≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu

You are here: Home » Is HubPages Trying to Entice Me?

Is HubPages Trying to Entice Me?

Earlier I wrote a few posts on HubPages. One was when I first started writing for them and was happy with the experience , and another was when I was wondering what was going on over there (an income nosedive can make a gal wonder).

HubPages on the Rise?

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that HubPages has been adding a few sheckels to my AdSense account. Not much money, but just enough to catch my attention. The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke so I didn’t investigate, but when I earned a little over $6 in one day I decided to look at my HubPages earnings.

My first full month at HubPages (August, 2009) I earned over $16. Then it went downhill from there. It fluctuated between $2 and $7 per month. Granted, I only have 19 hubs but when I started out with $16 the first month, I thought the income would go up from there.

Last month my earnings increased to $11. From what I can glean, my traffic has remained pretty consistent (or should I say non existent), but I guess the occasional ad placement was lucrative which resulted in a couple of high paying clicks.

HubPages Going Forward

I’m going to give HubPages another whirl. After reviewing my first quarter earnings for 2010 and evaluated my income distribution, I realized that I’ve got to spread my efforts around a little more. Too much of my residual income is coming from one source. That’s not a good thing.

Personally, I like it when my income sources are pretty much on an even keel. My eHow earnings seem to have taken off and are now 48% of my residual income. It’s time for me to spend a little more time building up my other revenue sources.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that my eHow income (a truly passive income source) is growing, but if eHow decides to pull the plug, I don’t want to be caught with my knickers down. In the insurance industry we teach our clients to spread the risk. The same holds true when it comes to freelance writing. So,  in addition to finding other qualified writing venues for risk spreading, I guess I’ll be adding a few new Hubs here and there.

{ 32 comments… add one }
  • Diane April 2, 2010, 11:40 am

I love hubpages. I joined about 3 years ago, but it wasn’t until last year that I really got into it after doing the 100 hubs challenge. Good keyword reasearch + hubs + a little promotion = nice Adsense clicks!
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Where to Find Scholarships for Single Mothers =-.

• Crystal April 2, 2010, 8:14 am

Thanks for the reminder, Felicia. I’ve toyed with the idea of HubPages (and a few other sites) but haven’t pursued them yet. So all my eggs are in just a couple of baskets – never a good idea. But at this point, I don’t really have that many eggs so I guess I’d better work on that too! Your previous post on your 1st quarter earnings was very enlightening and inspiring, btw.
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..40th Anniversary of Earth Day – April 22, 2010 =-.

• Felicia April 2, 2010, 8:29 am

Crystal, when you first start out, it’s tough. With very few eggs, it makes sense to place them in one basket. However, once you accumulate a few eggs, it’s time to spread them around.

• Grandma April 2, 2010, 10:07 am

I am finding your goal of $5000 a month so striking, Felicia. Can’t stop thinking about it! Okay, what is the all out fastest way to get there? LOL

• Felicia April 2, 2010, 10:12 am

LOL, Grandma, clearly I haven’t taken the quick road to riches. The good thing is that I shared my experiences here at NJFM and you probably stand a better chance of reaching the goal quicker than I will. Hopefully you’ll bypass some of my mistakes.

When I finally get there, I think I’ll write a book about it. 🙂

• Grandma April 2, 2010, 10:29 am

LOL here’s some titles:
    The Slow Road to Riches
    The Writer’s Shortcut to Riches
    Reaching for the End of the Rainbow (& that Pot ‘O Gold)
    No Roadblocks for Felicia
    Where No Felicia Has Gone Before (had to put this one in)

• Felicia April 2, 2010, 10:38 am

LOL! I love those titles, especially the first one!

• Kidgas April 2, 2010, 12:24 pm

I, too, have noticed that HubPages has performed well in the last few months. I am not exactly sure why that is since my traffic has only been slowly increasing. But I have noticed that I have been getting more search engine traffic which definitely should play a role.

Furthermore, I agree with you 100% that diversifying passive income streams is an incredibly wise decision. Not every site will be as professional as Life123 when they paid out the full potential amount when closing the author’s program.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Goals for April 2010 =-.

• Judith P April 2, 2010, 2:27 pm

I understand the idea of spreading your talents at different sights but I do have a question. I started blogging a month ago. I made the decision to write on my own blogs for at least three months before I venture out. I figured it would give me time to create my own writing style and get into the swing of things. So, when I do venture out, should all articles be new? I follow a couple of forums and they talk about rewording articles so they can be used at more than one site. Would this be considered proper etiquette? I know that’s an old fashion word but I couldn’t think of another one right at the moment.
    .-= Judith P´s last blog ..Another Saturday Nite – Edition #2 =-.

• Felicia April 3, 2010, 7:01 am

Hey Judith,

I understand your desire to write on your own blogs to get the hang of this internet stuff. I did the same thing too, but if I had to do it all over again, I’d create my blog and write for content sites at the same time.

