≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu

You are here: Home » New Year, New Goals

New Year, New Goals

In my couple of years as an online freelance writer, I’ve had a blast.  There are so many options for freelance writer that it’s dizzying.  The good thing about the internet is that you can make money writing about anything that interests you. The bad thing about the internet is that you can make money writing about anything that interests you.

Momentary Passion

There are times that I become passionate about certain topics, so much so that I get the bright idea to create a blog about it. As a result, I have several blogs on topics that, at one time or another, I was very passionate about. But, as my passion waned, so did my writing on the topic. Now I’ve got dormant blogs and sites that earn a few dollars, but have not been updated recently.

Out of the Mouths of Babes (and Hubbies)

Last month my son had to do a paper on successful business people. As one of his subjects he decided to interview his Dad. So, while I was cooking, he and his Dad sat down at the kitchen table and my son conducted the interview (I did my best to listen and butt out).

As the interview progressed, I picked up one juicy nugget of information that I seemed to have been missing in my own online venture.

The question was: What is the single quality that you attribute your success to?

The answer: Learning how to delegate.

The interview continued and my husband explained the necessity to delegate lesser tasks which freed him up to do more interesting and challenging tasks. At each step in his career, he would delegate the simpler tasks and take on more difficult ones.

Light Bulb Moment

I’ve been a one person operation since I started writing online; partially because I enjoyed writing and creating websites and partially because I have a hard time delegating tasks. But after hearing the interview, I realized that delegating was the answer to my dormant blogs. I don’t have to let a blog die just because I don’t feel like writing on a particular subject. Whether I choose to use Textbroker, guest posts or even hire a writer, my blogs can continue to be updated regularly.

I guess one of my New Year’s goals (in addition to finding a new WordPress template for NJFM)  is to try this delegation stuff. I’ve got very little to lose and much to gain.

I’d love to hear some of your New Year’s goals (I find that listening to other folks’ goals helps me to formulate some of my own).

{ 21 comments… add one }
  • Ruth - Web Career Girl January 6, 2010, 12:37 pm

I can see how this would make a huge difference to any business. I feel this is something I need to do but just don’t feel I can justify the costs for it at the moment. Will be interested to hear how you do once you start delegating a few of your jobs.
    .-= Ruth – Web Career Girl´s last blog ..Remember to Set Goals Bigger Than Your Work =-.

• Ignatius January 6, 2010, 1:19 pm

My goal is to diversify my sources of online writing income. At one point, I was looking at sort of a three-legged stool to balance out the sources. However, I’ve been seeing lots of peaks, dips and changes. That has convinced me that I need to be using more income producing options. Now, I’m looking at more like six consistent sources of income. So, I guess I’ll have a dining room table instead of a stool :).

I have started my own little experiment with Xomba, Infobarrel and Hubpages to see which of these might work for me. I have lots of ideas that are worth an article or two, but not a full website. I’m a lot like you, Felicia, in that I get these great enthusiasms and then get bored with a topic. I think using the revenue share sites for some ideas might make sense.

By the way, in my humble opinion a good WordPress template is a form a delegation. When I can get a decent looking, functional website up quickly by just clicking on a few options, that’s a real time-saver.

• jen January 6, 2010, 6:06 pm

I would like to suggest Cyberhub for outsourcing articles. They seem to use native English speakers and I’ve been please with the quality I’ve gotten from them so far. Also, the price is very cheap.

.-= jen´s last blog ..How to Make Money with a Blog- OIO Publisher =-.

• Felicia January 7, 2010, 6:38 am

Thanks, Jen. I’ll check out Cyberhub.

• Crystal January 6, 2010, 10:53 pm

Good insight, Felicia! Delegation can be a great thing. The thought of hiring TB writers has actually crossed my mind once or twice, as well.

As for my goals for 2010:
    Keep up with my existing TB goal,
    publish an article to both Suite101 and eHow weekly,
    post to my blog 3/week,
    continue growing my custom memorial quilt business,
    finish reading only those books that really grab me in the first chapter or two,
    take a walk most every day,
    read Simple Abundance by Sara Ban Breathnach as a daily meditation,
    and as of yesterday – work on my new Etsy shop, Wilderness Crafter.
    Oh – and organize and simplify. (Yeah, right!)
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..An Etsy Shop – Viable Moneymaker or Frustrating Time Waster? =-.

• Felicia January 7, 2010, 6:45 am

Wow, Crystal. You’re gonna be busy this year!

When it comes to reading books, I’ve found that audio books make it a lot easier for me. When I do things like cook, laundry, wash floors, etc., an audio book makes the chore much easier. I’ve been able to finish a book or two a week. Fortunately, my library system allows me to shop for books online and they email me when the books come in.

If you don’t already read audio books, give it a try.

• prerna January 7, 2010, 5:20 am

Happy New Year, Felicia! And wow, delegation will be a great way to get things done and be sccessful. Am too new in the game to start delegating but I think it will be a great goal. All the best!
    My goals are simple- Write more. Write smart and Write Everyday **smiling**
    No, honestly, am planning to write an ebook or two this year and also, start another blog, while continuing with Suite, UTH and private clients. I may just also, start writing for Hubpages again, now that I have Adsense:-) BTW, do you think HP is worth it? I remember your post on the slump in PVs. What’s the update on that?
    As always, long comment. Sorry!
    Best wishes and blessings.
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Book Review: Make Money From Your Blogging in New Ways eBook =-.

• Felicia January 7, 2010, 6:48 am

I think those are great goals, Prerna.

