Taking a Page from Tiger Woods’ Book

| February 22, 2010 | 10 Comments

Tiger’s apology made me take a look at my freelance writing career. Let me see if I can explain where I’m coming from.

Tiger reached the pinnacle of the golfing profession. I’m no golfer and learned more than I cared to learn as a result of being surrounded by men who love to golf and watch golf. Whether or not I was a golf fan, I knew about Tiger Woods’ rise to the top, his public fall from grace and now his attempts to rebuild himself, his life and eventually his career.

What I Learned from Tiger’s Apology

I watched his apology and decided to apply a little Tiger to my life.  I know there are folks who thought he was sincere and others who thought his apology was contrived and staged. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

What I expect will happen is Tiger, in true Tiger form, will stay out of the limelight, focus on what needs to be done and achieve his goal. He didn’t get to be the world’s best golfer by listening to what everyone else had to say about him. He had to block out the noise, set his goals, focus and work hard until he achieved his goals.

Freelance Writing

Ok, now is when I bring this rambling around to freelance writing. No matter what you do, you cannot please everyone all of the time, so don’t try. As a freelance writer you have to do your research, block out the noise, set your goals, focus and work hard until you achieve your goals.

The folks who are busy making money and becoming successful don’t have time to get caught up in negativity, speculation and theories. They spend their time working hard achieving their goals.

There are two types of folks; there are those that do and those that talk about doing. In Tiger’s case, I believe he’s a doer (no pun intended). The rest of the folks who love to talk about his situation, complain about his apology, rehash his transgressions and so on will be doing just that years from now…talking about it.

The same goes for freelance writing. Some folks write and make money, others complain about lack of opportunities, low wages, scams and so on.

Only Time will Tell

A couple of years from now, where will Tiger be? Will he be talking about making a recovery or will he be at the top of his game?

A couple of years from now where will you be? Will you be talking about trying to earn money as a freelance writer or will you be at the top of your game?

I don’t have a crystal ball, but I’m betting that Tiger will be at the top of his game. What about you?

Tags: , , ,

Category: Freelance, Motivation, Writing

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Emory says:

“In Tiger’s case, I believe he’s a doer (no pun intended).”

This made me spit Coke all over my keyboard! Great and inspiring article. I know it’s an older post, but I’m new here so I’m working my way around.

2. Kathy Gleason says:

Very good point. I love your blog!

3. Tashana says:

Wow Felicia, in true “no job for mom” decorum you summed this up so nicely. I’m noticing that you’re site is not only informative but creatively inspiring to me, and this particular post is no different.

No matter how many times as writers we tell ourselves “we have to do this” or “we must do that”, for whatever reason (for me it’s sheer laziness) we just ‘tell’ ourselves. Why is ‘doing’ so hard to ‘do’. I gather that is because in this land of plenty there are probably more don’ters than do’ers . It’s easy to sit around and fill your head with what you ‘might’ do and talk about how you ‘need’ to do, but it is much harder to actually make it come to fruition.

Thanks again for reminding me that I need to get up off my donk and start dabbling more in the doing that I need to do lol..

I truly love your site and I can’t wait to see where you will be in a couple of years. I suspect you will probably be called upon to be the guru of all things “online freelancing”, but hey, maybe my vision is too small :-). Thanks again.

4. prerna says:

Thanks for the post, Felicia.. Am inspired as always by your insight.. While I didn’t watch the apology since I don’t think it aired here in India, I love how you’ve drawn a valuable lesson from it!
    So, time to stop talking and start writing:-0
    Blessings!
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Useful Free Resources for Freelance Writers =-.

5. Netlexis says:

We must be on the same wavelength. My rant this week is all the naysayers who can come up with 101 reasons why online writing (& specifically rev share) won’t work. It really is about focus and believing you can do it. So…

Focus, focus, focus… put butt in the chair and hands on the keyboard.
    .-= Netlexis´s last blog ..Is Your Online Writing Glass Half-Empty or Half-Full? =-.

6. Elizabeth says:

A doer, no pun intended. . . You crack me up Felicia!

I agree with you. I’ve been frequenting forums far too much, and I realized that all that time could have been spent working. Work is the quickest path between points a and b. Thanks for your interesting take, as always.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..I Took the Amazon A-Store Plunge =-.

7. Kidgas says:

While I did not take the time to watch the apology, I agree that Tiger has a tremendous amount of focus and that is something that we can all learn to improve upon.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..My Computer is Dead! =-.

8. Sara says:

Very well said. I couldn’t agree more!

9. Andrea says: