≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu
You are here: Home » Google AdWords Scam Alert

Google AdWords Scam Alert

The following email showed up in my inbox today:

Click for Larger Image

The sender’s address was Google AdWords <adwords-noreply@google.com>. At first I was a little concerned, but then I read the email carefully.  There were two things that struck me:

1. I don’t use Google AdWords
  2. Just take a look at the grammar

There’s a hyperlink in the email that I’m sure will take me to a Google AdWords look-alike site if I were to click on it, but I’m not clicking on the link (and caution you against clicking on it too if you should receive such an email).

I tried reporting the phishing scam to Google using their suspicious email report form but received the following email auto response within minutes of submitting the report:

Hello,

We understand the urgent nature of your message and recommend that you
visit the Gmail Privacy & Security Help Center at
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12784 for immediate
assistance.

If you’d like to report a Gmail user who has sent messages that violate
the Gmail Program Policies and/or Terms of Use, please fill out a report
form at
We’ll investigate your report and may send a warning or discontinue Gmail
service for users who violate our policies.

If your issue is not related to abuse, please visit our Help Center at
http://mail.google.com/support/ or click ‘Help’ at the top of any Gmail
page for troubleshooting tips.

Sincerely,

The Google Team

*********
This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does not
accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

The response was a little disappointing since I’m not reporting  Gmail abuse.  Unfortunately, I didn’t want to spend the day going around in circles trying to report this phishing attempt, so it went unreported except for what I’m reporting here.

{ 6 comments… add one }
  • Crystal June 20, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the alert. Too bad Google wasn’t appropriately responsive. Seems they need to broaden their scope when it comes to reporting suspicious emails.

• Deanna June 20, 2011, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the heads-up – there are so many scams out there. Also loved the video on your Father’s Day post – sent it out to some friends.

• Alexander Mark June 21, 2011, 4:39 am

Google is the absolute worst at being available for resolving problems. twice I tried to get in touch with SOMEONE at Google and when I thought I had finally found the contact page, I was routed back to the page previous to the page where I thought I found the link. Basically just going in circles and Google repeating that I should check the user forums. I’m not into, “group learning,” when it involves an overseer who can and should easily answer my questions. It’s irritating!

• Gina K June 21, 2011, 7:44 am

I fear that Google has lost touch with the human race as of late. I had a similar experience when trying to contact the company with an Adwords issue (I use the service). Their customer service emails cascaded into endless bot reply loops. I ended up cancelling my account and moved to Bing.

In contrast, on Microsoft’s BING ad network, a 100% human customer service rep. contacted me by phone to ask if I had any questions about the service. I’ve had several questions since, and they get back to me right away. Funny, I never thought I’d find myself rooting for Microsoft!

• Felicia June 21, 2011, 8:17 am

That’s good to know, Gina. I’ve been operating in a bubble and didn’t even realize Bing had an ad program. Guess I’ll have to try it out on one of my blogs.

• Alexander Mark June 21, 2011, 4:25 pm