An Introduction

| December 11, 2013 | 12 Comments

Felicia A. WilliamsHello, let me introduce myself. My name is Felicia A. Williams and I’m a wife, mom and sometimes writer. I own a blog called No Job for Mom and a few other sites around the Internet.

I used to be an avid writer/blogger but somewhere along the line my writing Mojo was high jacked. It wasn’t taken away totally, just got off course. During that time I interested myself in other passions waiting for it to come back.

One problem with bouncing from passion to passion is that young, under developed passions don’t always pay the bills. Writing was a lucrative passion for me. Well, maybe not lucrative, but it did make a very nice contribution towards meeting the monthly nut. When the writing Mojo took a left turn, so did other things.

In the Beginning

At first it wasn’t so bad. I figured my Mojo would come back in a few weeks. My residual earnings were enough to carry me through the creative drought. As time went on I got further and further away from the habits and practices I engaged in as a writer. My creative view of the world began to dim and I started to see the world like everyone else did.

You writers know where I’m coming from. It’s not that we’re super special people, it’s just that we look at things a little differently and aren’t afraid to write from that viewpoint. It’s what makes us us. It’s also what makes us so different from each other. Your view of that morning cup of coffee is different from mine. We’ll both write about that wondrous morning cup o’ Joe, but our stories will be vastly different.

Pant Kickin’ TimeSize 13

What I love about life is you can only go so far down the self pity or woe is me road before a large size 13 shoe ends up properly placed squarely in the seat of your pants. My size 13 shoe was a part-time job at a retail store for the holidays. Feeling that I had to do SOMETHING to earn a little cash (little being the operative word here) and find a larger calling, I fell back on habits of old…get a part-time job.

History Repetition

Six years ago I started earning money as an online writer because I realized I could earn more money writing online than I could working at a dead-end part-time job. Not only that, by writing online I was able to shed the creativity shackles. No more approval to do things that made common sense. No more asking for permission to think out of the box. We writers mentally live out of the box and only become frustrated when we allow ourselves (or put ourselves) back in the box.

Well, history has repeated itself. One month into this current part-time job arrangement my writing Mojo came barreling back. Okay, not really barreling, but I started looking at things differently again. I began to celebrate life’s little nuances. I started jotting down one or two ideas. Eventually the ideas started snowballing to the point where I had to create a document to keep track of them all.

Now I’ve got more self-created writing projects than I know what to do with. As such, I’m venturing back into the writing arena. This go ‘round things will be different from the last time. Why? Because things change and people change. There’s nothing worse than trying to capture something that has long since gone (just look at Steven Segal and other actors/actresses afraid of embracing their age).

How different will things be? Who knows? All I know is the world did not stand still while I was out passion hopping and working a part-time job. As such, I’d be silly to think I can pick up right where I left off. Plus, if I picked up right where I left off, there’s a good chance that my Mojo might exit stage left again. I don’t want that to happen so I have to go with the flow.

Image by Christian FerrariMy Income

When my Mojo left, so did my incessant income tracking. So, in order for me to share my past and present income reports with you I’ve got to do some back tracking and number crunching (number crunching inspires me). As I put those figures together, I’ll s hare them with you. In the meanwhile I’m making a cautious entry back into the writing world.

And You?

Things have been quiet here (I think I disabled comments here because the spammers were having a field day), but I hope your writing endeavors have been fruitful. I’d love to hear some of your success stories (and even the not so successful stories).

I promise to update this blog more than once every 5 months (I couldn’t remember my login info).

Tags: , ,

Category: Writing

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Joni says:

Was so very happy to see your email as I was going thru my email to catch up. I only get online a few times a week as I cannot afford internet/cable service so I do it at the library. I was hoping your mojo would return (it is actually a selfish wish as you always encourage me). I also want it to benefit you too…LOL.

I’ve been very low mentally with my various mental health disabilities. However, thanks to the Lord I will not give up. Life can and will get better. I just have to find the right combination of meds, therapy and trust in God. It is very difficult not to live in the past but I am working on it. It is encouraging to see you on again and all the comments of the others.

