eHow – The Gift That Keeps Giving

| December 12, 2008 | 8 Comments

If you’ve been tracking my progress on eHow, you will see that the income is growing each month. The one thing that I have not accounted for in my post is the earnings that I make from affiliates as a result of my eHow articles.

The Amazon Factor

As an Amazon Associate, I periodically place links to Amazon products at the bottom of my articles. I try to find products that enhance or are related to the How To that I’ve written to make it easier for my readers to find the products or subject I’ve written about.

Not keeping close track of the relationship between my eHow/Amazon earnings, I was a little surprised the other day when I looked at my numbers to find that in addition to the eHow earnings of $166.53, I earned $13.48 in commissions from the Amazon links placed on eHow articles. Not bad for just adding a link.

Couple of How to’s on How to…

As a matter of fact, I wrote an eHow ‘How To’ on How to Increase Your Income Using eHow and How to Make Money Writing about Products Sold on Amazon that will give you more information on how I did it. Mind you, AmazonI’ve only added Amazon links to about 10% of my eHow articles. Can you imagine if I increased the percentage?

I started placing Amazon links on my eHow articles in November. When you sign up for an Amazon account, if you don’t have one already, make sure that you use a separate tracking ID that is exclusive to your eHow articles. It gives you better tracking control.

For example, I place Amazon links on my Tidbits & Stuff website, BLULOW and others. Each has its own tracking ID link so I can see where the money is coming from.

eHow Related Amazon Revenues

Month eHow Amazon Total
Sept $ 0.10 $ – $ 0.10
Oct $37.73 $ – $ 37.73
Nov $ 83.18 $ 4.99 $ 88.17
Dec $ 41.59 $ 8.49 $ 50.08
Total $ 176.08
Last Updated: 12/10/08

Here are a few things you should place on your ‘To Do’ list:

1. Finish reading this post
  2. Click over to the Amazon Associate site and sign up.
  3. Always check to see if the topic of your freelance writing has an affiliate link, whether it is Amazon or some other affiliate. Not all topics have a related affiliate program, but taking an extra 10 or 15 minutes to search and sign up will add to your freelance writing financial bottom line.

Okay, you’ve got your marching orders. Go and make money!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Affiliates, Earning Money, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Felicia says:

Hey Julie,

I did notice quite a few glitches on eHow. The one I don’t particularly like is the one where the earnings are not updated.

As far as my monthly earnings go, as of the 17th of this month, I’ve earned more than I did than as of the 17th of last month so I can’t really complain.

I try to keep adding content and hopefully the additional content will make up for the glitches.

2. Julie M says:

I keep meaning to do this Amazon for ehow… thanks for the reminder. Have you noticed a lot of the glitches on eHow? Have your earnings been drastically affected by this? Just curious…

Julie Ms last blog post..Is the Economy Hurting Your Writing Income?

3. Felicia says:

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for asking the question. I decided to make a full post of the answer. Here’s how to insert Amazon Affiliate links in your eHow articles: Inserting Amazon Affiliate Links

I thought I could give you a more detailed answer if I made it a post rather than try to explain it in a comment box.

4. Melissa says:

Felicia, I have an Amazon Associates account, actually your post reminded me I had signed up for it almost a year ago then never did anything with it,I cannot seem to figure out how to do a link that I can then place on my ehow articles. Are you creating your own instead of using the html they supply? Any help would be appreciated, Thank You!

5. Felicia says:

Hi Julie,

Actually, I think December is doing pretty well on eHow. Taking into consideration that the numbers listed above only represent the first 10 days of the month, I’ve made more than half of what I made the month prior.

Hang in there with eHow. You’re right, I do believe the holidays affect the earnings. If the earnings seem low, I guess its time to write more articles. 😀

6. Julie M says:

I love that you always have knew ways of making money by writing. I will have to look into that. I am glad to see that December is slow for you as well on eHow. It think it may be the holidays! Thanks again for the tips.

Julie Ms last blog post..Babe Ruth and Striking Out

7. Julie says:

Great information on the separate tracking ID. That never occurred to me! I’m off to read the eHow articles you linked to now. Congrats on your earnings!

Julies last blog post..$10 eBook Sale: How to Write for eHow

8. Thank you. With the help of your marching orders, I will actually get this done NOW!

Jessie Ann Heekins last blog post..Twitter, freelance writing, my new business, and how it all happened in 10 steps