Need a little writing motivation? Why not sign up for NJFM's Motivation for Writers Newsletter. You'll receive a dose of motivation delivered to your inbox every Monday.

If I Had Half a Brain I’d Quit

It just goes to show how far a person can go with less than half a brain!

I’m still in the process of placing my Suite articles on a few of my blogs.  During this process I decided to update some of my income charts.  I had stopped updating several of my charts because it became too painful to see how low my income was dropping.

Take a look at these numbers and you’ll see what I mean:

Blog 1

September  $          185.47
October  $          176.93
November  $          196.57
December  $          185.98
Annual Total

$3,253.68

With income drops like that, I really should hang up my keyboard and get a “real” job, but I’m a glutton for punishment.  Things were looking pretty bleak and then I looked at Blogs #3 and #4.  I’m using an arbitrary numbering system to differentiate blogs.  They’re not really my first, second, third, etc.

Blog 3

August  $            51.47
September  $            21.07
October  $            28.04
November  $            22.94
December  $            23.87
Annual Total  $          355.24

The reason I got juiced about Blogs #3 and #4 (and a few of my other non-performing blogs) is they ended the year pretty much the way they started.  There were the anticipated seasonal fluctuations, but aside from that, things held pretty steady. In other words, the Big G didn’t have much of an affect on them. They probably would have performed better if I had added content to them regularly, but that’s beside the point.Don't Quit

My non/under performing blogs don’t have much Google favor and for the first time in my blogging career, I’m looking at that as a good thing.  As a matter of fact, if there were a way to hide these blogs from Google I’d do it.  The steady and consistent traffic these blogs get from Yahoo, Bing, Ask and AOL is much preferred to the here-today-gone-tomorrow sporadic Google traffic.

The Evolution of a Non-Quitter

Back in the day, I might have quit.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), I’ve read too many self-development and motivational books to allow myself to quit.  Half of the fun is achieving the goal against all odds.

Okay, it might not be the brightest thing to do, but I’m sticking with it.  I’ll continue developing my blogs until my residual income is where I want it to be.  I don’t expect it to be a quick easy road, but anything worth having doesn’t come easy.

“Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.”

Napoleon Hill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Earning MoneyMotivation

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (28)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kayla says:

Having a proper job after making cash blogging is never really a serious option again. Even though google seemed to declare war on us last year we must persist!

Kayla, I couldn’t have said it better myself! :)

• Kayla says:

Also – while I am on a bit of a rant on this one, do you think the perception that family members (mostly family to a lesser extent friends) is that you “do nothing”? The reason I ask this is that when something happens like a family member comes over to stay from or something needs doing in the day I am volunteered to either pick them up or perform the said act because “I am free”.

I chose to work on my stuff at night between the hours of around 1am and 7am UK time as I am a bit of an introvert and love the night, because of this I sleep until 4 or 5pm, when anyone asks my family what i do they say I lay in bed all day which is true but there is a good justification for it.

This is one of the issues of having “no job” I find!
        Kayla recently posted..The dwarf

Preach it sista! I feel your pain.

It was especially hard in the beginning because I wasn’t making much money. Then my income grew and once I started earning over $2,000 a month in residuals, my work at home lifestyle became “legitimate.” Now that things have dropped significantly, I feel like I’m almost back to square one.

Folks like us who work from home tend to do things differently than the “normal” working folks. It’s frustrating at times and so rewarding at other times.

Hang in there. The best proof of your “laying in bed all day” is in the results…money. :)

2. Hi Felicia,

You are pretty courageous to share your income stats. I am sorry that you are seeing such a drop. I can’t see you giving up though.

This is such a dilemma for so many people. I too don’t know the answer. Like you, I am very stubborn too. Hopefully we’ll find a way.

Best of luck,

Dita
    Dita from ebizdame recently posted..How To Change Admin Username In WordPress To Boost Blog Security

Dita, I’m not so sure I’m courageous. I think I’m just too silly to know better. :)

I guess it’s time for me to write another post sharing my abysmal numbers.

• Alexander says:

Yes please! I checked my Hubpages stats last night in an attempt to understand what was going on and my views have dropped significantly down to around 1800 a month. What was weird is that when I ran a few calculations, I make less money per 1000 views now than I did before – I make about 10% less per (1000) view(s) than before – is this a natural degression, meaning if my number of views go up, then the payout will increase exponentially? Have you noticed this trend at all? This actually gets me thinking that increasing views is more rewarding than it seems.

Oh my, please forgive me for being so late in approving these comments.

Alexander, I’ve found the same thing not only with HubPages, but with all of my blogs. Some months it seems the per click rate declines and other months it’s not so bad. Bottom line, lots of traffic usually resolves that issue. Since my traffic is down significantly, I feel the effects of the per click drop even more.

• Alexander says:

No forgiveness necessary, I had totally forgotten about this, but now I’m glad to know this is a common trend. Hope you’re doing well Felicia.

3. Irene says:

I am new to your blog, and am incredibly happy I came across it. I am ‘back to blogging’ after a long break – and really am still deciding if I want to be back at all! I have been trying to re-motivate myself, read everything I can about building traffic (good traffic) and basically starting from scratch again. Your post has inspired me to keep trying at least a little longer and not give up just yet. Thanks – I will be ‘hanging around here quite a bit!!
    Irene recently posted..Paid Online Writing Jobs

Hi Irene,

Sorry for taking so long to approve your comment. I’m taking quite a long break from writing to explore other interests, so things might be pretty quiet around her for a while.

4. Trent says:

Felicia — I’m always inspired by how you do the numbers and share your course-corrections. You really took a major hit, and the blogs that are holding steady are encouraging.

