≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu
You are here: Home » New DMS Format

New DMS Format

I know that Demand Media Studios gets bashed around a lot on line. Despite the fact it is one of the few places online that consistently pays (and twice a week at that) it does get negative press. I’m guilty of bashing them a time or two (well not really bashing DMS, just airing frustrations about some of the CEs). Just to let you know, this is not an about-face on my part. I still have some of the same DMS frustrations, I am pleased with their recent format change.Demand Media Studios

New DMS Format: Topic View

The other day as I was browsing around looking for assignments and I noticed a new format called Topic View. I tend to stick with what I know and do it quickly. I try to be as efficient as possible because at $15 a pop I can’t afford to spend too much time on any one article.

When I first saw the new Topic View format, I didn’t bother trying it. I wasn’t in the mood to learn a new format. I wanted to write a few quick How to articles and get on with it.

Becoming Adventurous

Well, the other day I was feeling a little adventurous and I decided to try one. What I found was it was that the format is so much easier than writing a How to. Using the Topic View format is similar to writing a real article. You get to select a topic, choose the angle you wish to present and then address it accordingly. No more starting sentences with actionable words or rewording steps in a fashion to make it fit the How to guideline. This is the closest I’ve come to a real writing to Demand Studio since I started writing for them.

Easy RepurposingArticles

The best part about the Topic View format is that if DMS rejects or requests an unreasonable rewrite, the article is already in a user-friendly format that makes it easy to upload elsewhere. No longer do I have to change my actionable steps into article sub-headings to make it fit in on another site. All I have to do is copy, paste and viola!

I’ve only done a few of them and they all have gone through without a hitch. I get the feeling that since the Topic View format is closer to real writing, we all may see a decline in rewrites and rejections (I hope).  🙂

{ 19 comments… add one }
  • Allison December 7, 2010, 10:45 am

I’ve been writing the topic view for a few weeks now under a special assignment. I have also found that it is much, much simpler. I get about half of the rewrites I did before and actually somewhat enjoy writing about my given topic!

• Felicia December 7, 2010, 11:03 am

Allison, did you hear what you said? You actually used the words “somewhat enjoy” in a thread about DMS! I can’t believe that we’ve actually come to the point where we can “somewhat enjoy” writing something for DMS. 🙂

What is the world coming to? LOL!

• Ken December 7, 2010, 9:27 am

“Using the Topic View format is similar to writing a real article.”..lol I love that line Felicia. You know you have written too many How-To articles when you talk to people and use actionable verbs with each sentence. haha

I have not tried one of their Topic Views but I may after reading your experience.

• Grandma December 7, 2010, 10:09 am

Moi aussi!

• Felicia December 7, 2010, 10:24 am

Grandma, I had to look that one up on the Internet. 🙂

• Grandma December 7, 2010, 10:54 am

LOL (English)
    I once had a dream in French…but it was in black and white! Took French (& Latin)in high school, and in college.

• Deanna December 7, 2010, 12:45 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Felicia. It sounds interesting and I may give it a try. I know I’m guilty of bashing DMS over the past year but I have to say that they are getting better (or I have just given in and stopped fighting them?). As you said – they do pay on time – something not all sites do. 🙂

• Crystal December 7, 2010, 2:34 pm

Well, I guess I’m going to have to check it out. I’ve been on a DMS diet the past 5 weeks and didn’t know anything there had changed. I didn’t plan to go back until after the first of the year but I just might have to take a peek:)

• Renee December 7, 2010, 4:07 pm

Well this is interesting. I saw the announcement about the new topic format but didn’t bother to read it. I am going to give it a peak now. I actually don’t mind the How To format, it just gets rather redundant after a while. Thanks for the post Felicia.

• Angela December 7, 2010, 5:11 pm

I have not yet had the experience of trying a Topic View, but now that you have shared your experience it doesn’t sound to scary! I may have to dive in and try one.

• Christina Crowe December 8, 2010, 8:23 pm

Wow, that’s awesome! I’m going to have to check it out.

I’ve been putting Demand Studios on hold for a few months, mainly because writing for them was causing more stress than I could handle.

But I’m curious as to how the Topic View articles will turn out. I’ll try pumping out a few tomorrow!

Christina

• Felicia December 9, 2010, 9:28 am

Christina, for some reason your posts end up in my spam folder. Sorry for the late approval.

• Christina Crowe December 9, 2010, 9:36 am

Hey Felicia,

I’ve been having the same problem on another blog that I noticed. I don’t know what it could be.

I’m hoping that it straightens out though. I don’t want my comments to accidentally get deleted!

Christina

• Felicia December 9, 2010, 9:38 am

I’m not sure what’s causing it, but don’t worry. I won’t delete your comments. It just may take me a day or two to approve them because I forget to check the spam folder.

• Christina Crowe December 9, 2010, 6:08 pm

It’s alright Felicia. Thanks! 🙂

• Melissa December 9, 2010, 9:15 am

I wasn’t pay any attention and was attempting to write an article in the normal how to format. It wouldn’t allow me to validate it. I realized it was for the new format…after I unclaimed the article. That’s what I get for not paying attentiong and trying to pump out as many articles as possible. LOL
    I liked the new format, too! But since I write for ehow…the topic view format was snatched from us!

• Felicia December 9, 2010, 9:20 am

Melissa, I had to chuckle when I saw the notification this morning regarding the Topic View articles. Oh well. Hopefully they’ll fix the technical glitch and reintroduce the Topic View format permanently next year. In the meanwhile, I guess I should enjoy it while I can.

• Dusty Snoke December 27, 2010, 7:45 pm

I wanted to say thank you for all the info you have provided concerning Demand Media. I spent weeks debating applying to Demand. After reading your articles, I decided to go for it. I went for it and was accepted. Thank you for the help. By the way I love your site.

• M January 14, 2011, 6:33 pm

I agree, the Topic View is a pretty nice format to write in. They got rid of the Abouts and the Lists and made them all Topic Views, which has me feeling split. I’m very glad to see the Abouts history, but I miss the Lists. Basically Topic Views are just Lists with one more required section. Sometimes getting that fourth section in there is a bit of a stretch and I find myself thinking, if only this was a List article I’d be done by now. Oh well, looking on the bright side, at least the Abouts are dead.