≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu

You are here: Home » An Update to My Unscientific Experiment

An Update to My Unscientific Experiment

A month ago I performed a little experiment.  I wrote three articles using the same keywords on three different sites (Suite 101, eHow and HubPages) to see how much ‘Google Favor’ affects the success of each article. The purpose of the experiment was to ensure that I was spending my time wisely.

Maria (aka WriterGig)  was interested in a followup to my experiment in about a month to see if my results would remain as they started or change as Google does its Google thing.

Here are the results:

The article I wrote for Suite 101 remained on the first page of the Google search results garnering 4,200 views. The article I wrote for eHow fluctuated, between the first and third page for a total of 3,087 page views. The article I wrote for HubPages disappeared. I didn’t spend time looking through Google to find out where it went. All I know is that it earned 105 page views.

If earning money on the internet is a function of driving traffic to the articles, then clearly Suite 101 and eHow are the winners in this unscientific experiment.

I’m not totally giving up on HubPages as yet. I’ll keep them on the back burner and place an occasional article there. After seeing the results of my experiment, I can’t justify spending too much time building lots of hubs at this point. Over time with an occasional hub here and there, I’m sure the income will eventually build. After all I did earn money on those 105 page views, but I’m not willing to devote nearly as much time there as I will at Suite, eHow or populating my own sites/blogs.

Try Your Own Experiment

My results may vary from yours depending on the keywords, time of year, direction of wind and who knows what else. I think that it’s wise to test the waters every once in a while to make sure you’re spending your time in a way to bring in the most reward for your hard work.

{ 6 comments… add one }
  • prerna September 13, 2009, 10:43 pm

Love this idea.. Hmm.. Let me see the three sites, I can possibly try this with will be Suite, Triond and Bukisa. While, I’m already sure about the results, it will be interesting to see the difference. Thanks for this update.. Now I have something interesting to do while writing articles!!
    Blessings always,
    Prerna
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Woman: Reading and a Love for Books =-.

• Deanna September 14, 2009, 12:39 pm

Thanks for sharing the results, Felicia. This was a smart thing to do and beneficial to all of us. Although I am more blown away by the fact that your Suite101 article got 4,200 views and your eHow article got 3,087 views in only one month. Is that normal for you to have such high views or was if because of the content of the aritcles?? I’m happy if an article gets 200 views in one month!

Keep up the wonderful work.
    Deanna
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..Slow and Steady Wins the Writing Residual Income Race and eHow’s New Article Submission Guidelines =-.

• Felicia September 14, 2009, 2:16 pm

No, Deanna, my articles don’t usually get such good results. I think it was the subject matter and the right timing.

• Mandy Harris September 14, 2009, 1:18 pm

A very clever experiment, Felicia. Very helpful. We don’t have enough time to write as it is. It’s nice to know how to make the most of that time.

• Kidgas September 17, 2009, 5:22 am

Thanks for the useful information. I have been ready through various posts here and enjoy your blog immensely. I have saved a place for it on my browser. I have looked at Suite 101 but haven’t joined yet. I may have to try to add it later.

I too have found that earnings at eHow for me are greater than HubPages with much lower views. But I have been somewhat scared to do too much with the recent sweep. I did start at InfoBarrel and am getting some views on the 3 articles but no earnings yet. Will have to see what happens. Again, thanks for the info.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Writing For Multiple Sites =-.

• Cyn @ WriteForEhow.com September 17, 2009, 11:14 pm

What an interesting idea! I have run a few “experiments” of my own, but have never thought to write similar-themed articles for multiple sites. I had heard a lot about hubpages, and was considering writing a few to test the waters. Considering your results, I might just leave hubpages on the back burner while I flesh out the roughly half a trillion other projects I have on my list. 😉