Sites that Pay Freelance Writers

| May 24, 2013

MoneyNow that I’m actively looking to earn more money writing, I’ve been roaming around the Internet looking for writing gigs that pay. In my roaming I came across the site Writers in Charge.

Writers in Charge has two blog posts which list a total of over 70 paying writing gigs. The first post I stumbled across listed 45 paying sites  and the second listed 30 (actually 33) paying sites. The sites listed pay more than the paltry $25 or $30 an article. Most of the sites pay $50 and up (one as much as $1,300).

After reviewing the lists I decided to wander around Writers in Charge. The site has good solid writing information and tips for both newbie and seasoned writers.

If you’re looking for solid writing tips and information on paying sites, check out Writers in Charge.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Legitimate

1. Michael says:

Thanks for the tip. Have been looking to get back into this sort of writing to supplement the income coming in from my own websites. Glad also to see you are posting on this site more often again.
    Michael recently posted…“Mind and Heart” Charles Bukowski PoemMy Profile

2. Ken says:

Yay! You’re back. Kind of…
    Ken recently posted…The 20 Best Android MMORPG GamesMy Profile

Well, well, well! Look who stopped by! 🙂 Don’t know why but your comments end up in the spam folder.

Good to hear from you Ken. I’ve been extremely negligent in visiting the blogs of all my buddies.

Couldn’t help but think of you when the Yanks played Boston. I didn’t watch the series, but I do remember hearing my hubby saying a few “grown up” words that I would never use in an article. 😉

3. Alexander says:

Thanks for that, it looks very promising. Currently, I am going to dig in to Demand (gag), but a writer must write and I’d rather write advertising web content than go back to my old job or any job at all. I’m currently a little frustrated by the slow and very gradual or even frozen results from my efforts at Hubpages and Examiner this week. With Examiner my monthly total rises about 15 – 20 cents per article I write – so far not an exponential rise. I’m sure it takes time but I need to start filling my bank account before I’m flipping burgers or sweeping floors. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that by the way, just that I have this talent and I would like to use it…
    I think it’s wonderful that you take the time to search these sites out, I have a hard time relaxing enough to do that. By the way, have you heard of Flexjobs? It does cost 15 a month but it’s all about telecommuting jobs, I think you might like it. I may sign up for that soon – but I’ve only heard of one success story from a reliable source.

I’ve pretty much given up on writing for residual content sites ever since Google put the smack down on them. My HubPages earnings barely hit $20 a month. About 90 to 95% of my online income comes from my own sites.

There is money to be made at Demand Studios, if you can stomach it. I recently got an email about how they’re changing the pay scale for Business writers. The more you write, the higher the per article rate. Unfortunately, I just can’t do it.

Last night I sat down with the Writer’s Market book and put sticky tabs on the pages with publications I intend to approach. After going through that, I started accumulating a few online magazines of interest. I haven’t submitted any queries yet. I’ve just categorized the publications and now am coming up with potential article ideas.

When you leave a job you feel you’ve got to scramble and replace the income as fast as possible. Part of the problem is operating out of fear. It’s hard to relax long enough to think things through. Action seems to be the call of the day.

My suggestion to you, as hard as it sounds, is to take a couple of days, take a deep breath and come up with an action plan. Time is of the essence for you and you want to use it wisely. A well thought out plan along with persistence will prove to be a winner in the long run. I know it’s hard to relax when you feel the financial deadline just around the corner, but you don’t want to waste your valuable time on venues that won’t provide the money you need.

Demand Studios can fill in the financial gap because you know how much they pay and how many articles you need to write, but the frustration factor will soon burn you out. DS can be a short-term Plan A, but you’ll need a Plan B, C and maybe even D.

As a general rule, I stay away from paying for jobs. Whether it’s $15 a month for telecommuting jobs or giving a “free” sample to online sites, it’s just something I choose not to do. Some folks do it and they’re successful with it, but it’s something that causes me to be wary.