As far as HubPages go, I haven’t written anything more for them so I can’t really say. My earnings are in the dumpster (non existent) and that might be because I haven’t written or promoted anything there lately.

There are some folks who are doing well on HP though. I guess it’s all about where you place your efforts.

• Mokibobolink January 7, 2010, 11:42 am

What a great point. I’m still new to blogging and only have two blogs I’m getting up and running at the moment but even I have wondered what would happen if I suddenly lost interest. Now I see that I missing an important piece of the puzzle – the idea of delegation.

Thanks for this.
    -Moki

• Cyn January 7, 2010, 10:33 am

Felicia, have you checked out eLance? I know you can get bundles of articles/posts written for less than $2 per article. You can pay via escrow, so that you don’t pay until you have received (and are happy with) the work.
    .-= Cyn´s last blog ..The Last Thirty Days (a Painfully Personal Post) =-.

• Felicia January 7, 2010, 12:31 pm

No, Cyn. I haven’t tried eLance. Right now I’m giving Cyberhub a try as Jen recommended. So far they seem promising.

• Victoria Drake January 7, 2010, 4:04 pm

I don’t see Textbroker listed here. Since I’m not a writer, I can’t speak to their praises personally, but I know there’s a few people on ask.metafilter.com that like it. You may want to check into it. I’m not sure about the pay, but while I was still on their email list, they seem to get a lot of titles and the choice is yours.

• Tashana January 8, 2010, 4:03 pm

My goal for this new year is to first finish my degree with an A. I’ll be finished in Feb and my GPA is 3.54 so I’m trying to increase that a bit. My second goal is to write, write, write. I need to stay focused and dedicated. I have the hardest time remaining committed to my writing but this year I do believe that will change. It has actually already started to change. I just started writing on Examiner.com, which I’m excited about, and I want to start writing for more sites.

Felicia have you ever applied to write for Examiner.com? If so, what was/is your experience? So far their review process has been fairly extensive. It actually took them several weeks to get back with me. The one thing (so far) that I have been impressed with is their customer service. Whenever I call the main office I get a live person who gets my issue solved. When I respond to them via email, I have not waited longer than a day for a response. Thus far, I like what I see. I just posted my first ‘approved’ article and I’m working, as we speak, on my second. I hope this works out, not necessarily for compensatory purposes, but for experience and exposure.

Thanks again Felicia. I really love your posts and I will definitely be referring readers from my site to yours. Your site has to be the most honest and credible site out there when it comes to getting ‘real’ information about these paid writing sites. Keep up the good work.

• Felicia January 9, 2010, 10:53 am

Great Goals, Tashana.

I’ve never applied for Examiner, so unfortunately I can’t share my experience. I’m sure there are other folks here that can provide info.

Thanks for being so supportive of NJFM.

• Catherine January 8, 2010, 5:14 pm

I find it funny that you talk about abandoned blogs. At the top of my list(as it has been for the past 2 or 3 years) is to jump start my personal blog. I like it but I always push it aside in favor of other projects that bring in more money. Still, deep in my heart, I just want to have a personal blog.

• Wendy January 9, 2010, 3:01 pm

Wow Felicia:

I just finished “Renegade” about Obama’s journey from deciding to run for President to becoming the fifth youngest president of the US…pretty inspiring…

I then made a mental list of things to take home from the book.

I mentioned this in a conversation to a friend…and what did she remind me of???

Aside from his brilliance, (IMHO) he *delegates*.

Duh.

Sorry for the long prelude, but my goals for 2010 include:

Narrowing down my work focus, and acknowledging that I *do* have a lot of things on the go. (This may be as close to “delegating” as I can get this year…)

Taking my self a bit more seriously: my wordpress template for my writing website was “Messy Desk” HMMMM…I changed it to something more “adult” and am organizing it to show what I can offer for how much $$ and time.

Thanks for sharing your goals! Good luck in 2010. I enjoy watching your work grow and prosper and hope for the best for you!
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Nov 27, How To Give A Massage =-.

• Wendy January 9, 2010, 3:13 pm

I forgot to mention one more goal…and I am interested in opinions on this:

Joining organizations to help further my career…

I joined the Federation of British Columbia Writers, am in the process of joining the American Counseling Association…

and, on another front, just joined “She Writes” which seems like a really great organization for writers of all types.

I think this will help me “take myself more seriously” but I wonder if anyone thinks there are more tangible benefits as well?

Thanks!
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Taking Myself Seriously =-.

• Victoria Drake January 9, 2010, 4:02 pm

As an addendum to my comment above. You have talked about Textbroker before, but I didn’t see it in the list of opportunities. I should’ve searched first.

Technorati is hiring writers too. (I did do a search first!)

• Grandma February 23, 2011, 9:40 am

There is a thread here all about Textbroker and other writers’ experiences with TB. There are over 1000 comments about TB.

• Lisa Reed February 22, 2011, 5:34 pm

Hello, Felicia. I have been writing for textbroker for a while now, but do you have any idaes about other places on the internet for someone to make money besides textbroker. I imagine that there are a lot of places but I also am not a professional writer either. I definitely need some pratice, but at the same time I enjoy it. Other places that I have heard of may be a little out of my league. If you ahve any suggestions please throw them my way.

• Grandma February 23, 2011, 9:37 am

Lisa, one task a professional writer must be good at is doing research. Why not make your first project finding places on the Internet where you can make money writing? You could turn that into an article to sell on one of those websites. There certainly is plenty of information to answer your question right here. Start researching and reading! Besides, as you read good writing, your mind will pick up many things about creating good writing. It’s like that old saying, garbage in, garbage out….good things in, good things out….goes both ways.