≡ Menu

Tip Toeing into Demand Studios Again

Demand Media StudiosThe more things change, the more they stay the same. It was several years ago when I wrote my first post  about Demand Studios, and here I am writing about Demand Studios again (Thanks for the suggestion, Diane).

What’s Different?

This time around there are two major changes:

1. Demand Studios
  2. My Attitude

Demand Studios

The differences in Demand Studios, er, excuse me…Demand Media Studios, are the variety of titles and pay structure. They have partnered with so many sites that the article title selection process is much easier.

Another Demand Media Studios difference is the pay scale. Years ago they paid $15 per article, now they have a variety of articles that pay anywhere from $1.50 to $500. I believe the majority of the writers are not approved for the $500 articles. The ones I write pay $25. There are a couple $30 articles I might try, but the $25 articles are right within my wheelhouse.

There are a few other changes, but I’m too new in this second go around to notice them all. I’m still exploring.

Changes in My Attitude

The editorial process is never a fun process. I guess that’s why I primarily write for myself. However, since I’ve mellowed over the years, I’m Make Correctionstrying a little harder to walk a mile in the editor’s shoes.

As I tip toe into Demand Media Studios, I welcome feedback. With so many guidelines and so many sites to write for it gets a bit confusing. During my reentry phase I look forward to constructive comments from the editors.

In the past, once an article was approved, I never looked to see if the editor made changes. All I wanted was the money. This time around I’m taking a different approach. I’m looking at the editorial changes to see how I can modify my writing to make my tenure at Demand Media Studios less stressful.

My first article was approved without a need for a rewrite, but when I saw the final copy I barely recognized it. The facts were still accurate but the delivery changed. In reading between the lines, the editor told me “get to the point without stretching the word count.” So, that’s what I did for my next article, and it flew through untouched.

Learning by Criticism

I received another rewrite request and the Felicia of old would have huffed, puffed and said, “FORGET IT!” But, the new mellower Felicia looked at the comments and took it in stride. After reading the lengthy comments I realized I wrote the article geared for the wrong audience. As I mentioned earlier, Demand Media Studios partnered with a lot of sites and my article was perfectly fine but not for the site it was written for.

Calm and Stress Free

So, what did I do? I spent a little time familiarizing myself with the audience for each site, something I should have done before I started writing. I fell into the “ready, shoot, aim” mode of writing.

Writing Discipline

I’m a little older and wiser this time around. There are two things I know for sure when it comes to writing for Demand Media Studios. I know I can write and I know the subject matter. With those two skills in hand all I have to do is become well versed in their various writing styles and I’ll be good to go. My goal is to earn a few dollars with as little stress as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Maria@ WAHM blog December 13, 2012, 8:55 am

Felicia, you inspired me to update my post on Squidoo and I included more info — also, did you know our old eHow friend Virginia A. is making over $2k/month there? mad props to her!
    Maria@ WAHM blog recently posted..Squidoo: Best for Residual Income

• Felicia December 13, 2012, 11:18 am

Wow, that’s impressive.

• Maria December 12, 2012, 5:15 pm

Felicia, my account there was opened in Dec. 2009, so that would be three years IF they were all written the first month. I will have to check on that and get back to you. Altogether, those three have earned $283.16. I think that’s mostly from just one, however, and there’s definitely been an uptick in monthly earnings in the past six months.

Earnings on my residual DS eHow articles seem to be dropping, by the way — what about yours?
    Maria recently posted..Squidoo: Best for Residual Income

• Felicia December 13, 2012, 7:52 am

Thanks for the info. It gives readers a better perspective of how long it takes to earn through residuals.

My DS eHow articles have been dropping too. I think I have 9 of them. Early in the year I earned $70 a month, now it’s down to about $40. So far this year I earned a little over $500 for those articles.

In my opinion, nothing beats residual income. :)

• Maria@ WAHM blog December 12, 2012, 7:36 am

Felicia, have you done anything on Squidoo? I just checked my earnings there and realize I’ve been overlooking a great opportunity — my three lenses brought in over $80 in October.

Anyway, Squidoo is doing better for me than my Demand Studios articles so i thought I’d mention it in case it could help you or your readers. :)
    Maria@ WAHM blog recently posted..Squidoo: Best for Residual Income

• Felicia December 12, 2012, 8:26 am

I tried Squidoo a long time ago. I think I might have one article there. I don’t remember my username/password, etc. I never warmed up to them.

Maria, how long were your 3 articles on Squidoo? I want readers to get an idea of just how long it takes to earn $80 in one month for 3 articles on Squidoo.

