≡ Menu

Chatting about Money & Interest

I realize I haven’t written about my income in a while. This is partly because there haven’t been any major changes and partly because I haven’t been doing too much writing.

Money and Interest

December 2011 was my highest residual income month of $3,037. That was the first month where I snuck in the back door of the Double O Club. The membership was temporary. The following month my income dropped a bit below required $100 per day. In January I earned $2,978.52.

I got a little further away from the DOC in February with a number of $2,778.35. All in all, these are not bad numbers, but they weren’t moving in a positive direction. If the remainder of March plays out the way the first third of the month is playing, I’ll be a card-carrying member of the Double O Club, but the Internet is fickle, so we’ll wait and see.

Losing Interest?

I can’t say that I’ve totally lost interest in online writing, but it hasn’t been providing the same spark and excitement that  it once did. I still write online, but am finding I need to spend much more time offline. Maybe I’m undergoing the 7-year itch two years early. Who knows?

Maybe instead of writing, it’s time for me to get back to my art supplies and draw. I’m not quite sure which direction to go, but I do know that forcing what isn’t there is not good.

I know I’m not the only online person to undergo such feelings. I’d be interested to hear from “old timers” who had to change direction for a while. It might give me the shot in the arm that I need.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Trent Adams April 14, 2012, 11:17 pm

I always find something here I can relate to. I’ve made all of my income online for more than three years — most of it from copywriting. I have no idea how I ever wrote 30 articles a week.

This year I experimented with a couple of rev share sites and created some niche sites on Blogger. Now I’m creating product tie-ins, and getting back into fiction.

I’m burned out on cranking out copy to cover the bills. This month I made payout on a couple of the adventures — not major money, but I’m covering about a week’s worth of groceries for pages I enjoyed creating. A good break from writing to client specifications.

My Adsense income grows every month. Now that I’ve read the latest round of Google horror stories I have even more incentive to keep diversifying.

I don’t picture myself writing an endless number of articles for the rest of my life. I have an eBook in progress and I’m remaining open to inspiration.

In middle-age I’m returning to my original dream: writing novels and being an entrepreneur. One step at a time toward freedom.

Felicia, you are always an inspiration.
    Trent Adams recently posted..New Zombie Store and Dirt on Zombie Stuff Shopping Guide

• Felicia April 17, 2012, 3:51 pm

Trent, I applaud you for returning to your original dream. Too often we chase the dollars only to get burnt out.

I think the key is diversity and sticking with it. Oh, and make sure you’re doing something you enjoy. It’s hard to stick with something you hate to do. Good luck with your novels.

• D. Heath March 12, 2012, 10:06 pm

I honestly believe that Panda was a huge downer emotionally (as Google intended). Even if you did recover (which you did) the inner feelings that just one algorithm change can wipe out years of work is unsettling. People generally seek to avoid unsettling issues, which consciously or unconsciously. Perhaps you should try another niche in online writing.
    D. Heath recently posted..Panda Updates Strategically Created Demand for Google’s Social Network

• Felicia March 13, 2012, 8:08 am

D. Heath, I’ve currently got nearly 30 different niche sites (all different). Some are in various states of development and others, well, they’re still in the setting up phase. I’m not too sure there are any other niches I’m willing to try.

Even with all of my niches, I think I’m looking for something different. Alexander’s comment was spot on. It’s time for me to do an exchange.

• Alexander Mark March 12, 2012, 8:53 pm

Felicia, first of all, showing you can make 3000 a month blogging online is very encouraging. Thank you. I am not sure myself if this the path for me – I know I will always want to write, but I don’t like the thought of blogging for the rest of my life.

I remember clearly a point in time that was somewhat profound because it showed me something I thought was unpleasant but now realize it merely exposed who I am to myself. A computer geek roommate of mine hooked up our computers to play Unreal Tournament together. He was so good at it, he whupped me time after time. Then I figured out how to beat him and when I realized after a few times that I could, I couldn’t win anymore. I got bored – it was too easy.