Writing for your self is great, but writing for content sites helps you to hone your online writing skills. I was an off line writer before I began writing online. The two writing styles are very different. Prior to writing for Suite 101, I had my own sites and wrote online the same way I wrote off line.

It wasn’t until I started writing for Suite that I began learning about keywords and the difference between online and offline writing (Suite has helpful editors). I have a lot of early articles on the internet that no one can find if I don’t specifically direct folks to them because I didn’t optimize the articles for the web when I wrote them.

Additionally, it takes quite some time for a blog to gain in popularity and receive a steady flow of traffic. Content sites already have the popularity and traffic flow so you stand a better chance of developing a readership via a content site than your own blog.

As far as content goes, I learned the hard way that fresh is better than used. I may write about the same topic on several different sites, but each article is new and fresh. It really doesn’t take long to write an article once you’ve done the research. My suggestion is to create new content for each site, including your blog.

Early on I had the fortunate pleasure of writing articles for a publisher that gave me keywords and I had to write 5 different articles on the same topic. I learned then that it’s really not so hard to do (a little boring, but not hard). It’s all about developing 5 different angles and writing from each viewpoint. I call on that experience when I write for several sites. I use the same or similar keywords, but write totally different content.

As far as proper etiquette (and no, I don’t think that’s an old word…I just wished that folks used it more often) it seems that almost anything goes in this new internet world. I just wish folks would realize that just because it can be done, doesn’t mean it should be done.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. 🙂

• Deborah April 2, 2010, 4:17 pm

HubPages is a very good source for residual income. The neat thing about HubPages is that you can place Amazon affiliate ads on there and use other affiliate programs as well. It’s great for diversifying since Adsense doesn’t always cut it. I’m very happy with HupPages. I don’t do a lot there, but in my spare time when I can goof off a little, I might create a hub or two.

All the best!
    Deborah
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..When is it time to replace your gig? =-.

• Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet April 2, 2010, 5:17 pm

I’ve heard quite a bit about hubpages but have yet to give them a try. As of now, my residual income comes from eHow and Suite 101, so it might be worth looking into in order to help “spread the risk”.
    .-= Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet´s last blog ..March Earnings Update =-.

• Writergirl April 3, 2010, 5:42 am

I’ve just started out with Hubpages. It’s only been to about 10 days since I made my first hub. I’ve got a total of 3 now. I’ve book marked it with pr7/pr8 ‘dofollow’ sites. I’m yet to see any traffic or clicks, but I know this stuff takes a while.

How long has it been taking for your hubs to show up on google?
    .-= Writergirl´s last blog ..My First Internet Brands Writing Assignment – Approved! =-.

• Felicia April 3, 2010, 7:07 am

Writegirl, I’m guilty of writing and forgetting about it. Usually once I write an article, I go onto something else so I can’t really say when my articles show up in Google.

Actually, it sort of surprises me when I go to do research on a topic and find articles that I’ve written on Google’s first page. I tend to spend more of my time checking my stats and income than Google’s search results. If my stats start to drop, that’s when I check to see if the articles are listed in Google and do a little damage control.

• Krista April 5, 2010, 10:53 am

I earn small amounts of money every day with hubpages (through google clicks and through amazon) and it motivates me to keep persuing my goal of earning residual income. It is a really friendly site with a lot of passionate writers.
    .-= Krista´s last blog ..How to get a Toddler to Stay in Bed! =-.

• Bristolboy April 7, 2010, 1:26 pm

I agree that it is important to spread your income across a large number of platforms especially as th total number of articles increases. I started off on Hubpages and so am trying to diversify away from this – since Hubpages probably accounts for over 90% of my online income. I have tried Infobarrel and Xomba as they are similar and also use Google Adsense revenue sharing and was considering eHow, but was unable to since I am not an American resident (and the latest uncertainty makes me glad I didn’t). So far though, Hubpages seems to be the out and out winner in terms of income – I just hope that there are no issues to the website!
    .-= Bristolboy´s last blog ..The importance of adding trackers to all Hubpages links =-.

• Felicia April 7, 2010, 4:09 pm

Bristolboy, did you check the NJFM database? Hopefully there’s something there that will work out for you.

• LilyRose April 13, 2010, 6:43 pm

Felicia, actually there’s a writer who pays her monthly mortgage with just ONE hub!!! Can you believe that? I wish.

Hubpages had started to get much better for me as well. It also gives great Google juice to the articles you link. Glad I found it.

• Felicia April 14, 2010, 8:09 am

Wow! Enough to pay her mortgage with one hub! That’s great. My numbers are picking up slightly, but nowhere near being able to pay my mortgage. I might be able to buy a pack of gum every other week. 🙂

• Shannon April 14, 2010, 8:30 am

I have a friend who’s earning nothing from HubPages, so we need to sit down together and look at her hubs to see what she’s doing wrong. For that reason, I decided not to try them. But I think I’ll reconsider.

About that book, I love rhyming titles and this should win the crappiest title award (couldn’t resist):

5 Grand, Cash in Hand … Let Felicia Teach Ya! 🙂
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..We Support NY’s Proposed Beverage Tax — and Here’s Why =-.

