≡ Top Menu ≡Category Menu

You are here: Home » Bukisa is Cleaning Up Their Act

Bukisa is Cleaning Up Their Act

In reviewing the July, 2009 newsletter from Bukisa (I think it’s the first one I’ve ever received); I was pleased to see they were implementing a few changes. Some of the changes I really couldn’t care much about. Things like Private Messaging, widgets, banners, comments and invites don’t mean much to me. I have too many articles on too many sites to get excited about receiving messages or comments on each article in cyberspace. I have a blog and that is my preferred method of interacting with my readers.

The one piece of information that impressed me is that they are now implementing stricter article guidelines. They will now reject poorly written articles that contain poor grammar and obvious self advertisement. Finally!

I stopped adding content to my Bukisa account for two reasons:

1. With all of the Bukisa spam going around, I was embarrassed to be associated with them.  The spam wasn’t Bukisa’s fault.  Bukisa spam was caused by some over zealous writers looking to earn big.
  2. I read some of the articles on their site and was not impressed with the caliber of some of the articles written.

After reading the newsletter I decided I won’t kick Bukisa to the curb just yet.

I know that we are all looking for ways to earn money as freelance writers, but sometimes we have to pick and choose our publishers just as carefully as they pick and choose their writers. Although as an individual you may produce stellar, well written content, but if it’s placed on a site with a reputation for spam, it won’t do much to boost your writing credentials.

Just like with the eHow cleanup, I’m glad to see that Bukisa is taking the quality of their content seriously.

{ 8 comments… add one }
  • Alina Bradford July 9, 2009, 5:12 pm

I felt the same way. I only put two articles up and then stopped because I was afraid someone would see my work there, lol. I’m glad they are cleaning up their act.
    .-= Alina Bradford´s last blog ..How to Edit Firework Photos =-.

• prerna July 16, 2009, 5:49 am

Hi,
    Like Alina, I was feeling the same way.. and had stopped at 4 articles.. but now I think they do deserve another shot.. I’d try them out for another month or two and see how it goes before leaving them behind..
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being A Mom : On A Road Trip With A Toddler =-.

• prerna August 14, 2009, 4:21 am

Was just wondering how is it going with Bukisa.. Compared to Suite 101, my articles there are raking in nothing.. Any advice??
    Thanks,
    Prerna
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Writer: My Suite 101 Experiment Week 2 Update =-.

• Felicia August 14, 2009, 5:55 am

Oh man, Bukisa is peanuts compared to Suite.

I don’t put much effort at all into Bukisa. Having money coming in is better than having money going out, but I don’t expect too much from them.
      I’ve found HubPages to be more lucrative than Bukisa.

• becky blanton September 30, 2009, 7:09 pm

Squidoo.com is a good site and people make some good money there…and it’s getting more and more traffic. Have you checked it out yet?
    .-= becky blanton´s last blog ..The Red Pan =-.

• Felicia September 30, 2009, 7:21 pm

I signed up for Squidoo quite some time ago, but I got confused by the interface. I just couldn’t quite get hang of it.

• Samantha December 6, 2009, 10:41 am

I’m curious what the current experience with Bukisa is for other writers. I started submitting articles to them over the last week and am finding that despite your article saying that they’re cleaning up their act, that a lot of the content on the site is very poorly written, unresearched conjecture. It probably helps me in the end because I think it’s a bit easier to stand out on Bukisa than it is on AC or HubPages, especially given the amount of time that goes into each article, but it’s also a bit discouraging that a large segment of the Bukisa community is not pushing out quality content.

This post was released in July – do you have an update on what you think about this site?
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Taking Some New Directions in Writing Online: The Great Revenue Share Experiment =-.

• Felicia December 7, 2009, 9:31 am

Samantha, it’s been quite some time since I’ve placed any new content on Bukisa.

I think I placed one or two items on the site this year. I’ve been focusing my efforts elsewhere since Bukisa is not one of my top income producers.

I’d be interested, however, to hear how everyone else is doing at Bukisa.