Good luck to you and am so excited to see you back.

Joni

Hi Joni,

Good to hear from you. Sorry things are a bit rough for you right now. It’s always darkest before the dawn. I’m glad you’re not giving up.

Learning from the past is good. Living in the past isn’t so good. Sometimes it’s hard to let go, but I’m trusting you’ll pull through.

Please hang in there.

2. Ignatius says:

It’s good to see you back. I’m looking forward to hearing about your new adventures in Internet land. I have been writing more for others, but I recently decided to start spending more of my time developing my own projects again. Over the long run I think it makes more sense to take some risks that could lead to real freedom. It’s a lot more fun, too. 🙂

I’m with you Ignatius. Working on your own projects are more rewarding, even if they’re not very lucrative in the beginning. Unfortunately, we all have to pay the bills so we have to figure out how to balance the two worlds of earning cash right now and building a nest egg for the future.

3. I nearly spit out my coffee when I read that part about Steven Segal.
    I have to say, you are inspirational even when you’re writing about being uninspired. I am taking to heart what you write about not being able to recapture the past, but that we need to look for the right way to do things today. I too am jumping back in the writing saddle after spending nearly two years in a job that psychologically crushed me, I am blessed beyond comprehension to be back at my old job fueling private aircraft. This job has always been very good for my creativity as it does not suck all my energy like a regular job and the work is relatively easy.
    But, like you, I am having a hell of a time finding my writing mojo again. It’s slowly coming back, but I find I have to accept that I have aged a little and gotten beaten up mentally, and recovery is not a quick process. Your words help me to realize that I don’t need to recapture what I had, it’s time to grow in to my writing as it is today. The passion is still there and eventually the freedom will return. I am happy now to be working on a long term project and was able to squeeze out a little article on Bubblews. The jury is still out on that site, way out. It’s not very writerly 🙂
    Thanks for coming back, but you do whatever you need to do. When I see NJFM in my email, I’m happy because you always have something profound to say.

Hi Alexander,

It’s interesting how the mojo determines when we write and how often to write. Writing without it is an exercise in frustration. I’m learning to embrace things as they come. That’s not always so easy but it’s a lot less taxing on the soul.

Sorry to hear about your bad job experience. But, it seems like that bad experience gave you a different perspective and now truly appreciate your old job. It’s funny how life does that to us.

Hang in there with Bubblews. I, too, am going back to older projects and “gutting” them. When I say gut I don’t mean tearing them down (although there will be a bit of that). What I mean is I’m revising them in accordance to my gut feeling. After creating them I allowed the outside voices of the internet to dictate how the sites should be set up, look and feel. I did what other folks recommended and it isn’t sitting right with my gut. So, I’m going back to gut them.

So when you’re revising Bubblews (if that’s what you choose to do), go with your gut.

4. Felicia, it’s so nice to have you back on the writing track with NJFM. You have no idea how much I miss the numerous tips and worthwhile information you shared. On days when I was hunkered down behind writer’s block, or just needed some inspiration I found it on NJFM. Looking forward to more regular updates from you. Welcome back!

Good to have you back, Felicia. Forgot your login info – too funny! Been there, done that. In fact, I can’t keep track of all the sites, blogs, etc. I have and am sometimes surprised when I run across one. Hmm.

Can’t wait to see where you go this round. I’m in the final stages of proofing my hubby’s book and am still hoping it’s published by the end of the year – but it may not squeak in until New Year’s Eve if I’m lucky.

Best to you, Felicia – I know I’m not alone when I say I’ve missed you.

6. Angela says:

So happy that you’re back! I was just thinking of you on yesterday and was wondering if you’d reacquainted yourself with your writing goals. So glad that inspiration has claimed you again, and I know that your next tier of writing projects is going to be awesome.

I, too, have allowed my blogs to go dormant but have been pursuing commercial freelance work. I also wrote and released a book a few months back and am currently working on another.

Looking forward to seeing you posting regularly again.

Congrats to you Angela for writing the book. I’ll be noseying around to find out more about it.

So much has happened while I was away. I’ll have to spend time roaming around the internet to find out what everyone is up to.