Something Different this Morning

| October 25, 2011 | 33 Comments

Too Much CoffeeI know, my last post mentioned that this post would be about maximizing blogs, but I got side tracked (this happens when I have too much coffee).

I decided to try something a little different this morning.

[audio:http://www.nojobformom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Too-Much-Coffee.mp3|titles=Too Much Coffee]

(I was pacing a little too much when I recorded this because I periodically walked out of range)

Tags: , ,

Category: Chat, Motivation

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Amy Turner says:

This is so true, that “we get what we think about.” So if we expect success, we must think success. I like, too, your advice that he review his philosophy. By the way it’s nice to hear you! have a great day 🙂

2. What a pleasure to hear your voice! These days I enjoy my breaks by visiting your blog and lurking around 🙂

Thank you, Felicia.

3. Melissa says:

I love it, Felicia! This was a great!

4. Grandma says:

Guess what? I thought about books-on-tape way before they came out. Brochures-on-disk also. The eBooks are awesome for writers who always wanted to be published but only got back rejection letters from print publishers. And you can’t beat the low cost of selling eBooks. I LOVE eBooks! Especially my own! I have a new one in progress…very funny one…can’t wait to get this one done.

• Alexander says:

Hey Grandma, I hope Felicia doesn’t mind me steering the subject in another direction for a moment or a short conversation between commenters – but what is your take on ebooks as far as making a living as an author as opposed to publishing for the paper pushers? Is it something to look into seriously? I see you are doing it so it must be worth your time.

• Grandma says:

Hi Alexander – I LOVE eBooks! As someone who has over (shudder) 50 years trying to get into print, the eBook was way easier. I did do some print work when I was with an ad agency, a Michigan local 3 county guidebook for newcomers that paid a nice two grand, including my photo work. That was a long time ago. My first endeavor is a saga book, one of three parts completed, about radio station copywriter life…ha ha.. I was one for a long time.

My eBook (Grandmas Little Black Book – Writing for Textbroker) was a project of love and it has proven to be very nice financially. I wanted to help others, and most have indicated they liked the book a lot and found it very helpful.

I have two others in progress and one other for sale, about selling on eBay. It has not sold nearly as well as the writing one, but then I never really advertised it yet. One of the others in progress will be very funny, hopefully. The other is more serious.

I would think that if a writer had several, maybe a dozen eBooks, going for sale that they could do very well. Some writers sell their eBooks on Smashwords and report good success there.

I see the entire print industry as becoming dinosaur-like in the future. People, especially young people, are so in tune with all the electronic modes of communication today. Everything is so different than when I was younger. It is hard to adjust; old dogs, you know.

I just cleared out a shed full of old stuff, including some old rejection letters. EBooks can be created quickly if you know what you are talking about. Have you downloaded the one Felicia has offered for free on this website?

I did mine in WORD and like to send it out myself, since I am not inundated with orders. I may seek other outlets; I have it as a commission product on two or three websites at this point. Save it as a PDF and go for it. I know there are other programs that are no doubt better for eBook production, but right now, this fits. If someone steals a copy…well that happens all the time online; all but impossible to prevent. I just hope for some ethics and honesty out there.

Pricing is critical. If you have a real popular eBook and only make a dollar each, it’s a bonus if you sell 50,000 copies, right? If you charge $50 for a technical tips manual, your audience is limited; you might sell 100 and make $5000, which also is good, right?

Give it a try. You have little or nothing to lose and the results can be tons quicker and faster than if you go the print route. Also, once you are established as an eBook writer, you have product to show to print editors in your quest to be “published”.

I only expect the electronic publishing world to grow by leaps and bounds, it’s the future and it is here. Read an old book by Marshall McLuhan – the Medium is the Message. Or, Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. Oldies but goodies and all about today.

• Alexander says:

Wow, thank you for all that!

You indicate one of the ingredients for success is basically marketing – getting the word out. I have heard so often that in the modern paper publishing industry that even authors that get published, have to do a lot of marketing because the publisher won’t do it for them unless they are very special. Since I think all writers are special, then everything’s equal and I might as well self publish. Ebooks is the perfect answer (even though I will always prefer a pocket-size paperback) and it seems to make the most sense with all those “pads” out there. Plus the fact that your work has a much better chance at being read instead of being denied by a publisher.

