The Little Chitika Engine that Could

| October 2, 2012 | 8 Comments

ChitikaI know it’s been a while since I posted here, but I just had to share an observation. As you know, the last Google algorithm change has affected my income. My income and traffic decline has been slow and steady.

Back in March, my residual income was in excess of $3,000. Last month, it came in around $1,140 (numbers aren’t final). That’s a far cry from my residual heyday.

Small Ray of Light

During this time of decline, I’ve observed that even though my traffic is barely existent (comparatively speaking), my Chitika income has been increasing. No, I’m not earning a lot from Chitika, but I find it interesting to note that when all else is declining, Chitika has been chugging along.

After the algorithm change, my Chitika earnings dropped to $12.61 in April. Since then its been slowly improving as follows:

• May: $19.66
  • June: $28.43
  • July: $45.74
  • August: $53.62
  • September: $60.72

I know, that’s not a lot of money, but I’ve not done anything to warrant the increase. My traffic is dropping, I haven’t been adding new content to my blogs and my income everywhere else is dropping. Chitika has been a small light during this time of decline.Ray of Light

Capitalizing on Chitika

Since Chitika seems to be chugging through the storm with absolutely no help from me, I’m going to do a little experimenting. Not only am I going to add Chitika to my Chitika-less blogs, but I’m also going to give them a better position on my blogs. Who knows, I might even add some content here or there to help them along. I’ll take notes and share my outcome.

Honestly, since my numbers have dropped so precipitously, it’s a little painful to look at my earnings. As a result, I only check them near the end of the month to get an idea of how ugly things are. Chitika presents a pleasant challenge. If things go right, I might be able to stomach checking my earnings more than once a month.

I’m hoping your numbers aren’t falling as drastically as mine are.

(BTW: Yes, those are Chitika referral links and I also find Chitika works best on tech blogs/sites)

Tags: ,

Category: Chitika, Earning Money

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Joni says:

My ex-hubby said the saying this way: It’s better than a SHARP stick in the eyeball…LOL. I had never heard anyone else use it until now. Cool.
    Oh, I love tools too….learning to use them (and afford them) is also a bucket list goal for me.
    Take care,
    Joni

Joni, we have so much in common.

I’m taking my time learning these tools and all the things they can do. I’m finding that my road as an online writer has taught me a lot about not being afraid to fail. I take the proper precautions (evident in the fact that I’ve still got all my fingers and am able to type), make mistakes, learn and keep moving forward. It’s a fun journey.

2. Raji says:

Hi,
    I am a newbie just starting out, your blog is an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I’ll try chitika soon. Can I use chitika with adsense?

Raji

3. Ignatius says:

It’s good to see you posting here.

I noticed that Chitika now gives you the ability to offer mobile ads to anyone who connects via iOS or Android even if your website isn’t optimized for mobile. I never had much luck with Chitika in the past, but I’ve been considering giving that a try. It’s encouraging to hear that Chitika is working better for you.

Chitika also added a few other add types that I’m experimenting with. I’ll give it some time and share my outcome.

P.S. Good hearing from you, Ignatius.

4. Joni says:

Great to hear from you. I had to look twice on my email when I saw a note from NJFM…LOL. Hey any where there is a bright spot always helps. I know it must be depressing to go down like you have but think, at least you’re not making $0 each month. And what you are making is from work you’ve already done for the most part. You always “shine” to me.
    Take care,
    Joni

Hey Joni,

When I check my earnings, I can’t help but remember an expression my father uses all the time. “It’s better than a stick in the eye.”

Although my numbers have plummeted, I really can’t complain because it is better than a stick in the eye. LOL.

Lately I’ve been spending my time learning about power tools. I laugh at myself now because when I was younger, I threw caution to the wind. Now, when I stand in front of my table saw, I give it all the respect it deserves. I still have all 10 of my fingers, so far so good. Maybe next week I’ll actually turn it on an use it. 🙂