Strength when Facing Adversity

| February 29, 2012

AdversityOne of the positive features of owning No Job for Mom is that I’ve come across a nice group of people. I’ve received comments from readers about how I’ve inspired them. What they don’t realize is that I get just as much inspiration from my readers.

I was recently very inspired by a community member who stops by here on occasion. I’m talking about Ken over at Blogging for Dads. Ken has had the unspeakable happened to him. Google decided to shut down his AdSense account. Not only did they shut down the account, but they did not offer a plausible explanation.

An Honest Guy

Me knowing Ken the way that I do, I’d put my reputation on the line by saying that he’s not the type of guy that would do anything to violate his AdSense earnings. There’s no way that he would’ve jeopardized his account by clicking on his own ads.Blogging for Dads

After appealing the suspension, Google stood firm. Apparently someone somewhere had engaged in suspicious click activity that caused Google to look at his account. That activity is what got his account suspended.

What Ken Did Next

Just like the rest of us, I’m sure Ken had a momentary pity party. Well, I’m not sure “pity party” is Ken’s style. He probably had a “kick ass” party. But unfortunately since Google’s ass was nowhere to be found, I’m sure he decided to spend his time in a more productive manner.

Instead of moping, he took action. First he removed the AdSense ads and sought other advertising options. Then, to generate more income he came up with a different idea and created a new website, Blog Builders, where he offers his web creation talents.

Ken understands how easy it is to make money with AdSense and how much harder he will have to work since AdSense is no longer an option. However, if anyone can make his new venture a success, I am sure Ken can.Blog Builders

A Source of Motivation

I look at this situation and am not only motivated but am encouraged to continue trying new ventures and new ways to make money.

As most of us here in the NJFM community know, Google AdSense is very nice but it is not reliable. Using it as a sole source of income, or even a major source of income can be a painful mistake.

I wish Ken all the best and if anyone needs a website created, check out his new blog. He’ll treat you right.

BTW, if you do use his services, tell him I sent you. 😉

Tags: , ,

Category: Motivation

1. Trent Adams says:

This blew me away. Inspiring to see Ken moving on after such a devastating and unwarranted loss. After reading this I mused about how to diversify even more.

Yesterday I ran across an article on protecting a Google Adsense account by monitoring click activity. It looks like it’s worth a try:

I don’t know these writers, and I’m not vouching for their information. The thing that struck me about the story in the second link is that she reports having her appeal to Google turned down — and then got her account back a few weeks later. I can’t help wondering if an article she wrote about losing her account may have been a factor.

Felicia — Feel free to remove this if you don’t think it’s appropriate. I just can’t stand the idea of not having any way to prevent losing Adsense, and this looks like an option for detecting and reporting suspicious click activity to reduce the risk.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and inspiration. Some days, I really am living the dream. Your work here matters.
    Trent Adams recently posted…Nefertiti: From Queen to PharoahMy Profile

Trent, I normally don’t keep links in comments, but I thought these were worth a looksee. With the recent flurry of AdSense accounts being disabled, these articles might be helpful and encouraging.

Thanks for the find.

2. Lianne-carla Savage says:

It is so important to have multiple income streams especially in times like these. Good Luck to Ken
    Lianne-carla Savage recently posted…20 Reasons why being a work at home mum rocksMy Profile

3. Ken Muise says:

I can remember reading Felicia’s posts over the last year and how she kept hammering home to diversify…albeit because of Panda, but I just kept saying…”naaah”

LOL…this kicked me into gear but what I should have done was listen to the wise sage…
    Ken Muise recently posted…Authority Site Earnings For February 2012, “The After”My Profile

Diversification is easy to say but not always easy to do. Sometimes we get into the habit of working harder at what works instead of seeking alternative revenue streams.