My projects are pretty small, but as with your 3 & 4 examples, they’ve been holding steady and even growing. Most of my traffic on three different platforms is from Google.

I’m still a newbie, so my best guess is that it has to do with small niches and regular updating. Instead of writing a lot of posts, I go in and add new, relevant material to existing posts and ping the updated ones each time. One useful thing I learned from content production work-for-hire is the value of evergreen content.

Recently I started running older posts and blogs through website analyzers and fixing problems such as overuse of certain keywords and too many links per page.

I think you’re wise to give yourself some time. Focusing on the things I enjoy most has been helping me renew my motivation.

You’ve been one of my most valuable teachers. Of all the blogs I’ve visited during this adventure, yours is the only one I visit regularly. You have such heart and spirit. You’ll overcome.
    Trent recently posted..Cleopatra and Antony: Couple Costume Idea

Trent, you’ve got a winning attitude and approach to this online writing game. Your realistic approach and day by day actions are what it takes to see positive results.

Please make sure to check in with us from time to time so we can hear about your successes.

5. JT says:

My impression is that you didn’t spend too much time on writing last year (although I could be wrong), but I suspect that once you start busting your butt again, you will make tremendous strides.
    JT recently posted..Two Main Goals for 2013

6. Grandma says:

“Half of the fun is achieving the goal against all odds.”
    This is so nice and true as well.

My up-front pay jobs in Dec started off with a bang and I thought I would have a banner month, but then with the holidays there was a period of 17 days when I wrote nothing for pay, the record for that problem before was just 8 days. Still, the month was good enough for what I needed. This month started off slow also, but all of a sudden, over the past five days, I lined up half of my monthly goal in article pay. So, we never know.

Loretta mentioned Joel Osteen. I also enjoy watching and hearing his weekly messages either on TV or online. A good one last week was about “I thought” and how that is a mistaken way to think. God’s way is best and it might not be what “I thought” it would be, but it still gets to the goal.

I guess I had a 17 day forced vacation (not entirely; I chose not to write a bunch of possible articles because I had no interest or experience with them) and I did try to enjoy it, since I know I had already exceeded my Dec goal. But we always wonder what income will come in, and we never can predict it accurately in this business.

Sometimes even using half a brain is too much thought!

You’re right about the “thought” comment. That’s why I keep pushing through because the way I think things should be and the way He thinks it should be might be different, but in the long run, God’s way is always the best. All we can do is the best we can and let Him handle the rest.

7. I am seeing major upturns on my blogs. I can’t figure out why some quality blogs are punished and others thrive. I think Google still has a lot of work to do before they get things right.
    Alina Bradford recently posted..Google Panda and Penguin Tips

8. Loretta says:

Keep on keeping on, Felicia. In addition to the positive messages that I get from your posts when my writing spirit wanes I — like you — turn to motivational books. In fact, the first thing that I do each morning is start my day by reading an inspirational quote. That brief, but positive message is the catalyst that turns me into the Little Engine That Could. I then post the quote on my Facebook page with the hope that it will inspire my friends to begin their day on a high note. (Some have told me that they look forward to the daily message.) To paraphrase something that I once heard Joel Osteen say, we never know when we might be just five steps away from our goal. Your never quit spirit will help you achieve your financial goals.
    By the way, I love the fact that you “sign off” your NJFM posts with a positive quote. Keep on keeping on, my friend.
    Loretta recently posted..Resistance to Change: A Baby Boomer’s Perspective on Computers and the Internet

It’s amazing how just one positive quote in the morning can get us moving in the right direction. I think everyone should find a “positive quote a day” type of email list to have a daily reminder delivered to the inbox. It’s a much nicer read than the tons of spam we get every day.

ONLY half a brain – you’re too funny! I’m really sorry about the economic hit you took in 2012 on blogs 1&2 but the results from blogs 3&4 inspire and motivate me. I’ve yet to earn much with my blogs but things are definitely moving in the right direction. (Truth be known, I’ve got nowhere to go but up!) As usual, your experience gives me hope – thanks for sharing.
    Crystal recently posted..2 Critical Components for Christmas Prep 2013

10. Terr says:

Great post and my question is, is there an ad program you are using that gets you traffic from other sources besides Google?

I’m almost ready to give up on my blog but I can’t let it go just yet. Also, I need to post on it more. But I never monetized the blog. That wasn’t my goal. My blog is an affiliate blog of sorts and I dunno why I never bothered to monetize it.

Also, are you saying that you simply post to your blogs, without driving any traffic to them through SMO, etc?

Monetizing a blog is a nice perk. If you were going to blog anyway, making a few bucks from it is nice.

As far as getting traffic from the other search engines, that happened naturally. They eventually got around to indexing my sites and the traffic has been pretty steady. I don’t use social networking tactics to attract traffic. I pretty much write and post.

Way back when I first started writing online I tried using Digg and Reddit. I also gave tweeting a brief go, but I didn’t enjoy any of it. I like writing so I stick with what I like. I’m probably one of the few people on the face of the earth that doesn’t Facebook. If I did, I know I’d get a heck of a lot more traffic, but maintaining it comes at a high cost.

If you enjoy adding posts to your blog, do just that. I’d add an ad or two just to see if it could bring in a few bucks. This way you would be doing what you enjoy and making a couple of bucks at the same time. It doesn’t get much better than that.

11. Alexander says:

Glad to see your engine keeps puffing along. The question then is: how do we avoid Google traffic and encourage the other?

That’s a good question. If I only knew the answer.

I guess I should continue doing what I did on Blog #1. That used to get Google traffic and now it doesn’t. So my answer would be to write quality content and eventually Google will kick you to the curb. :)