• Felicia April 14, 2010, 8:36 am

LOL! Shannon, I woke my son up with my laughter after reading your book title! That’s hysterical.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. 🙂

• Maddie Ruud April 28, 2010, 5:11 pm

Glad you’re giving us another shot. I hope this time you’ll stick around, as it really helps revenue to post regularly. You might even try the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge (visit the HubPages forums for more info) to jumpstart your earnings. A lot of users have seen really encouraging results.

Welcome back! Don’t hesitate to holler if you have questions or feedback for us.

Maddie Ruud
    Community Manager
    HubPages.com

• Shannon May 18, 2010, 1:47 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing too few AdSense impressions on their HubPages. I’m talking, like, 7 impressions on one hub since March (it’s now May!) Something seems not quite right.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Save Money on All Car Insurance =-.

• Felicia May 18, 2010, 3:50 pm

I just checked my HubPages impressions and compared them to AdSense. My numbers seem to match pretty well. My only problem is that I’m not earning very much at all from the impressions, but that’s not HubPages fault. I’ve only got 19 hubs, not quite enough to see the dough rolling in. 🙂

• Maddie Ruud May 18, 2010, 3:52 pm

Shannon,

If you follow the link above to my HubPages profile, you’ll see a contact link. Shoot me a note with the URL of the hub in question, and I’ll take a look at it for you.

• Ignatius May 18, 2010, 6:12 pm

Hi Shannon,
    If by “too few” Adsense impressions you mean an under-count, I’m with Felicia on that one. My numbers on Adsense for Hubpages seem to match the statistics on Hubpages.

However, if you mean you’re not getting visitors, you might look at some of the Hubs that give advice on how to promote your Hubs. My (not very extensive) experience at Hubpages is that it seems to take my Hubs a few weeks to develop traffic from Google. You may have to do a little promotion work.

My experience with the revenue share sites I have tried is that I have a few winners and some losers. I don’t see a consistent pattern of success with every article I put up on a site. So, it may just be that the article doesn’t work for Hubpages. However, if you put some effort into the article, it might be worth doing a little work to get some traffic.

• Julie-Inspired to Write July 19, 2010, 12:25 am

I decided to get on to Hub Pages.

I essentially shut down InfoBarrel and Bukisa (will use articles elewhere) and decided to focus on just two sites (along with my blogs) – HubPages and Suite 101. We shall see how it goes. While eHow is great, I am not as impressed with Demand Studios and frankly got tired of ‘how-to’ articles!

• Natalya Machnaigh August 31, 2010, 2:33 pm

Felicia, just wanted to say thanks for the words of advice. I am new to the world of freelancing, and think I will go ahead and give hub a try. I’m doing Suite101, Demand and another site, but like the idea of diversifying.

For other new writers, I’ve found that a mix of pay-per-content and revenue sharing sites works well. Although in the long haul the articles with continued royalties will pay out the best, for now I supplement those meager earnings with flat-rate content in order to get my bills paid, or some of them at least.

• J. Carter Shelton October 13, 2010, 5:30 am

Felicia, Great advice! I have been with Hubpages for awhile and likewise, have had sharp spikes, followed by a ghost land. So, I recently devoted a great deal of time to keyword research. The “key” is focusing on what people are searching for. Unfortunately, it is usually not what we want to write about. Write about it anyway. It has made a huge difference. In addition, there are unique tricks that help, such as youtube videos promoting particular hubs. I agree though, blanket your writing around in many areas. It’s just like investing, diversify, diversify, diversify. Keep up the fine work!

• Felicia October 13, 2010, 6:45 am

It’s interesting that you should say that, J. Carter. I’m thinking of giving HubPages another try. My Suite 101 earnings and page views are tanking so instead of putting extra effort there, I’m revisiting quite a few sites that I’ve let sit dormant for a while (in addition to working on my own blogs).

You are so right about the diversification. Thanks for the HubPages tips.

• Renee October 14, 2010, 11:02 am

I currently have an account with HubPages and 7 Hubs (which is not a lot), but have not seen much traffic. I am wondering if it is worth my time. It seems like you have to go through a lot with social bookmarking your hub, pinging them, etc. Now if the results are worth the trouble, then I will put in the time and effort. Is anyone experiencing any success with HubPages?

• Felicia October 14, 2010, 11:32 am

Renee,

HubPages, just like so many other residual income sites, require a lot of keyword targeted content in order to achieve good results. If you look at some of the more successful folks on HubPages, you’ll see that they have a large body of work.

If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, it will pay off. I only have 19 hubs (I think). So far this year I earned about $80 from those 19 hubs. Not impressive at all, but I also don’t do any social networking, pinging or any of that other stuff.

Check out Lis’ post on how she makes money on HubPages. She does pretty well there.

Bottom line, I believe that if you work it, it will work for you. It’s just a matter of putting in the time to work it.