Exceeding Minimum Wage

| November 21, 2011

Minimum Wage photo by wmraulI finally did it! I earn more than the minimum wage!

I haven’t taken a leave of my senses. I’m excited because a long time ago (March 8, 2010) I mentioned that I wanted to earn minimum wage. Although I haven’t met the goal as outlined in my earlier post, I’m on my way.

While playing around with numbers the other day I realized that last year my daily residual earnings averaged $62.69 a day. In general, I work (if you really want to call what I do work), 4 to 5 hours a day 5 days a week, except in the summer when I work 4 to 5 hours a week if at all.The Residual Earnings Happy Dance

Let’s say I put in a 25-hour workweek. At a rate of $62.69 a day, 7 days a week, that’s $438.83 a week. Divide the weekly rate by 25 hours and you get…drum roll please…$17.55 per hour. Eeeyowzaaa!

Since minimum wage, as of this writing, is $7.25 an hour, I could conceivably put in a full 40-hour week and still earn more than minimum wage.

The Kicker!

Notice that I quote my earnings for last year. Since this year isn’t complete yet, I won’t use this year’s figures. If you take a look at my October earnings graph, you’ll see that this year’s daily residual earnings exceed last year’s.

Quitters & Naysayers and Everyone Else

For the quitters, I’m glad I didn’t follow you when you gave up. To the naysayers, I’m so glad I didn’t listen. To everyone else, don’t quit or listen to the naysayers. If I can do it, you can too!

Oh, did I mention that I’m only talking about residual earnings? 😉

If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up for NJFM’s Motivation for Writers Newsletter.
A dose of motivation will be sent to your inbox every Monday.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Residual Income

1. Christina Hopkin says:

You are worth what you think you are worth so let’s say you say you are worth $5 well that’s your value, if you say you are worth $500 , well that’s your value.

law of attraction FTW
    Christina Hopkin recently posted…JCP Printable CouponsMy Profile

2. Cheryl Mitchell Welch says:

I am looking forward to establishing financial and writing goals, as well as, meeting new people with similar interest. I am beginning my journey and appreciate the shared advice and inspirations I have found thus far. I look forward to developing my craft and sharing my ideas along the way. Thanks you for sharing!

• Shelley says:

Hi Cheryl,

Are you blogging your journey, by any chance? It’s a great way to see your own progress as well as share with others. Would you mind visiting mine?

Shelley

3. Buck James says:

You are definitely an inspiration. I have been following your blog for a while and it was what helped me get into freelance writing. I was able to quit my job and focus solely on doing what I love because of your blog.

I am now getting into blogging and hopefully I get the hang of residual earnings soon.

Thanks a bunch!
    Buck James recently posted…Amurka’s Truly Heroic CongressMy Profile

4. Sharla says:

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time and I have found it so helpful. You were one of the people who encouraged me not to give up. Even though after more than a year at this, I am still not making anywhere near minimum wage or even enough for a coffee a week, I have learned a lot and have now branched out. Because I stuck with writing and didn’t give up and continued to research ways to make money online that worked for me, I wrote a book (currently being published and will be in stores in a few weeks) and I am launching an eBook that I wrote this Monday and copies are already beginning to sell. I really don’t believe I would have done either of those things had I given up. Thank you for your honesty and encouragement.
    Sharla recently posted…Army Theme Birthday PartyMy Profile

Awesome, Sharla! I’m so happy to hear about your success and your tenacity. There’s something to be said for sticking with it.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to copy and paste your comment to the “Success Stories” on my personal blog. I haven’t quite figured out what to do with my personal blog as yet, but I’d love to add your story.

5. CNW says:

Wow, honestly, I never saw it from the perspective of earning minimum wage. A lot of the “gurus” shout about their six-figure incomes, and I foolishly bought one of the books thinking I could make a six-figure income (everyone gets duped sometime), visiting his blog every day and generating more and more traffic. Silly me.

Taking smaller, manageable goals is the better strategy. I know I can’t make that yet because I’m finding my way, but the idea of making a reasonable goal is a goldmine. Thanks.

