Disable Twitter/Facebook Posting in Dragon NaturallySpeaking

| November 29, 2011 | 9 Comments

NaturallySpeaking Voice Recognition SoftwareSometimes I like to use NaturallySpeaking voice recognition software to write my posts, articles or even my e-books. I started using voice recognition software a few years ago and haven’t quite mastered it yet. I decided to use it more so it could help me in my flurry of new writing activity.

NaturallySpeaking 11.5

The version I’m using, 11.5, has a neat feature, which makes it easier to post to Twitter and Facebook. Because I like to look at the glass half full, I’ll call it a neat little feature (actually, it’s a pain in the rear).

The feature allows you to quickly dictate a new tweet or post to Facebook just by telling the software to do so. By giving it the command of either “tweet that” or “post to Facebook” NaturallySpeaking opens a small dictation window. For tweets the window holds the maximum of 140 characters. I’m not too sure of the character limitation for the Facebook window.

Unwanted Software Feature

Since I don’t post to Facebook nor do I tweet, this feature is wasted on me. The problem I have with this cool feature is that during my dictation, the software mistakenly thinks I want it to tweet something so it activates the “Post to Twitter” window that only holds 140 characters.Post to Twitter

When I dictate, I pace away from the computer. Imagine my surprise when I return to home base only to see the difficult concept I was attempting to explain had been reduced to a 140-character tweet! This has happened one time too many and I’ve yet to find the menu option in NaturallySpeaking to disable it.

A Hack Workaround

Not wanting to waste additional time playing around the software, I did a Google search on how to disable the post to twitter or post to Facebook NaturallySpeaking option. I came across this blog post (NaturallySpeaking Tips and Tricks) that was a lifesaver.

Apparently, I’m not the only one who doesn’t like/need/use the feature. After following the instructions, I was able to disable the post to Twitter and post to Facebook feature. It’s unfortunate that NaturallySpeaking didn’t put a quick and simple way to disable the feature in the software.

I look at my software as a tool to help me accomplish a given task. It should not become the task.

Tags: , ,

Category: Tools, Writing

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. ZenEric says:

Thanks for that. Saved me oodles of time.
    Noted comment that it might be good for visually impaired which is true but only if it announces itself to the user.
    Dragon 12 is very reliable with most accents provided it is set up properly and diction is as clear as a newsreader. I’ve been using it for several years, since version 10 and find it’s 95% accurate and easily corrected.

2. David says:

The program seems to have problem understanding the Australian accent…. Anyone else experiencing this from down under of course? 😀

3. Joni says:

I’ve read before about you using the software and you had so-so reviews. I am bad about not learning to use the tool which makes it useless to me. I’m still trying to figure out everything Windows 7 does…LOL.

Glad I’m not the only one that does not Twitter. I only use FB rarely for old, old friends I remet after a reunion. I don’t like it b/c I don’t need anything else that wastes my time.

It’s so good to see you coming back after wanning for a while. We just need a break once in a while. Esp. as hard as you work.

Thanks for being here.
    Joni

4. Erica says:

I’ve been thinking of using voice recognition software for blogging as well. I still haven’t decided which one to choose. Thanks to you, I have to review this Dragon software and see what features it has!

5. Byrd says:

Felicia I used an earlier version of Dragon Speak about 2 years ago before their was a Twitter or Facebook feature. At the time they still had a lot of room for improvement. I would be curious to hear what your experience is with this newer version. If they have worked out the kinks it could save me a lot of time posting on our WAHM job board blog.

Byrd, I had my first experience with NaturallySpeaking many moons ago with version 4 or something equally ancient. Back then I found it to be a novelty, but not practical.

Fast forward many years to version 9. Version 9 was the first version I took seriously. I used it and found it to be leaps and bounds above version 4, but it still had its quirks.

I upgraded to version 10 and stayed with that for a few years until I recently upgraded to version 11. Version 11 was good, but I find their most recent patch (or version) 11.5 to be the quickest and most accurate. The biggest issue I had so far was the Twitter/Facebook thing.

I’ve used NaturallySpeaking intermittently over the years and have found it to be helpful, but with 11.5 I’m willing to take the time to really learn and utilize the software. I believe that if I can master this software as I’ve mastered a few other useful tools, my productivity will really soar.

Bottom line, I think it’s worth the upgrade.

6. Deb says:

My guess is that this feature would really help someone who is blind. I’m in a marketing group with a fellow who is blind and is developing a website to teach blind people how to do use the Internet to make money. Pretty cool idea, isn’t it?

Deb, I see your point. They have a lot of neat features that help the blind and individuals who otherwise could not type due to a disability. My point is they should modify the software to help folks to enable and disable features as they see fit. Sighted or blind, having your article chopped down to 140 characters is annoying.

The workaround that I used would be a lot more a blind or disabled person to implement.