An Entire Year of No Blog Posts

| August 25, 2015 | 15 Comments

It’s been a full year since I’ve written a post to the No Job for Mom blog (shame on me).

What has been happening in this past year? Well first and foremost, I’m a grandma! It doesn’t get much better than that! I won’t go on gushing about my grandchild. Suffice it to say he’s a sweet, beautiful little boy and I’ll leave it at that.

In the past year I haven’t been doing much writing online. As a matter fact aside from my journal I haven’t been doing much writing of any kind. As a result, my online writing income has plummeted. So much so that this is the first month since I started back in 2008 that my blogs didn’t reach the $100 Google AdSense payment threshold. That’s to be expected when you don’t add new content (and Google changes its algorithms).

If Not Writing What Have I Been Doing?

Grandson's Dresser

My grandson’s dresser

In the past year I’ve been working on up cycling and refurbishing furniture. I enjoy the challenges and the tree hugger in me enjoys repurposing something that would otherwise be tossed into the trash.

For a short period of time I went back to the traditional job market in the form of a part-time job proctoring exams. The up side to the proctoring job was the people. My co-workers were extremely enjoyable to be around. That made the job fun. The down sides were the hours and commutation time. Although the job was part-time, the few days I worked were very long days.

It didn’t take long for me to realize that working a traditional job just isn’t for me. I’ve been on the job/no job merry-go-round before, but this time I believe I’ve totally convinced myself that jobs aren’t for me. I need to set my own work schedule doing something I enjoy.

Going Forward

I’ll continue refurbishing furniture. Upcycling furniture is a moneymaking hobby, but not a full-time business. There’s money to be made refurbishing furniture, but I still prefer moneymaking options that allow me to earn while I sit sipping herbal tea at the local café.

The Writer’s Eye

As far as writing goes, I didn’t realize how far away from writing I had gotten. Writing is more than sitting at a computer or taking pen to paper. It goes much deeper than that. There’s what I like to call, “The Writer’s Eye.” I realized how far away from it I had gotten when I attempted to write a piece on a local event. I attended the event, enjoyed the event then came home to write about it. As I sat at the computer I realized I had so many gaps.The Writer's Eye

When a writer goes to an event that she is later to write about, she attends the event with her writer’s eye alert and attentive. The writer sees things that non-writers or should I say non-artists overlook. There’s an undercurrent that writers sense, experience and later transform into written word. Those observations are what makes a piece compelling.

Sad to say, I attended the event, came home, sat in front of my computer and came to the realization that my writer’s eye was asleep during the event. Don’t’ get me wrong, I enjoyed the event, but I attended the event as a patron and not a writer…big difference.

My self-challenge is to re-awaken the writer’s eye.

Theme Change

I also changed my blog theme from Thesis back to Solostream’s WP-Clear. I used the same theme on NJFM before but I had it so cluttered with posts and widgets that I just couldn’t stand it. I simplified things and went to Thesis. After some time I decided to go back to Solostream’s themes (yes, those are affiliate links) because I liked them better. I found them easier to configure so here I am, back again.  I’m still making tweaks, but that’s the nature of blogging.

News and Successes from NJFM Community Members

While blogging here on NJFM I met a slew of really nice folks. I’m guilty in not keeping up with everyone, but there are a few friends I’d like to make mention of and link to their blogs/books:

1. LegacyLoretta: Loretta wrote a book entitled Legacy.  She wrote the book so she could leave a family legacy for her children and family members, but her legacy went beyond that. In reading the book I realized how very much alike our families are. By changing the names and a few of the towns, that book could have been about my husband’s family. If you haven’t had a chance to read it, you should. I like Loretta’s humor and down-to-earth writing style.
  1. Impossible Beyond This PointCrystal: Crystal and her husband went on a 7-week road trip that she’s chronicling on her blog The Best 50 Years. She went through 12 US states (including Alaska) and 3 Canadian provinces. Crystal and her hubby planned this trip and managed to come home with enough money left over to put towards their next trip. Very inspiring! Speaking of inspiration, check out her husband’s book Impossible Beyond This Point that chronicles the Horn family’s big move from the city to the wilderness to establish their own homestead.
  1. Ken: Ken and his family moved to Hawaii. Am I jealous or what??!! Ken is kickin’ butt and takin’ names in Hawaii with his two blogs, Move to Hawaii  and Snorkel Store. Hearing from Ken got me to thinking about writing online again. He’s also got me thinking about moving to Hawaii, but that won’t happen anytime soon. 🙂

I know it’s been a long time, but I do hope everyone is enjoying some type of success. Feel free to share with us what you’re doing now, and if you’re still writing, where.

Tags: , , ,

Category: General

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Joni says:

Big congrats on the grandbaby. All my siblings have them and I am tapping my foot waiting for my two kids to add to the family.

