It is my opinion that in order to become a successful freelance writer you’ve got to be a little obsessive and have a large dream.
Here is what I mean. When I find a new writing opportunity or the chance to earn money, I throw myself into it totally (obsessively). I envision a large stream of dollars flowing into my account. I know the only way that will happen is if I work hard to make it happen. As long as I have my dream, I’ll continue to work at it.
On occasion I wake up to see that my typing fingers are burned to nubs from typing at such a breakneck speed. Depending on the writing format, I could usually bang out a few articles in a day, but at the end of the day I always wish that I could bang out a few more.
When I stop to take a breather, I look at all of my other writing opportunities and realize that I’ve let them take a back seat so I then start working like a mad woman (obsessively) on those opportunities (of course I do this because I have a dream of dollars rolling in).
Passive Income Lifestyle
My motivation is my belief in the 100% passive income lifestyle. I want my passive lifestyle to be a lobster tail and shrimp lifestyle, not a hot dog and hamburger lifestyle. I could work at a slower pace, but while I have the energy and the opportunity (the kids are in school all day), I might as well take advantage of it.
Lucrative Times Ahead
There will come a time when I could leisurely write one or two articles a day or maybe skip a day entirely, if I choose. If you’re anything like me, however, it gets tougher and tougher not to write daily because its in the bloodstream.
Stop and Smell the Roses
Every once in a while, I stop to smell the roses. I look to see where I was, where I am and where I want to be.
Where I was: A little over a ago on February 9, 2007 I made a vow to quit my part-time job and work full time as a freelance writer. I believed I could match and exceed my part-time income through freelance writing.
Where I am: On February 9, 2008, I accomplished the task and have exceeded my part-time income. I’m well on my way to doubling my old part-time salary through my freelance writing. As a matter of fact, as of this post, I’ve effectively given myself a 22% salary increase over my old part-time job. Imagine telling your boss you want a 22% salary increase.
Where I want to be: My goal is to continue increasing my income but I want to specifically increase it residually. I want my work to pay me in the long run over and over again rather than work daily for pay. Right now 34% of my income is from active (write for pay) opportunities while the remaining 66% is residual. I guess I’m moving in the right direction because last year my active income accounted for 68% of my earnings and residual a mere 32%.
To that end, I’m writing like an obsessive mad woman, burning my fingers to the nub to be able to have substantial residual income flowing into my accounts. If I can do it, I KNOW you can do it too. All you need is a little obsession and a large dream.