≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu

You are here: Home » What a Difference a Few Years Make

What a Difference a Few Years Make

Thankful HeartI’ve made reference on this blog before to my electronic journal. I started journaling in August of 2001. I use an old software called Adobe FrameMaker (version 6). It was the same software I used in my tech writing days.

My journal is now over 1,100 pages. Back when I first started journaling I used to print my entries at the end of each month and insert them into a binder. I came across my journal binder while cleaning my closet this weekend. I noticed the last printing occurred in November 2007. Of course I abandoned cleaning my closet in favor of printing the rest of my journal.

Last Line Last Entry

While hole punching the December 2007 entry I happened to look at the last page. I had to chuckle because the last entry on December 31, 2007 ended as follows:

“I’m in awe! My numbers as of 8:18 this morning are averaging a little over $10 per day! I’ve got to take a minute to give thanks!”

Fast Forward to November, 2011

I’m so glad I stuck with this stuff. My $10 a day earnings have increased several fold. My daily average residual earnings for November 2011 were $96.30. I’m still shy of the $100 per day number, but a far cry from $10 a day.

With my $96.30, I give thanks just as I did when I earned $10 a day. I’m thankful I stuck with it. I’m also thankful that I’m earning money doing something I used to do for free. In a time of economic upheaval, earning money residually from the comfort of your home is nothing to take for granted.

Create a Journal

If you don’t already have a journal, I encourage you to do so. Journals don’t require profound, earth-shattering entries. Sometimes the entries are as simple as giving thanks for earning $10 a day.

If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up for NJFM’s Motivation for Writers Newsletter.
A dose of motivation will be sent to your inbox every Monday.

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Vidya Sury, Freelance Writer & Blogger December 3, 2011, 6:07 am

Bless you, Felicia. You’re such an inspiration. It is a joy to read what you write.

• Felicia December 3, 2011, 6:58 am

You’re pretty inspirational yourself, Vidya. 🙂

• Kevin Martyn December 3, 2011, 6:17 am

The great thing about establishing a new profit stream is the level of revenue it produces can always be improved! The hardest part is just getting that profit stream established and once the ball is rolling everything becomes so much easier. You can always change direction, but not when you’re standing still.

It’s great that you are getting close to your target goal of $100 day, perhaps this time next year you’ll be using the $200 day mark!

Kind regards

Kevin

• Felicia December 3, 2011, 6:57 am

Welcome to NJFM, Kevin.

$200 a day, that sounds delicious! 🙂

• Shelley December 3, 2011, 10:15 am

I like what you said, Kevin-“You can always change direction, but not when you’re standing still.”

Once I started moving, Newton’s Law started kicking in.

• cashflowmantra December 3, 2011, 7:51 am

Congratulations. It can be amazing to look back at times and see the progress even though it doesn’t seem like we are moving at the time. I think you will have $200 per day at some point for sure. Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later.

• Felicia December 3, 2011, 10:38 am

Kidgas (you’ll always be Kidgas to me), I hope it’s sooner than later. 🙂

• Shelley December 3, 2011, 10:13 am

Thank you for sharing, again, about your journal. That’s really what my website is all about. If anyone can go away with something that will give them hope and encouragement, then it was worth it. It also allows me to see my own growth.

On another note-I want to share that I finally went to Elance, made my first bid, and landed my first job. I’m encouraged to keep going. Thank you for being the well I can come and be refreshed from.

• Felicia December 3, 2011, 10:39 am

Whoo hoo! Congrats, Shelley! You’re on your way!

• Glenda December 4, 2011, 12:47 am

The real gem in your post is about being thankful, but it’s nice to hear some positive and encouraging words.

• Ken December 4, 2011, 4:18 am

You know Felicia, there are a lot of other people who are glad you stuck with this stuff too. You’ve always been an inspiration.

I never thought about a journal. It is good to reflect on where you’ve been and appreciate so much where you are now. The lessons we’ve learned. 🙂

• Felicia December 4, 2011, 5:31 pm

Ken, you and I both know it’s all about sticking with it. 🙂

• Deanna December 4, 2011, 4:50 pm

Felicia, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing this post – it encourages everyone and lets them know that it is possible to become successful if you stay focused and work hard at it. Hope your income continues to grow in 2012! 🙂

• Felicia December 4, 2011, 5:33 pm

Deanna, the more I do this, the more I realize it’s all about not giving up. I think I’m an OK writer (with a comma and hyphen problem), but I believe my tenacity more than anything else is responsible for my financial growth.