So, second, I suspect that many people like yourself (I’d like to lump myself in this category although so far I have been an underachiever) feel the need to move up. You’re not bored exactly, you’re not really looking for greener pastures, you’re looking to exchange the pasture you have for a boat so you can find a completely different type of commerce to be challenged in different ways. That’s what I think, forgive me if I am making assumptions about you from my own personal world view.

So don’t beat on yourself, maybe just relax and let the money come in and look to the next adventure. Hope this helps in some way.

• Felicia March 13, 2012, 8:06 am

Alexander, I LOVE your analogy. I’m exchanging my pasture for a boat.

I had a conversation with my son this morning and I’m thinking he may have just introduced me to my boat. :) Too early to tell, but sounds pretty exciting.

• Alexander Mark March 13, 2012, 5:02 pm

Please let us know what that is as soon as you’re ready!

• Felicia March 14, 2012, 7:19 am

Upon doing a little more research, I’m not so sure it’s something I’m interested in.

• Alexander Mark March 15, 2012, 4:06 pm

Aaawww. I hope you figure out which direction to go – even if it’s the same one.

• Felicia March 16, 2012, 6:37 am

My son’s new venture is exciting for him and I’ll lend him a hand, but it’s not for me.

In the meanwhile, I’m in a balancing, learning and receiving pattern. I’m working on balancing the portions of my life that were a bit out of balance from spending so much time on the computer (yes, I believe my bout with sciatica is from lack of conditioning and spending too much time on the computer).

I’m also finding other interests and learning everything I can about them. There’s brain learning that requires a lot of reading and processing and there’s skill learning that requires a lot of doing.

Lastly, I’m in a receiving pattern because I’m open to new ideas and opportunities.

In the meanwhile, I’ve found that I have to develop a couple of my websites. You see, I registered several domain names in the past year and have done nothing but set up the template along with a stats counter. I’m finding that a couple of the domains are getting regular traffic and are on Google’s page 1 search results and none of them have content.

That tells me there is a need to be filled, so I had better get around to filling it.

• Alexander Mark March 20, 2012, 4:36 am

Does it seem we are always seeking a new balance in life? I feel that way – but I think that’s normal. Sounds like you are going in a great direction. As soon as I am able, I am also going to fill those niches – but it may be a year or two. Fascinating that you are getting traffic on contentless sites. I should check my future author site and see what’s coming through traffic-wise.

Felicia, I have set my eyes on writing for a living, and to let God take care of the rest, and also for the timing of when to begin. Hearing about traffic on your undeveloped sites along with the organically growing traffic on my HP account, is spurring me on.

Hope that developing those sites is the answer you’re looking for – gotta do what makes you happy…

• Felicia March 20, 2012, 7:43 am

Alexander, we’re pretty much following the same path.

As far as filling up those empty sites, like you, it will take quite some time. It will take me even longer because I seem to be traveling at a snails pace.

I looked back over my years of writing and noted that in my second and third years I wrote over 750 articles per year. After that my numbers slowly declined.

I’m trying to encourage myself to write an average of one article or post a day, but I’m falling far behind. I’m averaging an article every other day. I guess the pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction and will eventually rest in the middle later this year or next year.

That’s the good thing about online writing (especially residual writing); it allows you to slow down when you need to.

• Ken March 12, 2012, 4:43 pm

When life gives you icebergs…make snow cones!
    Ken recently posted..Starting A New Blog? Run A Contest via Facebook!

• Deanna March 12, 2012, 2:13 am

Felicia – follow your passion and the rest will all fall into place. I know that sounds corny, but it really is the truth. When I walked away from blogging and article writing to write and sell novels, I had no idea what the outcome would be – and here I am, only a few months into it, happier than I’ve been in years. I’m doing what I love and am enjoying small successes – and earning money.

You already have built up a nice residual income from all your hard work and it will continue to come in month after month for quite some time. Give yourself some time to decide what your next step will be. Knowing you, when you do decide, you will put your heart and soul into it and enjoy even greater success!
    Deanna recently posted..Outlaw Heroes – FREE Days March 14th – 16th!

• Felicia March 12, 2012, 8:34 am

Deanna, it doesn’t sound corny at all. I finally believe that by following my passion it will all work out. It took me many years to realize it. In the past I used to follow the money and put a damper on my passion.

