Playing Around with AdSense

| November 30, 2011 | 16 Comments

Ad SpaceAbout two weeks ago I made a small change on one of my blogs. I changed one of the Google AdSense ad block size from 300×250 to 336×280.

I had always shied away from large AdSense blocks because I never wanted them to take up too much of the screen real estate. However, the change in real estate from 300×250 to 336×280 is barely noticeable.

Results of Changing Ad Size

Since I had made other AdSense changes right around the same time, I had to pay attention to the click through rate (CTR) instead of the overall change in income.

Comparing this month’s CTR prior to the change and the CTR after the change, my CTR average increased by a little over 3%. That may not sound like much, but a 3% increase over time ads up.

My hubby refers to golf as a game of inches. Earning money online is very similar. Sometimes (very rarely) you hit a hole in one, but most time it’s tweaking and improving one stroke at a time.

I’m off to tweak the rest of my blogs.

If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up for NJFM’s Motivation for Writers Newsletter.
A dose of motivation will be sent to your inbox every Monday.

Tags: ,

Category: AdSense, Earning Money

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. neni says:

I have been thinking to make a change of ads size. But, I don’t know it will be permitted by Google or not. By your experience, I think to do it soon

2. Edward G Gordon says:

I have to admit I’m not a fan of adsense. I have used it on some of my sites but with very mixed results. When it’s good it’s very good but when it’s bad…

There is also the danger of overuse – Google have slapped down a few sites since the panda update started for having adsense over optimized.

I don’t pretend to understand the logic but I know that I am currently exploring alternative passive income options with a view to cutting adsense out altogether. I don’t trust google or the adsense program to remain a profitable income stream.

I know that the income can be very good, but every google algorithm change can impact earnings and has done.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to feel this way. What do you think Felicia?

I agree with you Edward. It’s a dangerous game to rely solely on Google AdSense.

The money is nice when it comes in, but it can stop at any time. I guess the philosophy on using AdSense is to enjoy it when the money is good, but always look for other options.

3. Kristine says:

Is it a site that gets a good amount of return visitors? Will be interesting to see if that 3 percent sticks. Often when you chance ads/ad networks or anything you get more clicks at first because readers see something new.

Kristine, my top 6 sites are sites that don’t have a normal or usual following. NJFM is the only site with repeat visitors. Well, I do have another site with repeat visitors, but it’s not one of my top 6.

4. Nice golf comparison! Now I want to tweak my Adsense and my golfing handicap…

5. John says:

This is something I’m dealing with right now as I just got Adsense a month ago. Once I see some consistency, I think finding the right places for Adsense will be much better for all my different blogs.

6. Dianne says:

I’m actually using my new site to test out AdSense, I was inspired solely by you 🙂
    I’m curious to see what will happened, plus it’s getting crawled really fast which is pretty interesting. I want to start monetizing my other sites in the next year.

Diane, I’m glad you decided to give AdSense a try. It takes a while before you start to earn, but once you start it seems to keep growing.

• Dianne says:

Google already slapped it down 🙁
        I guess they just want me to live in a cardboard box and contribute free content for them forever. I’m pretty irritated. I already have 3 other blogs that are not monetized at all.

7. Deanna says:

Funny how small changes can make a difference. Love the comparison to golf and inches – so true. Every cent counts! 🙂

8. I hope that the change continues to work out for you and works across all of your blogs. With a large number like that, the impact could be substantial.