Yes I did download Felicia’s, “So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer.”

I can’t believe you make your books available in Word! That’s the other thing, replication. When the Nook became popular, an acquaintance told me you could download books for free – just like pirate sites. It’s one thing to pass a paid for book along to a friend or even to resell it, but ebooks can be replicated 🙁

I do feel that electronic media is where it is going, and it is good to hear from someone who is actively doing it that this is so. I also like the cheap pricing found with Kindle on Amazon, it gives you the option to try and sell more for less and hopefully increase what ends up in your pocket.

Thanks for all that – whew! I’ll check out Smashwords and see if I can find the books by Toffler and McLuhan. You are a treasure trove of information. And thanks Felicia for letting us hang out in the comment section and chat.

5. Grandma says:

Girl, new career…audio tips. You can sell them in syndication for radio station use.

6. Dusty Snoke says:

Felicia, I do not typically comment on blogs (I know shame on me) but I really enjoyed your latest post. I agree with an earlier post, you should try out radio (I should know my husband was in radio for a few years). I have also seen an increase in my hubpage earnings. I only have 12 but I hope to write a few more if I find time. Thanks for all the encouragement and great advice.

I was hesitant to place an audio post on NJFM, but I’m pushing myself a bit to get out of my comfort zone.

I’ve been frustrated because my income has been pretty much holding steady. I guess holding steady is good, but I want growth. As some of my mentors say (I’m paraphrasing), “The only way to get something that you’ve never had before is to become someone you’ve never been before.”

Writing comes easy; speaking in public (or even on audio) does not. Since I’m exploring and experimenting in several different areas, I appreciate your encouraging feedback.

A year or so from now I’ll come back to listen to this audio and cringe (actually, I’m cringing already). 🙂

I wish growth was easier.

7. Bonnie Doss-Knight says:

Felicia: I’ve followed you for years and have come to admire and respect you and your work ethics. Now, like others, I feel I know you a bit better.

Your optimism is contagious and will spread good cheer to many writers.

warm regards,
    Bonnie

8. Liz says:

As a newbie freelancer, I sometimes wish that I had started out sooner. I always have to remind myself that I needed to adjust my attitude first. Writing is a journey, and if you’re not properly prepared the journey can become a disaster that you never want to revisit.

Patience with yourself and the time it takes to gain momentum is key.

That’s my two cents, anyway! 😀

9. Alexander says:

It was really great to hear your voice. At the airport I fantasize about meeting some of the authors and especially bloggers I respect and love, and this felt like I met you. Wish I could return the favor 🙂
    I will say that although I enjoy listening to certain talk radio stations when I get the chance (usually when driving), I don’t tune in to podcasts or talk radio at home at all and have no desire to. Because I love your writing and because I treasure your advice, I was totally prepared to listen and enjoyed it. I would never normally tune into an audio cast, but I will listen to every one of yours!

On a different note but related to your message today, you may or may not remember that I asked about the right time to open my blog up for traffic, and especially after considering your response on the matter, I decided to open it up after 3 posts were ready to go instead of 5 like you mentioned or my quota of 10. I still need to add a few more pages of information and continue with posting more content, but I felt it was the right thing to do and decided to follow what felt natural. Thanks Felicia for everything and for what is to come, I’ll keep you updated here as I move forward.

One more thing, I don’t know yet if Hubpages is truly improving, but my income keeps rising every month and it is getting interesting. I think you’re right about having the right attitude and you may have mentioned that different things work better for different people, I am wondering if HP is one of those things for me! I only say this because someone else (like the college student who emailed you) might need the encouragement to try his or her hand at something they looked down on before.

Thanks for listening, Alexander. I’m also glad that you’re experimenting with your blog and doing what feels right for you.

You might be onto something with HubPages. I did notice an uptick in earnings over last month’s earnings and the month isn’t quite over yet. I guess if I had more articles there I might notice a bigger change.

