≡ Menu

New Infolinks Graphic: The Mind of a Blogger

InfolinksI’m a big fan of Infolinks. I use them on just about all of my money making blogs.

Recently they sent out a newsletter spreading the news about a new graphic  they created on the mind of a blogger. The graphic was well done and well thought out (well, mostly well thought out).

It is a graphic interpretation of what we bloggers must consider every time we create a blog. We have to think of things like selecting the proper URL, subject matter, SEO, quality content, driving traffic to the site and of course social networkability.

The graphic showed different people in various stages of creating a blog. The graphics are cute and non-offensive.

NY Knick - Jeremy LinA Diversified World

It saddened me, however, that as I viewed the rather long graphic which, by the way has a height 7,341 pixels and a width 600 pixels, is that there was not one single person of color represented in the graphic.

Maybe as a NY Knick fan I’ve gone Lin-Sane, but I didn’t see an Asian in the graphic. With the large number of writers in India, I didn’t see an Indian in the graphic. Neither did I see anyone in the image that looked like me.

The Flattening of the World

Being born and raised in America there was a period of time when all I though of was America and American things. The Internet has helped to change my view. Because of the Internet, everyone is just a Vandana Shiva, Scholar and Environmentalistmouse-click away.

There was a time here on NJFM when I reviewed various writing opportunities. I quickly found that most of my opportunities were for American writers. After writing a few reviews, I realized I was leaving most of the world out. As a result, I changed my criteria when reviewing writing sites to include information on whether or not the gigs were open to non-American writers.

For me to ignore that piece of the world would be short sighted. Yes, No Job for Mom is written from the point of view of an American because that’s what I am, but I do try to consider non-American writers when writing about online opportunities.

It seems that Infolinks needs to consider the multi-cultural nature of the world when putting together graphics outlining steps for LIttle Bill and Familybecoming a blogger.

Not an Incendiary Post

I do not write incendiary posts and this is not an open forum for racist remarks. Any comments written in that flavor will be deleted. The reason why I wrote this post is because, as Maya Angelou says, “When you know better, you do better.”

And yes, I sent an email to Infolinks congratulating them on the attractive graphic and suggested that in the future they should include people of color.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Tammy March 5, 2012, 3:45 am

Hey Felicia,
    This is Tammy from Infolinks. First of all, thank you so much for your encouraging words. Secondly, I also really appreciate your constructive criticism. We have publishers from all backgrounds and ethnicities here at Infolinks, and in no way to we want to alienate anyone. You raised an important issue Felicia, and we appreciate it :)

Happy blogging,

Tammy

• Felicia March 5, 2012, 7:22 am

Tammy, I’m glad you took my comments the way in which they were intended. I’m also happy that Infolinks will consider the multi-cultural nature of the internet in future images.

Thanks for your comment.

• Joni March 2, 2012, 9:04 pm

I’ll check into it. thanks.

• Joni March 2, 2012, 9:43 am

Thank you for bringing that up. I hope that as people learn and grow they will see the country as the diverse nation that we are. Many times, I have asked how we can work through racial problems or questions if we are afraid to bring the subject up. Many responsible people can discuss the subject without getting into name calling, etc. Good for you Felicia.
    Joni (btw I am a white female, age 57..I cannot get my pic to upload on NFJM)

• Felicia March 2, 2012, 11:17 am

Joni, do you have your gravatar set up? Once you’ve set that up, your photo should show (unless you’ve done it already and there’s a glitch here at NJFM).

• Kathy March 2, 2012, 4:50 am

Felicia I applaud you for even bringing up the issue, aware that it could leave you open to racist remarks. It seems ridiculous that this type of post could be considered incendiary – true, but still ridiculous.

• Ken Muise March 1, 2012, 10:06 pm

Funny this should be brought up. As a an Army Master Trainer team we are often responsible for setting up training conferences and briefs that have a diverse attendance of rank and race. We ALWAYS ensure that when we “brand” the area with Army stuff, (i.e. wall hangings, standups, etc) we are ALWAYS cognizant in mixing in portrayals of the different races and ranks (officer vs. enlisted).

It just comes down to responsibility and respect.

• Samantha March 1, 2012, 2:22 pm

Nice catch! I did notice the very male perspective of the graphic artist that made the graphic evident by the obese woman who’s interested in food and the red head who appears first with the pens_island remark and then again with a vertically disproportionate chest.

I really like the concept of an Infographic and I’d love to learn how to create one, and while this one looked polished and cool it does have that insensitive male factor going on.

Thanks for bringing visibility to the lack of diversity in it – that’s a good reminder for me in my work too.

• Crystal March 1, 2012, 10:46 am

Too cute and funny, but you’re right, no diversity. They did include a redhead, though…does that count for anything? Nice to see you back, Felicia – hope all is well in your world.:)

• Felicia March 1, 2012, 11:48 am

LOL. I guess I should give them credit for the redhead.

All is fine here. No sense in complaining. :)