The other day I was doing some online research and I came across an article that sounded familiar. As I read the article I realized it was a poorly spun rendition of one of my articles. A few words were changed here and there but there was no doubt in my mind that it was my article.
Filing a DMCA
In the past when I filed a DMCA against an offending website, I filed it with the hosting company. The hosting company in that case was HostGator and they made it very easy to have the copyrighted information removed. This time around it isn’t so straight forward. The domain registrant used a private service to hide the Who Is information.
Not being able to access the web hosting company info, I decided on plan B; contact the site’s advertisers. Naturally, they had AdSense ads plastered all over so it was easy to determine which advertiser to contact.
Filing a DMCA with Google
I went over to Google’s site and completed their DMCA form. Just like HostGator, they make it easy to file the report.
I completed the necessary information on June 2nd and clicked “Submit.” Imagine my surprise when 4 days later I received a response from the Google team. They notified the offending website to which the site responded It wasn’t my fault, it was the unscrupulous freelancer’s fault…” or something to that effect. They immediately removed my work.
Google left it up to me to pursue the matter further. If I wanted to expend the time and effort, I could push to have their account removed from the AdSense program, but I didn’t think that was necessary. I just wanted them to remove my work.
Score one for the home team!