Ever since Panda 2.5 hit, on a per article basis, my HubPage earnings have been outshining my Suite earnings. Imagine that.

• Alexander says:

HP doing better than Suite? Well, I’m not making 60 dollars per article yet! 😀 If things work out with HP, I will probably be going over to Suite also, although I hate to be a part of another “big system” (as opposed to my own personal website for revenue), it might be a good intermediate residual money maker.

10. Ken Muise says:

Awesome! (Besides the New York accent which actually caused me to shiver a little!) I tend to go into stuff OVERLY optimistic which wreaks havoc on my patience. Great message, though, Felicia. When I first started blogging I felt like I was “married” to anything I put on the web, however…I quickly found that you gotta’ go with what is working AND makes you feel good doing!

We should try an “Irish Coffee” chat someday…a “Champagne breakfast” if you will-and really get you spilling your guts!

Peace,

Ken

LOL! I really should have pulled out my heavy duty Bronx accent to really frost your liver!

Not so sure about Irish coffee of Mimosas but a glass or two of Chardonnay in front of a fireplace and you’ll hear more than you want to know. 🙂 If that does happen, however, the recording will have to undergo 24 hours of editing before anyone hears it. LOL

Very cool, Felicia – too much fun to actually hear you. And a great message, as well. I don’t have sound on my computer (not enough power outlets to plug in the speakers) but my hubby is way into music so I just hopped over to his laptop and put on the headset. Please do audio posts once in a while and I’ll just commandeer his computer again so I can join in:)

I’m thinking of doing chats every once in a while. I put this first one out to see just how much improving I’ve got to do. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Glad you enjoyed it.

12. Dianne says:

I recommend adding the text below so that people can still search for the material through Google 🙂
    Really really nice idea though. In the future I would like to add video and audio to my blog.

13. Sher says:

It was great to hear your voice on your post today! What a great way to mix things up a bit! I enjoyed it and found your message very helpful. I also enjoyed you sharing the authors who have motivated you along the way!

Have a great day,
    Sher :0)

Thanks Sher. I’m working on compiling the complete list of books that helped me along the way. In addition to library books, there are quite a few I had to purchase since they weren’t available in my library system.

14. Loretta says:

Your spoken words are a very nice touch, Felicia. And the advice you delivered to the student and your loyal followers is – as always – on point. BTW, judging from the smooth inflection of your voice, if you ever decide to quit you day job as a blogger (please don’t!), you are a shoe-in for a radio host.

15. Michael says:

“There are too many opportunities out there for any of us to waste our time being unsuccessful.” I like that. Thanks for the different type of post. Was a nice change up.

16. Grandma says:

How neat! The smile of the day…actually hearing your voice when all we have had before were words. Fun, thanks!

A long time ago I read a “horsey” book, about a jumping horse. The rider’s philosophy was to visualize jumping the fence upon the approach and the horse would follow. It worked. Perhaps the same is true in other areas of life. Imagine success and it will follow? This was the theme of a great book by Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich. And a zillion others.

Good point.

On the other hand, focusing on proven successful ventures is also a good idea; forget the other stuff that you just don’t believe in or want to do.

I don’t know…I am still searching for answers…

Grandma, it’s interesting that you should mention Napoleon Hill and the rest of the crew. I recently took a look at my reading history. I’m able to check my book history from my library’s online account. I was pretty amazed to discover that from January 2010 until now I’ve read 94 books. It comes to an average of about 1 a week.

Of those 94 books the majority of them were motivational books including Napoleon Hill, Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy, Jack Canfield and more. If it weren’t for those guys (and some of the biographies I’ve read), I wouldn’t have changed my view of life around.

I wasn’t always a glass half full type of gal. As a matter of fact, there were times when I was a “why do things always happen to me” type of gal. Things still happen to me, but I look at things much differently.

17. Jackie says:

I really liked this alternative post and it has a great message too. My blog is still a baby and only has four posts even though it’s been up for a few months. I know my attitude is holding me back. It’s clear to me, from yours and other’s statistics, that wordpress blogs can be very profitable. I have a hard time envisioning that success for my blogs. It’s time to change that attitude.