Although I’ve always sought alternative streams, I didn’t put quite enough effort into them. I’m refocusing my energies in order to nurture my alternative revenue streams. Guess I had better take my own advice! 🙂

Although I don’t have any AdSense earnings to be concerned over, I do have a couple of blogger blogs and am thinking maybe I should move them. Seems like a horrendous job and I currently don’t have the know-how to do so but I do have unlimited hosting with HostGator so at least that’s covered. I am way more comfortable with the blogger interface but what’s to say the big G won’t shut them down on a whim? Has this happened to anyone?
    Crystal recently posted…Easing Financial Stress in a Tight EconomyMy Profile

Crystal, Google has shut down a few blogger blogs but so far it’s never happened to me. Somewhere here on NJFM I believe I wrote about transferring from Blogger to WordPress, but I’m not sure if I have a step-by-step how to.

I’ve also read somewhere on the Internet that folks should be careful of old, long-forgotten Blogger blogs. As Google updates its terms and conditions, some of the older blogs might be in violation of the updated terms. As a result it can cause account suspension. I don’t remember where I read that, but it gave me something to think about.

I went back to my older, non-transferred blogger blogs and removed AdSense from them. As a matter of fact, it’s probably easier to remove them from the “approved blogs” list in your AdSense account. This way you won’t run into problems with violating old terms and conditions.

5. Grandma says:

If you have not been over to Suite 101 lately, you might not be aware that many (about 200) of the “old writers” have a Facebook page going.

It is quite nice so far, many, many good tips and you can ask the group anything under the sun. Anyone can join, not just old Suite writers. It was started by Helen Krassner, who was “fired” by Suite recently because she posted part of an email from admin on the FB page that basically scolded her for complaining on the Suite forum.

I am pretty sure you can find answers to locating new resources for income in that group. Many have new websites, blogs and ebooks that they are discussing also.

6. Deanna says:

Sorry to hear about Ken’s trouble with Google. I certainly know how he feels because a few months ago Google did the same thing to me at Write Moms and I lost my adsense account and all the money I’d made up to that point. I appealed – they stood firm. I guess it is very typical for Google to use the “click fraud” excuse for closing down accounts. I’m glad to hear that Ken turned his misfortune around and is finding new ways to bring in income. After everything Google did to me, I decided it was time for to change directions and I am so glad I did.

My advice to everyone who uses Google as their main source of income is to diversify and find other income sources for your blogs so you aren’t left high and dry if Google decides to shut you down. I wish Ken luck in his new venture.
    Deanna recently posted…My KDP Select Experiment Day 3My Profile

Deanna, your experience and Ken’s experience has me actively investigating a few other options/ideas that I had sitting on the back burner. Time to take them from the back and bring them to the forefront.

Thanks for the reminder.

7. Joni says:

I wish you well after Goggle also Ken. That totally sucks!!! There are many mean and jealous people out there. I can see someone being jealous of your success and doing that. I have read several “jealous” posts on another blog. It seems when a blogger starts making money and being well known the green eyes come out. I am so happy when others succeed (it gives me hope) and rejoice with them.
    For various reasons my blog and writing are on hold but when I am able to return I will definitely check out your site…I will need help.
    Take care,
    Joni

8. Ken Muise says:

OMG, holy crap and sweet radishes! Talk about almost bring a guy to tears in front of a room full of Soldiers!

Felicia, thanks for posting this and showing people that, while Adsense is sweet, it’s not the only option. And thank you sooo much for the nice things you said about me!

To everyone else that commented with “well wishes” thanks to you too!

I don’t even know what else to write…I’m still pretty emotional about this right now.