• Joni December 11, 2012, 10:48 am

DM was my greatest success at writing online. I think I will tip-toe in and check it out. It was also a source of stress waiting for the editors…but as you say…different attitude. I only need about 3 or 4 $25 articles to keep my “output” the same as my “input” with nothing left over but even that would be nice.
    As usual Felicia…you’re at hit.
    Take care,
    Joni

• Felicia December 11, 2012, 10:54 am

Joni, you might not think I’m so much of a hit if you read today’s post. :)

• Terr December 9, 2012, 9:06 am

It’s great that you’re choosing to have a stiff upper lip about DM, but pay attention to what your mind and gut is telling you re: the peace of mind issue.

DM editors are NOTORIOUS for messing with one’s peace of mind. That’s why I’ve never been in a hurry to write for them. I think I applied for a titling position and I got turned down. After reading what other writers say about the editors, and after learning what company many of those editors came from, I stayed far away.

But as you’ve said, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. And at least you have enough leeway not to kill yourself with penny mills.

BTW, do you know about Examiner? Lots of people are doing well on that site and you can write about what you want.
    Terr recently posted..Happy Red Tails Day!

• Felicia December 9, 2012, 9:42 am

When preserving peace of mind, you’ve got to be willing to let some things go.

For example, the article rewrite I mentioned above resulted because I wrote the piece using the wrong style. The editor’s opening comment was something to the effect of “become familiar with the style guide for site XYX.”

After reading the first sentence of the comment, I went to the style guide and realized I wrote using the wrong flavor. So, now that I know the flavor, I know exactly how to re-write the article (and yes, I would have to rewrite it because my flavor was entirely wrong).

The mistake I made was reading the additional comments. You see, after advising me to read the style guide no more editing was necessary. The article didn’t meet the site’s criteria and should be returned for rewrite.

Instead of leaving it there, however, the editor mechanically droned on word for word, paragraph by paragraph telling me why the style was wrong. To me this was a redundancy and a waste of the editor’s time. It also caused ill feelings on my part.

Then I thought about it. Everyone is different. Some folks get the big picture and other folks don’t. I’m assuming the editor felt the need to explain every word in explicit detail on how incorrect the style was because some people need that level of explanation.

Here’s where peace of mind thinking comes in. Instead of rewriting it, I’m letting it go. You see, if I decide to rewrite the article, the editor’s comments would continually be refreshed in my head. That would affect my peace of mind. Instead, the article as written will fit snuggly into one of my websites. Ahhh, peace of mind restored!

Oh, and regarding Examiner…not so sure that it’s my cup of tea. I wrote a post on it and commented some time ago that their requirement to write several articles a week was more than what I was willing to do. They might have changed their requirement, but at this point in my writing life I’ll only write elsewhere for up front pay. All residual writings will be for my own sites unless I find a deal that is too sweet to turn down.

• Loretta December 9, 2012, 8:08 am

Another inspiring post, Felicia; so much so that I am thinking that one day I might explore the option of trying to write for Demand Studios. Like you, I prefer writing for myself. It may not be as profitable, but it is certainly less stressful than writing for someone else. For this baby boomer, less stress is better.
    I know I have said it before, but I will repeat it — I am so glad to again find NJFM in my email box on a regular basis. By the way, as a health nut, I also enjoy reading your “A Dose of Health” blog.
    Loretta recently posted..Resistance to Change: A Baby Boomer’s Perspective on Computers and the Internet

• Felicia December 9, 2012, 8:29 am

Glad you enjoy my ramblings here and there.

Give Demand Studios a try. I’ve shared my experiences here so you get of flavor of what you’ll be getting into. The quick money is nice as long as it doesn’t screw around with my peace of mind. I can’t sell my peace of mind for $25.

As for A Dose of Health, my brain is exploding. It’s amazing the things we accept as normal that were not meant to be normal at all. I’ll end my comments here because I feel a soapbox speech on health coming on. As a health nut I’m sure you know the speech so no need for me to go there. :)

• Ken December 8, 2012, 4:38 pm

Glad to see you back! Made my week.

Ken
    Ken recently posted..9 Blogging Ideas that Work Almost Anywhere

• Felicia December 9, 2012, 8:18 am

Good to see you, Ken. I was surprised when I went to Blogging Dudes and it was gone, but it looks like you folded it into Content 4 Blogs. It looks good and I like that idea. I liked the way you took your old stuff, kept it separate but not separate.

Boy, you have been busy!

• Ken December 9, 2012, 10:53 am

Felciia,

I had to kill it…she was haunting me. It taught me to do a lot of stuff but it never really became what I wanted it to. But having it sitting in the corner made me feel bad. This way I still get to cover similar topics with a fresh start.

Go Pats!