I’m very happy to hear things are working out well for you. You get to do exactly as you advised me to do. You’re following your passion and everything else is falling into place. I wish you continued success!

• Crystal March 11, 2012, 9:12 pm

First off, congratulations on the earnings. Despite the monthly fluctuations, you’ve created a healthy residual income for your family and should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Secondly, beings that money will continue to come in with little (or no) additional effort on your part, I say go for the art! And if you figure out it isn’t what you want to pursue, try something else. And there’s certainly nothing that says you can’t come full circle and be right back to generating more residual income (or even writing for clients!) down the line.

Third, are you sure you even care to reach your former goals of $5,000 and $10,000 per month? If you work on simplification and stress free living, you may find you don’t need (or even want) the money – at least not at the expense of your time and peace.

Whatever route you take, Felicia, you have a lot of friends out here cheering you on.:)
    Crystal recently posted..Clever Dual-Duty Tissue Box Cover

• Felicia March 11, 2012, 11:40 pm

Crystal, you hit the nail on the head!

While I would love to hit the $5,000 and $10,000 monthly goal, I’m learning what is really important. Unfortunately, those around me haven’t quite “evolved” the way I have.

I’m a very cheap date! The older I get, the simpler my needs get. I’m trying my best to influence those around me to understand the vicious cycle of bigger, better and more is a killer. It’s not an easy sell, but I’m not one to give up.

• Joni March 11, 2012, 7:43 pm

Like Grandma said, I too feel as though there is “something in the air”. At 57, I have finally accepted that because of my mental disabilities I seem to be able to only go so far in life (economically). I was able to stay home for 15 years to raise and homeschool my kids therefore, when I returned to work at 35 I realized I had to finish my BS degree to get on a level playing field with those who stayed in the workforce when I took a detour. I graduated with a BS in Health Science at age 40 and went to work at AFLAC for 6 years and started out making $19K and six years later I was making $31K (not bad for middle GA income). Due to my health problems, I was fired. I found myself at 46 starting again.

I enrolled in school to get a Masters in counseling and found a job as an office assistant for the state dept. of labor while finishing that degree. I graduated in 2006 and was promoted in the same office to rehabilitation counselor helping those with physical and mental disabilities to join the workforce. Counting the time I was office assistant (2 years) and counselor (4 years) I had six years under my belt. The last two years at that job, I was discriminated against horribly and filed an EEOC complaint. I was afraid to have two “firings” on my record back to back so I quit in 2010 and waited 3 years for the EEOC to get back to me. At that place of work, I started over again at 19K and ended at 30K.

Due to my age, my poor mental health and the severe harassment¸ my shrink finally talked me into filing for disability and within 5 months, I was approved. Yes, I get a small check but it in no way covers my basic bills AND my health care. Contrary to popular belief, you do not automatically get Medicaid or Medicare with disability. Most months I have to decide between paying my utilities or going to the doctor and taking meds. This is not a pity party seeking solace, it is me facing reality.

I have made some money working for DS a few years ago and then Textbroker and other places. I even started two blogs but without medication, I am unable to be consistent. I hope I’m making sense. Yes, they SAY you can work and get disability but all the info I have received on that issue is “you’d better be careful or they will take it away in a minute”. So I feel “stuck”. If I write and make over a certain amount, they will consider me not disabled. Nevertheless, I know I am not able (at this time) to sustain writing or any other work on a consistent basis.

I’ve been told when I am 62 that the SSDI will automatically change over to regular social security retirement and there will be no restrictions on how much I can work. However, I don’t want to wish 5 years away to be 62….LOL. It goes fast enough as it is.

I still get a rush when I write or read about others success. I suppose I will always have the dream; the question is will I always have what it takes. To be a depressed person I still have a glimmer of hope.

I think the internet is actually still “new” to the world. It is still going through growing pains. Of course, technology will always be changing no matter how old it gets. To me, you are a wonderful success story; but it doesn’t matter what I think. It matters what you think. And for writers to enjoy their craft each one of us must have the dream or goal and the “want to” when we don’t feel like it.

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble. Just my two cents.

