Out of Communication for a Bit

| October 31, 2011 | 11 Comments

SnowI was one of the fortunate folks to have been hit by the recent early winter storm. As a result, I’m in the dark. Our generator pull string decided to give up the ghost so we’re really in the dark. No power, no Internet, no hot water…life is good!

I’m thankful for our  gym membership (nice hot showers) and Bad Ass Coffee  shop (yes, that’s the name of the coffee shop). Not only do they have great coffee but they have a comfortable couch for me to sink into as I sit with my netbook and portable keyboard to reconnect with the outer world (The reggae music here aint so bad either).

When my power company sees fit to restore my power, things will get back to normal. In the meanwhile, we are operating in survival mode.

Tags: ,

Category: Freelance, Self Employed, Working from Home

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. I love the idea of coffee shops, but since I don’t like coffee, they’re kinda lost on me. I always read the bar column in the local weekly newspaper, but I don’t drink, so much of what happens in that column is beyond my understanding too.

Gip

Honestly, I think the atmosphere is more important than the coffee. Grab a cup of tea/bottle of water, a comfortable seat and observe. It’s best to have something to read while observing so people won’t think you’re a stalker or a weirdo. 🙂

A non-drinker hanging out at a bar is a whole different matter. Not something I would recommend.

2. Robin C says:

Best of luck to you and your family, Felicia!

3. Stay warm and safe, Felicia! We got the snow and my sister who lives near me lost power but ours only flickered — I hope yours is back on ASAP.

4. Vidya Sury says:

🙂 I noticed your absence. Good to know you’re in good spirits in spite of what many people would consider quite a disaster. I mean, imagine being snowed under like that without power! God bless your gym! 🙂

In our part of the world we’re quite used to fairly frequent random power outages that last for hours, although most people use inverters to keep themselves connected. Still, not having something you’re used to can be tough. I like how you’re appreciating what you do have, because I’d do the same. Hugs, Felicia. Looking forward to your next nugget of wisdom!

5. Loretta says:

Felicia, so sorry to hear about your power failure. Good luck in riding out the residual of the storm. Hope that you are soon back in the light.

Wow, Felicia! It is WAY too early in the year for that kind of weather. Hope your power is restored soon and that you have a Happy Halloween!

7. Ken says:

Stay safe, warm, caffeinated and clean!

8. Deanna says:

Wow – have you been hit with snow! We usually have a snowstorm every Halloween but his year it’s sunny and in the 40’s. (Not bragging – okay, maybe a little!) Hope they get your power on very soon – nothing worse than a long power outage. Glad you have your gym and coffee shop – how in the world did they ever get the town to allow Bad Ass Coffee? Love it!

Deanna, I have to admit, I got a little prudish when I first saw the name of the shop. I eventually went into it and loved it. Their little mascot (the little ass) is the cutest little donkey you ever want to see. Not only that, the coffee is great. They also serve a few vegan dishes which I’m going back to try. I’m not vegan but am always looking for healthy places to eat.