Infolinks Hiccup

| August 21, 2012 | 14 Comments

InfolinksI’m still a fan of Infolinks but I do want to share a recent scenario.

Infolinks has made a lot of changes and upgrades to their user interface. I’m thinking that with those changes a few things broke in the process. The broken item in my case is the ability to get paid.

They changed their terms of payment from 30 days after month end to 45 days. They may have sent out notifications of such changes, but if they did, I didn’t read it or receive it.

Anyway, I’ve been with Infolinks since 2008 and I had become accustomed to receiving my check around the first of the month for the prior month’s earnings. I’ve set up certain payment schedules based on these regular payments.

Changes This Month

At the end of the first third of this month, I noticed I had not received my usual beginning of the month payment. Not thinking much of it I waited until mid month. By mid month I checked my account and found that my earnings were being carried over to the following month. That usually happens if you don’t meet the minimum payment threshold.  My June earnings were in excess of $300, so the minimum earnings threshold didn’t apply.

Thinking there was a glitch, I emailed them. I didn’t receive a response (not even an acknowledgement of receiving my email) so I waited 24 hours and emailed them again. To the second email I received a response that said they would check into it.

Another day or so passed and nothing more. I sent a third email explaining I had been with Infolinks for quite some time and a fan. Additionally, I’ve recommended Infolinks here on NJFM to my readers (I hope my readers aren’t experiencing the same payment snafu that I am). I would really appreciate a more personal response.

A Response – Finally

I finally received a response acknowledging my email (don’t know which one) and that the matter was being investigated. The final outcome was a quick email that said:

Thank you for your patience.

After consulting with our Accounting Department, your earnings will be issued in the upcoming payment round by September 15th.

Should you need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to write me back.

OopsHave a nice day!

In other words, “You’re not getting paid this month.”  They didn’t even try to sweeten the email by saying “We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

Props to Google

Here’s an odd one. I’m actually giving props to Google. Several months ago Google had a similar snafu. The big difference in how Google handled the situation was they kept me well informed (communication is important). They acknowledged the problem and kept us up to date of the possible solutions.

Back then my Google earnings were in excess of $2,000 (those were the good old days). Anyway, as compensation for the inconvenience of skipping a month of payment, Google added a 5% bonus to my earnings.  No matter how much we love to hate Google, I thought that was a classy way to resolve the issue.

Going Forward

I’ve been with Infolinks since 2008 and have about 20 websites with them. I think it’s time for me to test the waters and spread the risk. I don’t spend nearly as much time online as I used to, but when I do spend time on line I don’t want it to be because I’m chasing payments.

As I test the waters, I’ll share my results.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Infolinks

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Anna says:

That’s the one thing about blog money I have found — it comes in rather inconsistently across the board. The companies say they pay net 15, net 30, etc. but I’ve found it’s usually give or take a day — or even a week or several weeks in your case!

As much as I love to earn money blogging, I have to admit that I have found it very challenging to budget around my blog income because of how sporadically the money comes in.

Early on in my blogging career I came to the same conclusion. As a result I created a rainy day fund. I regularly deposited a small portion of my earnings for those “just in case” times. The Infolinks snafu was one of those “just in case” times where I had to dig into my rainy day fund. Fortunately when they paid me I was able to reimburse the fund.

A rainy day fund takes away much of the stress of untimely payments.

2. Christina Crowe says:

Oh, never mind. I just read your comments. I’m happy to hear you’re getting compensation. 🙂

It’s good hearing from you, Christina. I’ll check out your new site to see what you’ve been up to.

• Christina Crowe says:

Thank you Felicia! The e-commerce store actually isn’t finished yet. I have all my items up on Etsy while I work on the website.

The store is actually pretty new, so I only have 15 items ready to be shipped. I’m also slowly improving on basic photography – something I haven’t needed until now! It’s been slow going, but I really appreciate your kind words and support. 🙂

There’s still so much more I need to learn about this new business venture, but I’m tackling each task one day at a time!

3. Christina Crowe says:

This is interesting. I had no idea Infolinks had made such a change as well. I’ve been with Infolinks for a year or so, though I don’t have nearly as many websites with them as you do (three at the time of writing this). I don’t make enough each month to receive payment by the month’s end, but I’m expecting a payment soon (I should reach the payment threshold at the end of this month). Now reading this, it’s really a bummer that payment will be withheld for a few more weeks.

I’m always looking for new ways to diversify and have tested numerous companies that offer in-text ads (since I don’t like cluttering the sidebar with advertising unless it’s my own). Infolinks was always the highest earner. But after reading how your payment was delayed without compensation for the wait, I might start looking into other alternatives again (or replace this revenue stream altogether). I don’t want to have to go through another eHow hiccup.

4. Geoff says:

Felicia:

Do you think Revenue Share is worth pursuing these days? I haven’t tried it yet, so I’m wondering if I’ve missed the boat on that one.

Geoff, things aren’t what they once were, but I think it’s worth a try.

Everyone has a different experience. If I were first starting out, I’d write for revenue share sites. You get to learn a lot about writing online while earning money. Once you’ve cut your teeth, you can venture out to new and different writing venues.

Although I no longer write for revenue share sites, I’m still earning money each month. It doesn’t get much better than that in my opinion.

5. Ignatius says:

Thanks for posting about your experience with Infolinks. Internet companies tend to come and go. It’s a good idea to stay on top of the news about the companies that produce income for you, but I don’t always do that. I appreciate the update. I hope it really was just one-time glitch that happened when they changed their payment dates.

6. Ken Muise says:

They monitor their brand pretty well. I can’t wait to hear what they say…

I did hear from Infolinks. They were apologetic about the incident and will expedite my payment.

Additionally, they’re including an extra $50 as compensation for the inconvenience.

The email was sincere and it did a lot to settle my ruffled feathers.