Take care,
    Joni

• Felicia March 11, 2012, 11:25 pm

Joni, I love and appreciate your honesty! I’m not too familiar with mental illness, but I hope you don’t discount your abilities. What I mean is that the “normal” folks make us believe we are limited if we don’t have the appropriate degrees or fit within the “normal” mold.

If you could go from $19K to $31K in 6 years in a traditional job market, I’m thinking you can blow the roof off when you find your niche. We tend to limit ourselves by the cubicle mentality (I wrote a post on it quite some time ago).

Now that I’m in my 50’s I’m finally realizing there’s little I can’t do if I put my mind to it. “For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:14.

Freelance writing has taught me a lot. More than learning how to write, it taught me that if you really, really want something, there’s nothing or no one in the world that can stop you from achieving it but you. I’m not trying to make light of your situation, but I believe we all have a handicap of some sort.

Prior to my most recent set of epiphanies, I believe my handicap was my lack of confidence and belief that it can be done. I now sit with my pen and paper and write a list of the things I want. After I make the list, I brainstorm and determine the steps, education, skills, people and time it requires to accomplish the task.

Most things don’t happen overnight, but they do happen. Your ability to home school your children (something in hindsight I wish I had done), you can do anything (in my opinion).

Also (and this is for you Grandma), it’s never too late. Have you heard of Bernardo LaPallo (110 years old ) and Mimi Kirk (73 years old)?

Joni, you’re right that the Internet is still “new.” There are folks discovering it every day. That means you have more Internet knowledge than lots of folks. Capitalize on that. With your Internet knowledge, your ability to write, your life experiences and personality, the sky is the limit. You have much more than a glimmer of hope. I see it; I just hope you see it too.

Just my 2 cents too… :)

• Grandma March 12, 2012, 12:50 pm

LOL Felicia…I am not THAT old YET…only going on a ripe age of 65 this October…

• Felicia March 12, 2012, 2:36 pm

LOL. No, you’re not old. 65 is the new 55 or 45 or 35. I’m not sure what age is what anymore, but the one thing I do know, people like LaPallo and Kirk inspire me. At 53 and 3/4 I’ve got a lot of years ahead of me. :)

• Grandma March 12, 2012, 3:14 pm

Funny, we do look young in our family. A while back there was a young girl selling windows door-to-door. Somehow I told her my age (64) and she said I didn’t look more than 44~! That was cute :) Guess it’s all in our minds…age, that is, as long as we still have them, minds that is….

• Joni March 12, 2012, 6:10 pm

Thanks! I’ve always thought I could do anything I set my mind to (even if others thought I was nuts) until the last few years. Your encouragement was the shot in the arm I needed!
        God Bless,
        Joni

• Grandma March 12, 2012, 12:59 pm

Joni, go to http://www.ssa.gov and check out about your benefits on disability. I believe it does not change over until you are 65, at least that is my situation. You can make about $1000 per month after expenses to supplement your income, but that is supposed to be in less than 20 hours a week of work. Their rules are the ones to look at, however, not anything you “hear” from others. Another problem is once you are on regular social security, you are stuck at whatever level you take it at. If you retire earlier than “normal” for your birth year, you will get considerably less – I still have to check to see what happens when they make you switch over…do you stay at the same rate you had while on disability or does it go down?

If you are doing extra supplemental work, you can have some deductions for income tax taken out of the disability payments as well, to avoid problems there.

Sorry about your discrimination problems; you should sue them. My daughter-in-law just got hurt at work and they fired her so she is in the midst of that hassle; she may not be able to do regular work now for who knows how long. Other issues of discrimination at that business also, along with the boss being downright abusive.

Good luck and hang in there.

• Joni March 12, 2012, 6:13 pm

Grandma,
        I’m sure you are correct. With the deluge of paperwork I’ve had to complete in the last year it can become confusing! I will check into it.
        Take Care and God Bless,
        Joni

• Grandma March 11, 2012, 2:03 pm

Oh I see potential for tee shirt sales in this comment you just created:

…got nothing to say, why blog about it?

• Felicia March 11, 2012, 11:23 pm

LOL! Always the entrepreneur.

