Not So Impressive Earnings

| June 14, 2012 | 21 Comments

Wow, it’s the middle of June and I haven’t posted my May numbers. How have things been going? Well, my income has been declining steadily.

Am I upset? Well, sort of yes and sort of no. I know that if I spent the time figuring out how to stop the decline, I most probably would reverse it and reach my prior monthly income. The crucial part of that statement is “if I spent the time.”

As things stand now, I’d rather spend my time doing other things.

My NumbersDrop in Income

Last month, I earned $1,771.13. While that’s not too bad for 100% residual income, it’s a big drop from my March high of $3,237.49.

When I analyze my numbers further, I really can’t complain because my per article earnings (derived by dividing monthly income by number of posts written) for the month of May was $104.17. That means I wrote 17 articles.

Actually that number is misleading because of the 17 posts, 7 were placed on non-income producing sites. The other 10 were placed on low-income producing sites. I’ve got a bunch of sites that don’t really make much money at all, but they’re a lot of fun to write for.

My average daily residual income, however, dropped to $57.24 per day. A far cry from when I was in the Double O Club.

Going Forward

The way I see it, unless I do something different, my income will continue to decline (although Ignatius offered a great tip on how to stop the blood letting).

There is a silver lining, though. It looks like my Suite 101 income is starting to improve. No, it’s not back to the high of $600 as it was a couple of years ago, but it’s not at the January 2012 low of $35.

Maybe when the summer is over, I’ll spend more time online. Right now, I’d rather be outdoors and away from the computer.

I hope your income isn’t taking the beating that mine has. Until next time…

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Audrey Ryanes says:

After the penguin update most bloggers earnings and traffic were hit I guess, I being of of them. But I have made a decision not to be worried so much about that too. I will do what google needs to be done, and go out there and live life, and just have fun.

2. My income has been mainly from providing services and since last few months, Thanks to Google updates, the work load has been increasing. I would like to believe that cheap SEO services have taken a hit after the updates and thus it is helping me in my business.

3. Ignacio Titus says:

I wish you will earn an increasing income at next time. Thanks for your detailed post.

4. Ken Muise says:

Hey Felicia,

Good to hear from you again! Sorry to hear that earnings are down. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the summer. BOKASHI…or whatever that stuff is.

I’ve had some success with imaginative monetization…but like you predicted it became a lot harder…lol.

I wish I could get this affiliate thing down. Working that angle right now and thanking God for Infolinks.

Peace

Ken

Hey Ken! Good to hear from you too. I’ve been checking Blogging Dudes from time to time.

I’ve found Infolinks to be pretty consistent during these ups and downs, unlike AdSense.

I’m thinking affiliates are the way to go. I never got the hang of it and will probably look into it more after the summer is over. I received a small commission check the other day (yes, they actually snail mailed a check) and I didn’t know what it was for or what program I had signed up for so many months/years ago. After receiving the check I decided to put affiliate marketing on my “To Do” list.

I’d be interested to track your progress on your affiliate trials and tribulations.

Have a great summer!

BTW, my son (not really my son, but he might as well be) just came back from Boot Camp. He joined the Marines. I’ve got to tell you, he’s a different person. We used to tease him because he always had an excuse for almost everything. Now…excuse is not part of his vocabulary. I was soooo impressed, not to mention that he lost 40 pounds and is in the best shape of his life.

I haven’t thanked you before, but thanks for all you do. I know you’re not a Marine, but I truly, truly appreciate my service men and women! I’d hate to think where we would all be without you guys. Thank You!

• Ken Muise says:

Thanks, Felicia. I appreciate you saying so. That’s great about your “son”…may he stay skinny and safe.

Yeah, I have decided to work 3 blogs and start using them to push some affiliate products, I think. I’ve also been reading a whole lot about Squidoo and “building a good lens”. I may try to leverage their popularity with link building back to my sites and pushing the same products on those articles.

I’m trying to get into some up-front stuff again but the market seems either stagnant or spoiled by the guys who write 500 word articles for a buck or two.

If anyone is interested though, Independent-publishing.com has a lot of Groupon work right now and they pay like 1.9 per word at the basic level. Just a lead if anyone is looking. I know TB is slow for a level 3 writer right now (which I am). I actually made it a point to study TB and try to raise my level however, it seems that there is hardly anything that I WANT to write there. (Maybe I’m the one who is spoiled).

Ken

Glad to hear your Suite 101 earnings are picking up with all the changes there. Am I totally missing something or is there really no way on Suite to see which articles are the earners? I was on the site a while back and couldn’t get any info at all, which I attributed to them being in the midst of change. Now links for reports and graphs appear but the info leaves a lot to be desired. Hmm. Maybe there are more changes to come?

Enjoy your summer and time away from the computer, Felicia. Isn’t it nice that some money just keeps rolling in anyway?

No, your not missing anything Crystal. Suite never provided that info.

You can see which articles are getting the most traffic, but not the most income. They made changes where now the information is integrated with Google Analytics.

I connected my account with Analytics, but I never check it. I’m easily overwhelmed by Analytics.

And yes, it is nice to have the money come in residually. I just wish the numbers were a bit higher. 🙂

• Grandma says:

Suite did have the per article counts for a month or two and then they stopped. You can see numbers at Google Analytics now.

I was surprised the past couple days to see my Suite income take a small hike also. Instead of a penny or two in a day, on the 14th it was $1.01…how appropriate. A far cry from the best before Panda, but maybe encouraging.

I did recently finally put up four short articles that I wrote for another content website client who hated what I did. The articles were fine, IMO, so I just stuck them up on Suite right away; why not?

6. Reena says:

I have taken a different route to online writing, although, I really don’t know if it’s right or not. As long as I meet my monthly goal of earning x amount of dollar, I am OK. The constant changes are mind boggling and trying to fight them is frustrating. I continue to write for Upfronts and whatever residuals I make is like a bonus – sometimes big, sometimes not so! I guess its easier to talk when the food on the table is not dependent on the money you make. Happy summer, Felicia. I really miss having you around. You are like our guardian angel.

Reena, as long as the money is coming in, it sounds like your route is the right route to take. 🙂

Actually, I am around (sort of). I’ve been spending more of my time sharing my gardening trials and errors on my living green blog. I find that so much more rewarding than trying to figure out what Google is going to do next.

7. Alexander says:

There’s a life outside of the computer? I’ll chime in because it seems my HP earnings seem to change the same way your overall earnings do, I am getting about 4.5K views a month according to the stats and until two months ago, my pay was steadily rising and now seems to be steadily declining on a monthly basis. It’s annoying but I think it just means I will focus on followers rather than unique visitors coupled with product placement maybe. That may be a tall order.

In any case, I am very glad you posted here, I was starting to wonder if some glitch threw me off the email list or if something happened to you.

Enjoy the summer Felicia, you’ve earned it and maybe it will re-energize you for something different or maybe even to get back to writing. However, it sounds like you’re a little tired of the constant fight with Google surprises and I don’t blame you!

8. Oh, Felicia, I know how it feels! One of my blogs completely fell out of the SERPs with the recent changes and went from a PR of 1, down to 0. I am determined to re-figure out how to improve search engine ranking and visibility in the results — I NEED the online writing to pay off!

9. My earnings have also been in a decline as has the traffic. I won’t be worrying too much. I have decided that I have been obsessed too much with stats and will be trying to spend more time outside and having fun.

I’m with you, Cash Flow. I guess this recent turn of events is the tap on the shoulder we needed to get up from the computer and on with real life.