Wow…
    Ken Muise recently posted…Life Without Adsense: How I Monetized My BlogMy Profile

9. Loretta says:

Felicia, not only do you inspire your readers, but as you often reveal, you are empathetic, as well. What happened to Ken, relative to AdSense, is just one more reminder that we encounter just as many mean-spirited people online as we do offline; and on the otherhand — sometimes when we consider the source of our problem we find that we have come full circle. Meaning, that in today’s dishonest climate, who is to say which companies are exempt from developing creative scams to avoid paying their customers?
    It is good to know that Ken did not let a temporary set-back deter him. I like his new blog and I hope things will continue to work out for him.
    Loretta recently posted…The Winds of Change: A Boomer vs. TechnologyMy Profile

You’re right, Loretta. It’s not limited to the online world. We all have to be careful and place our eggs in a number of baskets.

10. That is terrible. I don’t understand why Google couldn’t simply block a particular ip address if that is the case. Too bad for Ken, but kudos for his response.
    cashflowmantra recently posted…How to Make $1000 Per Month Selling Covered CallsMy Profile

You have a point there, Cashflow. I guess from Google’s point of view, they have so many account holders that they don’t mind getting rid of one.

Ken is resilient. After a bit of hard work, he’s going to do very well.

I also am inspired by Ken’s response. Talk about making lemonade when life hands you lemons! I checked out his Blog Builders site – what a sweet deal! Way to go, Ken!
    Crystal recently posted…Read Memories for FREE!My Profile

12. Samantha says:

I wonder if there’s something going on at G. I’ve been hearing more and more stories like this recently in different forums. I wish Ken a lot of luck and I’d be interested to hear about how’s he’s doing as he rebuilds his approach.
    Samantha recently posted…On faith…My Profile

13. Grandma says:

Eventually people will stop using AdSense if that keeps up.

Try some affiliate ads. Commission Junction, LinkShare, Kolimbo (they may have changed their name..I don’t remember and have not looked for awhile…way overdue)

Put up your own resale block and list things you might otherwise have put on eBay or Craigslist…

sell your own ebooks on your own website…

…just a couple ideas.

This “all eggs in one basket” is not a good idea; for anything, including freelance writing. It pays to spread the wealth of talent around just in case you lose a source.

Live and learn….oh, I am full of all that “old sayings” stuff…getting too darn old myself! Good luck all.

• L.M. says:

It has actually been going on for YEARS but people still use them. It seems that the almighty Google always comes out on top…..

14. Chaos Mandy says:

The same thing happened with my best friend’s blog. She wasn’t blogging to make money but just stuck the adsense on there in hopes of making a little.

Someone went click-happy on her ads and she saw a big increase in her earnings. Google shut down her adsense account and pretty much ignored her appeal.

After that happened, I’ve been thinking about switching to something other than adsense for my blog. But I haven’t had any issues and I’m still very far away from getting a payout so I haven’t done anything yet.
    Chaos Mandy recently posted…Sleeping On Her Own!My Profile

Sorry to hear about your friend. There are quite a few horror stories about suspended AdSense accounts. It further underlines the need to diversify.

• L.M. says:

Of the many Adsense horror stories online, quite a few people actually have this happen to them JUST as they are making their first $100 payout.

They never do see that $100 that they waited anxiously for because Google refuses to pay it out.

A lot of the other scenarios are people who finally reach that $100 mark unscathed and then start making even more and JUST as they are actually making a good living or even part-time income from it……Google pulls the rug out from under them.

They think EVERYONE is a crook out to scam them and while I’m sure there are a few who do scam……it seems to me the biggest scammer is Google themselves. Just think about all the money that they have not paid out to people under the guise of “fraud”.

I still have my account, but I no longer use it. I use Infolinks and affiliate marketing. I just don’t want to play Google’s games and now with their new “privacy” policy I have been deleting accounts with them anyway.

• L.M. says:

Oh yeah, and I realize that Google supposedly pays the money back to the advertisers.

How do we really know this for sure though? None of us can audit them and see for sure that every penny of every disabled account was paid back to the advertisers and not just kept by Google.

At this point, I don’t trust them at all.

You’re right, no one but Google knows. But, AdSense can be a sweet deal if everything goes right. The problem is you never know if or when when the rug could be pulled from under you.