≡ Menu

$1,257.33 for a Blog Post?

Residual Income GrowthIf I told you that I was paid $1,257.33 for a blog post would you believe me? Better yet what if I told you I had 14 blog posts that paid $1,257.33 each, would you think I was sipping something stronger than cream in my coffee?

The truth is the $1,257.33 figure isn’t a solid number. It’s actually a moving target that keeps going up. How did I manage to get paid such a handsome sum per post? Easy, I was too stubborn to quit.

How My Posts Became So Valuable

Here’s the scoop. You all know that I’ve got blogs all over the place. Some are moneymakers and most of them aren’t. Whenever I develop an interest, I create a blog about it and blog until my interest fades.

When my passion and interest faded I did not delete my blogs. I know myself well enough to understand that I’m cyclical in my interests (as probably you are too). What’s exciting for me now won’t be three years from now, but six years from then I might fall in love with the subject all over again. One of the advantages of being as old as I am is I get to watch myself travel through the various interest cycles (my poor hubby never knows who he’s married to).  Fortunately, the Internet likes age too.  Old blogs are a good thing.

Back to the High-Paying Blog Posts

The blogging community is great because it accommodates cyclical personalities. Now that I’m getting into writing again, I spent the last couple of days recording income and analyzing my writing sites. What I found was 8 sites (6 I own and 2 I do not) were responsible for over $17,000 in earnings ($17,602.61 and counting).

After tallying this year’s earnings, I looked at the amount of work I put in for those 8 sites. In total I wrote 14 posts for those sites this year. Some sites didn’t get any new posts and a few got one or two. All in all in a period of 11 months I wrote 14 posts and earned $17,602 in residual income from them. The work I did in prior years is still paying off.

80/20 RuleKeep on Writing

I do have a ton of other sites, but those other sites brought in a little over $2,800 this year and it took 146 posts to earn that, an average of $19.18 per post.

Now that I’ve analyzed my earnings and where they’re coming from, my strategy going forward is as follows:

1. Earn up front pay to close the financial gap (sounds like another round with Demand Studios)
  2. Write more frequently on those sites that bring in the most cash
  3. Continue to write on those low-paying high-enjoyment sites to preserve my sanity.

Google, Social Media and Other Items Out of My Control

Google will continue doing its thing, Facebook, Twitter and all the other social media sites will do their thing and I will continue doing my thing. I’ll let them control their actions while I control mine. That’s my plan in a nutshell.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Joni December 8, 2012, 4:50 pm

So very inspiring…as usual!
    Joni

• cashflowmantra December 7, 2012, 2:32 pm

Wow, from $600 to $10. That makes me feel good going from $40 to $7.50 per month at HubPages. I do like the idea of residual income and will be curious to see what I am making in three years from my work in 2012.
    cashflowmantra recently posted..Blogging from Las Vegas

• Felicia December 8, 2012, 7:15 am

I almost forgot about HubPages. My income with them is so small that I stopped checking my earnings. :)

• Crystal Watts December 7, 2012, 9:31 am

I enjoyed reading your post and fully understand your journey of the ages :)

I was wondering, is that revenue all Adsense or is some of it from other avenues?

Thanks,
    Crystal
    Crystal Watts recently posted..WordPress To Go – How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner

• Felicia December 8, 2012, 7:19 am

Crystal, for some reason your post ended up in the spam folder.

No, those earnings aren’t all from AdSense. It comes from AdSense, InfoLinks, Chitika, Amazon and affiliates. I try to spread things around as much as possible.

• Vidya Sury December 5, 2012, 3:11 am

Very well done! Am I right in recalling you wrote about this before? I loved how you presented it!

By the way, I stopped receiving your Monday “Motivation” quite some time ago. Liked them very much.

Love, Vidya
    Vidya Sury recently posted..Home Sweet Home

• Felicia December 5, 2012, 6:26 am

Vidya, I have to apologize to you and everyone else who has subscribed to my Motivational emails. You stopped receiving them because I hadn’t written anything new in quite some time. Now that I’ve returned to writing, I’m sure the inspiration will come to write additional newsletters.

As a matter of fact I have a few seeds that were planted in my head. I’m just waiting for them to grow a little before I write about them.

• WordChazer December 4, 2012, 5:29 pm

I like residual income too. I’m working through my posts at Suite101.com now it’s up and running again and seeing what I can do with those. In the two months since the site reopened, I have seen my monthly income go up to 6 times what it was, and yes, we’re still talking double figures but I’m in there posting and tweaking and fiddling and engaging most of the time when I’m not at work, asleep or editing.

It’ll be interesting to see where this ends – and where the additional work has left my own blog.

Thanks for continuing to give me a kick every now and again to remind me of what and who I really need to be looking towards when it comes to earnings from writing.
    WordChazer recently posted..Guest Blog via PostJoint: When Writing Fiction for Children, Start with a KISS

• Felicia December 5, 2012, 6:23 am

I’m happy to hear that you Suite income has increased. Mine is a fraction of what it used to be.

At the height I made about $600 a month. Last month I made $10. Granted, I haven’t written anything new or tweaked anything there in quite some time. For now, I’m allowing my Suite articles to just sit. Maybe some time in the future I’ll write something new or tweak, but for now I’ve got to spend my time on sites that are giving me a better return.

• Grandma December 4, 2012, 2:38 pm

LOL – I just had to laugh out loud at this – great work! The beauty of residual income. There’s nothing better than getting paid again and again for something we wrote years ago!