• Allison March 11, 2012, 12:56 pm

I’ve been following your ups and downs for a little over a year now…I really think that you would benefit GREATLY if you would participate in Oprahs Lifeclass. I recently started watching the webcasts and doing the homework and it’s been incredibly eye-opening!

Best Wishes

You’ve been a huge inspiration!

• Felicia March 11, 2012, 11:23 pm

Thanks, Allison. I’ll check it out.

• Syn March 13, 2012, 3:53 pm

I know you’re a fan of Iyanla. Did you know Oprah is finally giving her her own show!!!

She’s not just going to contribute to Lifeclass, but have another show. Yay!

• Felicia March 14, 2012, 7:17 am

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the heads up.

It’s funny; I carry a picture of Iyanla in my wallet. It’s not because I’m a crazy fan, but she makes my life easy when I go to a barber to get my hair cut.

Because I don’t have a steady barber I either cut my hair myself or when I pass a barber and see an empty chair, I’ll go in for a cut. By pulling out her picture, I don’t have to tell them how to cut it.

One person who didn’t have a clue who Iyanla was, asked me if it was a picture of me (the picture has the Oprah back drop and Oprah sitting next to Iyanla).

I was tempted to say, “Oh yes, that’s me. Do you want my autograph?” But I didn’t. :)

• Grandma March 14, 2012, 9:11 pm

That is a funny story. I actually have on internet friend that knows and worked with Iyanla on the daytime show “Starting Over” from a few years ago – Jill Tracey. She is very nice, funny, and about your age.

• Allison March 24, 2012, 12:51 am

This is just too funny because I wrote that original post due to this nagging thought that Felicia has an uncanny resemblance to Iyanlya…wasn’t aware that you are a fan.

• Felicia March 24, 2012, 6:49 am

Yep, I am a fan. ;)

It’s something about her tell-it-like-it-is style that made me a fan.

• Grandma March 10, 2012, 11:56 am

I know, I think, what you are feeling. I am getting yet another “feeling” that it’s time to move on or look elsewhere from the writing efforts I have been doing. Partly due to a “crash” I experienced last year in income, and partly because I fear the same happening with current revenue sources. Maybe we just get burnout from doing the same thing. I know as a full Libra that I don’t like change, but on the other hand, I seem to always be looking at doing different things. Doesn’t sit well for the balance equation.

Maybe there is something else going on in your life that is being transferred to work mode. Have you ever looked at life coaching and what that is, how it is done? It costs, but there should be plenty of information out there that you could get a good grip on the basics without hiring someone as a coach.

I wish I had a kernel of excitement right now about anything. It’s like being on hold forever but knowing I am running out of time, like those sands through the hourglass. That should motivate me to get off center, but so far it hasn’t. The only thing I do know is that “something” is in the air about to “happen”. Not sure what.

Another thing that I have noticed before is that during a presidential election year, there are a lot of “bad vibes” all over. During one election year, my regular job income was drastically reduced; I get to where I don’t even want to hear about it but it is on the news all the time, and the commericials always seem to go to negatives about opponents instead of some candidate telling us what they would do.

Good luck…it’s an on-going problem – stay flexible. Also, I am sure everyone here wants you to stay in touch via NJFM. We obviously have things in common.

• Felicia March 11, 2012, 10:38 am

I hear ya, Grandma. I guess I’m looking for simplification and stress free living (idealistic, I know).

Many years ago, I used to enjoy drawing and painting. I never pursued it because I knew that if I had to make money from my artwork, it would take the joy out of it.

I’m at the point where I’ve got a residual income stream coming in from my existing work. My goal is to relax, write about what I enjoy, maybe get back to my long lost passion for art and experiment with alternative income options. I’m removing the self-imposed stress of blogging a certain number of posts per week or writing a certain number of articles a week.

I’ve actually been writing a bit more on my A Dose of Health and BLULOW blogs. Those blogs make little to no money, but writing there is 100% stress free. NJFM is also stress free, but if I’ve got nothing to say, why blog about it?

I might be going through a mid-life (or past mid-life) crisis. :) Whatever the reason, I’m going to coast for a while and smell the roses. I’m not completely done with online writing because I still have my $5,000 and $10,000 per month residual income goals to achieve. I’m just taking a little detour for a while.

Next post: