Happy New Year!

| January 1, 2012 | 21 Comments

Happy New YearI tried my best to stay away from the computer during the holiday season. I was marginally successful.

Anyway, it’s a new year and many of us are back with lofty goals.

My goals for this year aren’t too lofty. I want to increase my income without increasing my workload. I want a sustainable writing schedule and most of all; I want to continue enjoying what I do.

Looking Back

2011 was a good year. I had been smacked around a bit by the Panda but I believe I landed on my feet. I ended the year by achieving another milestone. I managed to reach the $3,000 residual income mark.

I even managed to become a temporary ticket holder to the Double O Club. I had a nice ride for the first 25 days of December. I was a full-fledged card-carrying member of the DOC right up until Christmas day. The day after I had to hand relinquish my membership card because my daily average dropped below $100 a day. While $96, $97, $98 and $99 a day aint bad, it doesn’t cover the daily cost of the Double O Club ticket.

Oh well, there’s always 2012.

Article Count and Earnings

In 2010 I wrote 753 articles in order to earn a total of $26,736.59. In 2011, I wrote 390 articles to earn $29,279.77 *(that’s not a final number since earnings are still trickling in).

I reduced my writing by nearly 50% and increased my earnings by about 10%. Not too bad considering the Panda beating most of us endured in 2011.

BTW, 99% of my 2011 earnings were from residual sources. Going forward, my goal is to make 2012 a 100% residual year. The only way I’ll accept up-front writing assignments is if the offer is just too good to refuse (and I mean it really has to be a good offer).

Secret to Online Residual EarningsSecret to Residual Earnings

What’s my residual income secret? Well, the secret is to stick with it. I’m no better a writer than any of you guys. As a matter of fact, I’ve read some of your work and you guys are good. Just stick with it, keep learning and the money will follow.

It’s a brand spanking New Year…let’s make the best of it!

*Earnings do not include eHow payout.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Holiday, Motivation

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Grandma says:

Great newsletter comments today! I even forwarded them to a few other people who could benefit. I am still thinking “new year” thoughts…starting each day with a big positive thought. The bullets of life keep on coming but positive thinking is sort of a shield. Got to keep it up there!

2. Ellie says:

Hi Felicia. Very nice site. Congratulations on your article writing earnings. I enjoy writing myself and it would be great to earn some cash with my writings. Do you have any tips?

Ellie

3. Tee Dungee says:

What a fantastic website. I just seemed to stumble on here while researching freelance info, and waalah. Congrats on all your accomplishments Felecia. I just left my 9-5 in May and getting my feet wet with freelancing. Just started trying out up-front content, and working toward my own residual writing and my manuscript. Happy 2012!

4. Edmund David says:

Nice post, thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. My journey isn’t unique. As long as we all stick with it, I believe 2012 has a lot in store for us, keep sharing.

5. Syn says:

Felicia — if it’s not too personal, do you mind sharing how many articles you have TOTAL to earn that amount. With this year and last you have close to 1,200 articles working for you.

Estimating for your past years, I’m guessing it takes more than 2,000 articles to near the double zero club (obviously niche/audience/CPR affects this).

I’m guessing people work for 8 months to a year to start bringing in several hundred??

I’d love to hear the timeline for when most people start making $1,000 or more on their blogs. With the Panda updates, I’m sure the past may not reflect the future though…

BTW, really like the the Tidbits and Blulow sites.

Syn, that’s a tough question to answer.

Over the years my writing shifted from writing for my own sites to content sites back to my own sites.

I’ve created, abandoned, combined and discarded online articles over the years so I don’t have a definitive number. While I do keep track (sort of) of the number of articles I’ve written, I don’t reduce the statistics when I discard, disable or combine articles.

The most important factor in my momentary admission to the Double O club was analyzing my writing. I’ve shared in several posts here that most of my residual writing follows the 80/20 rule. 80% of my writing accounts for 20% of my earnings while 20% of my writing accounts for 80% of my earnings.

It’s not so much how much I write, but writing efficiently. Since I zeroed in on my 20%, I sprinkle my writing with 20% topics to earn money and 80% topics to satisfy my writing creativity. I’ve found my 20% topic to be marginally interesting, but not interesting enough for me to concentrate 100% of my time on the topic. Not even for permanent admission to the Double O Club.

My suggestion to you is to track and analyze your writing.

Oh, and Tidbits and Blulow? They satisfy my creativity, but do very little for getting me into the Double O Club.

As far as how long it takes to earn a few hundred dollars a month, search NJFM for “earnings” as I share my journey in detail in several blog posts.

6. Felicia says:

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. My journey isn’t unique. As long as we all stick with it, I believe 2012 has a lot in store for us!

I fully expect to read a lot of success stories from you guys this year.

7. Michael says:

Happy New Year!

Speaking of the new year, any thoughts on SOPA?

8. Kelly says:

Congrats on your residual earnings this year. My plan is to whittle down my upfront pay sites and build up my passive income. I’ve wanted to do this for two years now and I finally have some time and a plan to devote to it. Your blog is an inspiration for me and others that I’ve seen comment on here.

9. Ken says:

See there you go, just gave everybody the secret pill they’ve been looking for….it’s a matter of sticking with it. 🙂 Congrats Felicia on having a stellar residual income year this year. Might as well congratulate you now, because it has already happened. 🙂

10. Loretta says:

Felicia, I agree with Crystal, you continue to be an ongoing inspiration for me also, as well as a strong role mole. I too tried to stay away from the computer during the holidays, but found it to be impossible. I am beginning to think that writing is an addiction for me, but a good one and hopefully it will be a prosperous one this year. I wish you the blessings of health, happiness and prosperity in the New Year.

11. Sher says:

Happy New Year to you, too! Persistence and focus seem to be two of the most important attributes to finding success as a freelance writer. This is even more true when we work toward a passive income. I have a lot to learn about creating a passive income, and it’s great you’re here to help us out along the way.

I have to say, too, that your inspirational newsletters are right on–they offer so much encouragement!

Thanks for all you do here and good luck with your new year of passive income!

12. Dianne says:

I missed you and I hope you have a great New Year! ( I kept coming back here looking for a new post, lol) Your stats are amazing and really inspiring. 2011 was the year that I laid my foundations. I don’t really have any monetary goals, I’m just trying to build up my social network for 2012.

13. Happy New Year to you and your family, dear Felicia! May all your dreams come true in 2012! Special thanks to you for your wonderful newsletters and the Monday Motivation.

14. Kristine says:

Congrats on your successes this year! Especially the days in the double O club. I know you’ve had your eye on that one for a long time.

15. Deanna says:

Happy New Year Felicia – I hope your success continues in 2012!

16. Happy New Year to you as well. I think you point out the key to success and that is simply persistence. That article I wrote one year ago will still get views every so often and after time, they all start to add up. Eventually, you just can’t help but seeing an increase in traffic and earnings.

Happy New Year, Felicia – way to go! You are an ongoing inspiration. I’m changing my focus a little and further diversifying for the coming year, which is (at least in part) thanks to you. I’ve about got the new site ready and am working on the domain name. May you have an extremely prosperous 2012!