≡ Menu

Finding a Part-Time Job

ClassifiedsWell, here it is. Felicia at No Job for Mom is admitting that she’s working a part-time job.  That job is writing articles for Demand Media Studios (again).

My residuals have taken quite a beating and it’s time for me to do something to stem the tide.  As I’ve done before, I’m taking my Demand Studios journey real slow.  My current goal is to write one article a day Monday – Friday.  If I make it through the week unscathed, I’ll slowly increase the article count by a half an article a day. The goal ultimate goal is to reach 4 stress-less articles a day (wish me luck).

I know my propensity to get frustrated with Demand Studios so I figured it’s better to start slow to keep the frustrations to a minimum.

My Residuals

It has been some time since I’ve updated my paltry earnings.  Ready?  Here they are:

January February
Active $817.98 $814.14
Passive $0 $  25.00
Total $817.98 $839.14

My March residuals seem to be picking up ever so slightly (and I mean slightly).  Going forward I intend to diversify my income sources a bit more.  I’m considering going after a few magazines and maybe private clients (not so sure about private clients because they can be rather demanding at times).

I also managed to sell a couple of pieces of furniture from my furniture restoration hobby-hope-to-turn-into-a-business venture.  Next to transforming a blank piece of paper into an engaging tale, taking an old long-forgotten piece of furniture and giving it a new personality is something I truly enjoy.

Long-Range Goals

I’ve gone back to school to study and become certified in holistic nutrition.  Nutrition has long been a passion of mine so I thought it would be nice to have the formal education to back up my never-ending research projects.  Eventually, when I grow up, I want to become a holistic nutrition consultant.

Immediate Goals/ProjectsChecklist

On top of the writing, furniture, school and family, the weather is getting warmer (in spite of last night’s snow storm) and it’s soon time to get back to organic gardening and a host of other warm weather projects.

So, there you have it.  I haven’t been making much money at all, but I’ve been pretty busy doing things I enjoy.  Actually I truly enjoy just about everything except Demand Studios and washing dishes.  Oh well, guess we all have to take the bitter along with the sweet.

I’m going to try to update NJFM a bit more frequently than once every other month.  I can’t make any promises, but I will surly try.

Hope everyone is well and making more money than I am. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Joni March 25, 2013, 1:47 pm

It’s always great to read your posts. And as always…we gotta do what we gotta do. I’m eking out my house, utilities payments and meds with my disability payments and Medicare and have learned how to keep those power bills low. My laptop crashed so i’m using my daughters from her college days and piggy backing on my sisters internet nextdoor so I don’t get on here much cause it takes 10 minutes for the screen to change. I’m in between shrinks now cause i refuse to see a doctor who IS SUPPOSE to know about mental illness and asks me, “what have you got to be depressed about?”…lol…such is life.

I’m still “on” at DS so maybe I will look at them. It’s so easy how we get spoiled by everyday stuff. Not having cable tv, internet and a pc made in the last 10 years makes me grateful for a decent library branch nearby. I’d like to make a schedule (hahahahaha) and try writing again.

As ever, you have given me a shot in the arm. Keep on rolling sister!

Take care,
    Joni

• Felicia April 24, 2013, 9:56 am

Oh boy, I’ve been negligent in checking the comments here. Sorry for the late approval.

BTW, I’m done with DS. Just couldn’t take it anymore.

• Crystal March 24, 2013, 2:31 pm

Nice to see you back, Felicia. I’ve also considered writing for DS again but just haven’t taken the plunge. I’ll be interested in hearing if you find it as frustrating as before or whether things there have improved some.

As for residual income, mine has steadily gone up. Of course, an increase from a few dollars to a few more dollars isn’t too impressive. All I have that earns anything is three eHows published during the transition and the pennies just keep rolling in.

Good for you going back to school. Holistic nutrition should be really interesting and useful. And I’d totally forgotten about Elegantly Transformed… You do stay busy!

As for me, I have five custom memorial quilts in the works that need to be done by mid-June so there’s no writing on my horizon – I’ll be lucky if I find time to update my blog. Just the quilts wouldn’t be a problem but we’re also rotating care of my now-invalid MIL so I’ll be away from home about half the time. Oh well.

Enjoy your spring!
    Crystal recently posted..What is Old Age?

• Felicia March 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Hey Crystal,

Glad to hear your residuals are trending in the right direction. I so admire the work you do on the quilts. The thought of doing 1 overwhelms me, never mind 5!

Sorry to hear about your MIL. I’m undergoing a similar situation. It’s not a nice situation, but it’s a part of life. My elderly father and MIL are another reason why holistic nutrition has become even more important to me. I’ve seen the results of a lifetime of certain eating habits. I’d rather do what I can to prevent such an outcome.

As far as DS goes…I’m taking it real sllloooowwww! :)

• Ignatius March 19, 2013, 8:06 pm

There’s nothing wrong with a writer/entrepreneur adjusting strategies to account for changing realities. At least DMS gives you more flexibility than most places and they have raised the pay.

• Felicia March 21, 2013, 4:12 pm

Hey Ignatius,

Good hearing from you. There seems to be a constant readjustment in order to deal with the latest internet realities. Looks like there is/was another Google update.

The one good thing I find about writing for DMS is that it motivates me to get busy writing elsewhere. :)

• Ignatius March 22, 2013, 7:47 pm

That is definitely true. I think we would all rather make our own rules than follow theirs. :)

• P Thomas March 19, 2013, 4:05 pm

If it’s any solace to you, I am earning JS on the writing at the moment. All my clients have stalled, my blog is making zippo, my articles are mostly offline (I had to take them down when the site I was writing for decided it no longer needed freelance writers) and I’m back working just one job with a reasonable full time income. *Sigh*. Really not doing my Success Challenge any good!
    P Thomas recently posted..People – I will never fathom them out

• Felicia March 19, 2013, 4:16 pm

Sorry to hear about your online earnings. I think we all took a royal whompin’ as a result of those Google changes.

The good thing is you have a job that brings in a reasonable amount of income.