• Aelxander says:

Felicia, excellent advice. Thank you. I started an evaluation of the writing opportunities that offered quick income, and found them all woefully inadequate. I went through the application at Demand Studios and was dismayed to find out they only want writers with years of substantial professional experience and / or a degree. I was under the impression, before I started filling out all their information and giving them my SS number, that anyone with a will and talent to write could succeed there but that is not the case. There were very few categories that I was eligible for. What is good is that I explored every option for online writing income and now know for sure what I can and cannot do. Also, it helped me to organize my writing experience into a presentable format. Like Hubpages, it forced me to sharpen my skills a little more – not a total waste. But like you, I think I’ll start gearing toward magazine queries and book writing and in the mean time I’ll look for a job to sustain me while I write my “masterpieces”.

Also, you are right to not invest time into paid employment search sites. I was able to access the job boards at Flexjobs and they are no different from the other major job hunting sites (like Monster, Career Builder, etcetera).

By the way, when I reread my previous comment, I saw you could have construed the word “relax” to mean that I thought you had no worries and I’m glad you understood what I meant. My apologies anyway.

I have made a plan of action also – look for a job (probably going back to fueling jets) and keep on writing – and continue with the plan to start sending out queries. You are always an encouragement and thank you for being here and taking the time.

I think residual can still be a good thing, but less of us will be able to attain full-time income status with it now and it takes a lot more work than it’s worth. Hubpages success only comes to those who put out allot of farm content (is that the right term?). I know one good writer who started writing about shoes day and night and I had to unsubscribe.

For me and I think many of us, writing is about creativity, lifting up others and teaching worthwhile things. When it becomes assembly line work, we might as well forget about the great stories and articles we have inside of us – I would rather work with my hands, so I’m rather relieved I can’t do much with Demand.

On to the next thing!

4. Terr says:

Query rejections are good. They mean that at least you tried! As I’m learning, in most cases, query rejection isn’t about you. The timing might not be right for your story, etc, etc.

Thanks for posting that information for freelancers. I’ll check out these resources. I need to start brainstorming story ideas.

5. I love the Writers in Charge site and have been following it for a couple of months now. Apparently it took the guy a few months to find the list of 45 articles but the places are great and he has so much information that’s helpful. I’ve compiled a list of guest posts that I would like to send off — now just to do it!

Good luck with writing, Felicia. I’ve learnt so much from this site too and still keep checking it out for more updates.

Another one that is worth checking out is Be A Freelance Blogger. The owner has a free book that has a list of sites that pay $50+.
    Alexandria Ingham recently posted…Create the Perfect Graduate CVMy Profile

Thanks for the info on Be A Freelance Blogger. I’ll check them out.

• Lia says:

Hey Felicia,

I’ve followed your blog and subscribed since 2011. I just wanted to come out of the wood works to tell how much I miss your old enthusiasm, but I’m grateful you’re still plugging away…I know, after Panda/Penguin it’s no easy task! Thanks so much for sharing this great resource with the rest of us. I’ll be sure to check it out;)

Best Wishes…keep at it!

Lia

Nice to hear from you Lia.

I kinda miss my old enthusiasm too. Actually, I’m enthusiastic about a whole bunch of things, just not so much about writing about writing. Although, I’m feeling a bit of a spark. There’s something about trying something totally new and scary that gets my juices going.

It’s kind of weird, but I’m actually looking forward to my string of rejections. Just imagine what kind of tale I’ll be able to tell when I finally get something published. 🙂

• Lia says:

That’s what I always liked about you…your “when the going gets tough, the tough get goin'” attitude. Here’s to new pathways to success!

As an aside, I tried to go directly onto your site today from the URL search and when I landed on your page it is all white and says “you are banned.” Nothing else, just says that lol.

So, I went to your newsletter in my inbox and clicked through the link to this article and it lets me on. Not sure what’s up with that, but thought you might like to know:-/

Looking forward to checking out the site you recommended now…

Have a fantastic day!

Lia

Sorry about the “banned” issue. I have a plugin that gets overly aggressive sometimes. Not so sure what sets it off. There are some IP addresses that I’ve banned because they’re bad people. I’m not quite sure how to fix it. Let me know if it happens again and I’ll investigate it further.