I was so happy to see that you had written a post. Someone said you can keep the interest of an audience and they are right!

I’ve continued to improve as I go through deep therapy. It’s a lot of work but worth it. Turning 60 this year was no fun.

It’s always great to hear from you. It made my day.

God bless,

Joni

• F.A. Williams says:

Hiya Joni!

I guess it’s best for your kids to wait until they’re ready. As much as I love my grandson, I sure don’t want to be solely responsible for raising him. Not at this age.

I’m glad to hear the therapy is working for you. And as far as turning 60 goes…celebrate! Enjoy the wisdom you’ve gained over the years. Although there are some things I can’t do now as I used to do when I was much younger,I think I’m a better person now than I was so many years ago. Well, at least I think I am, no matter what my spouse and children say. 🙂

Hang in there Joni. The best is yet to come!

“You’re never to old to set another goal or dream another dream.”
      – C.S. Lewis

2. Ignatius says:

It’s good to see you back. Congratulations on the grandson. Little people are awesome.

Keeping up with the changes Google makes is challenging, but there is still a lot of opportunity for those who do the work. Some of the bigger players–like Demand Media–have been knocked down by the changes. It’s a lot more difficult for them to adjust. Smaller businesses are a lot more agile.

You did a great job with the blogging before and I’m sure you can do it again. You have the kind of writer’s voice that is perfect for attracting and holding an audience. You have the ability to build an audience that will keep coming back once they find you.

As for me, I haven’t been doing anything particularly noteworthy. Congrats to all of you who have new blogs and new books.

• F.A. Williams says:

Nice to hear from you Ignatius.

I’m not so sure how to proceed with online writing. Keeping up with Google changes is a full-time job and I’m not up to that challenge. This go ’round I’ll add in more private clients to buffer Google’s ups and downs. I’ve got a few ideas rolling around, but nothing concrete as yet.

First, congratulations on the new grandson, Felicia – grandkids are just the best thing ever! Second, I’m so honored to be mentioned and really appreciate the shout out for my blog and hubby’s book. Third, I love that you’re writing again and I’m sure you’ll get your writer’s eye back in no time. Now go love on that baby for me, ok?

• F.A. Williams says:

Hey Crystal. This grandma thing sure is fun. Who knows, maybe the blog should read No Job for Grandma. 🙂

4. Loretta says:

Felicia, I cannot describe how elated I was when I opened my email this morning and saw NJFM. Just as you said that Ken and some of your other readers were an inspiration to you, you were and continue to be an inspiration to me. Thank you for promoting my book and I intend to check out some of the books of the readers that you mentioned above. Let me again welcome you to the grandmother’s club. I am looking forward to more NJFM posts. God bless you.

• F.A. Williams says:

Thanks, Loretta. And the grandmother’s club…what a great club! My daughter just looks at me and shakes her head every time I get around the baby. He’s such a joy!

As far as writing goes, I’m hoping my flow is coming back.

5. Prerna Malik says:

Felicia!!! SO good to hear from you and HUGE congratulations on the new addition to your lovely family!!

I’ve been busy with the family, business and yes, am still writing!! LOTS:)

I look forward to reading more of your posts so DO awaken that writer’s eye FAST!!

Warmly,

Prerna

• F.A. Williams says:

Hi Prerna! So good to hear from you too. You often cross my mind.

Good to see you’ve stuck with writing and are very successful at it. You’re an inspiration. Glad to see that the whole family is involved. That makes it that much more special.

As I work on awakening my writer’s eye, visiting blogs like yours, Vidya’s, Ken’s and others will surely help me get back on the right track.

BTW, Content Bistro looks awesome!! I can’t believe how much your daughter has grown. She must love working with Mom and Dad.

6. Vidya Sury says:

Felicia! Would you believe that just yesterday I was going through my email archives and came across your old newsletters and read a few, along with the Monday motivation emails you started? It is so nice to see what you’ve been up to. Oh yes, practice practice practice is what keeps life going.

I’ve been blogging regularly (in fact, even started a couple more for fun). My son’s gone to college and I have a huge vaccuum where my house used to be. 🙂 Kidding! I am having fun trawling through his stuff.

Life is good. Life is better – to know you’re well.I am fondly thinking back to when I first “met” you on your blog so many years ago. You’re among the best!

Love and hugs, Vidya.

• F.A. Williams says:

It’s so nice to hear from you, Vidya. I see your enthusiasm for life has not waned one bit! Wow, your son is in college. Congrats to you and to him.

Writing here on NJFM and receiving comments from my friends is like coming home after a long trip. It’s always nice to be back home. 🙂

7. Ken says:

I’m glad that I got the chance to maybe inspire you! Awesome to chat and catch up and thanks for the shout out.

Ken

• F.A. Williams says:

Yeah Ken, you definitely did inspire me. I’ve got a few raw ideas bouncing around in my head. Thanks for the inspiration.