6. Bill Swan says:

On another aspect you could also say you topped the content mill earnings as well. Since the average Demand Studios writer, and maybe even the average Bright Hub writer, makes roughly $15 or $16 per hour if they wrote one approved article per hour, you outpaced them now as well. And you are earning continuous income.

This makes writers like you and Ken Crawford outright proof that those who say Demand is one of the best constant paying content gigs are, well – dead wrong.

You are also proof that there is life after the great Google Panda and you can make a living in spite of the beast.
    Bill Swan recently posted…The New Old Rules on Promoting YourselfMy Profile

7. Congratulations. I hope that the following facts aren’t lost on your readers:
    1. Your success represents several years of working without any significant reward. Delayed gratification at its best.
    2. The seeds that were planted one year ago are still bearing fruit. A real life example of compound interest (effort in this case).
    cashflowmantra recently posted…How to Save Big Money on Black FridayMy Profile

8. Tashana says:

Felicia you truly keep the rest of us inspired. I’m sitting here wondering why I’m so gosh darn lazy about writing and all I have surmised is that I am afraid of — dare I say it — success. So when these whimsical feelings overwhelm me, I always look to your blog for encouragement, and you haven’t failed me yet.

Thanks again for being so open and forthright with your successes; If you can do it, then I can not be too far behind :-).

• ShelleyD says:

Tashana,
      I know exactly how you feel. Finding Felicia was the best thing that happened to get me motivated. Fear is a major factor, but much of it stems from not knowing what to do or where to go to do it, (The reason I started my own blog).

For some reason, getting Adsense is intimidating to me. I came on a site that showed exactly how to go about it, but now I can’t find it in my bookmarks.

Anyway, keep coming back to Felicia until you feel the air under your wings (song?) and you will get lift!

You guys are making my head swell! 🙂

Shelly, I suggest that you sign up for AdSense and play around with an ad or two. Once you start playing around in it, you’ll feel more comfortable.

There are so many features to AdSense that I don’t understand yet and I’ve been with them for years. I find what works and work it until I “discover” something else. Take your time and work at your own pace.

And Tashana, I think I have a post on here about doing it afraid. I’ve got some fears too, but I learn to carry them along with me. When my fears realize they won’t stop me, they eventually go away.

• Tashana says:

OMG Shelley, while your fear is nothing knowing what to do, mine stems from knowing too much of what to do . I have so much information swimming around in my head that I don’t know from whence pool to pick.

And your Adsense confusion, join the club. It is so much to weed through, but ultimately worth it in the end. I toyed with Adsense on one of my sites and I was actually very surprised at the audience it pulled. It was only a few cents, but I know if my lil pal ‘fear’ didn’t squeeze his head through the door, I’d probably be making more lol…

Tashana, sounds like you’re suffering from information overload.

I used to work with a guy who loved to hear himself explain things. When he was through I was sooooo confused. I later learned to tune him out and make my own mistakes.

Sound like you have my old co-worker inside of your head, Tashana. You need to shut him up and get to making some mistakes.

• Tashana says:

You know Felicia, you are so right. The other day I started writing and I promised myself that I would just write, shut it down, and then come back to it the next day.

The first draft was rough, and when approaching it with new eyes I actually felt refreshed. I know I need to do that more often.

What is that saying about when a behavior becomes a habit? Something like 6 weeks of doing something and it becomes a habit – or something like that.

So, that’s what I’m working on. I want to be one of those “I have to get this written or else” type of writers. I’m like that with teaching, and working, just not with writing.

I am definitely etching your feedback into my psyche. Thanks again.

I hear ya, Tashana. Stick with it. I’m trying to bring my writing ethic over to my workouts. I find too many excuses not to run or go to the gym and I really don’t have an excuse.

Like you, I want to be one of those “I have to workout or else” type of folks. 🙂

9. Ken Muise says:

Another awesome post! By the way, I got my first dose of motivational email this morning at 3 AM and laughed out loud at the thought of word “poo”. That email did exactly what it was supposed to do! Thanks.
    Ken Muise recently posted…Passive Income Ideas For Working Dads And MomsMy Profile

LOL! I originally had “poo poo” and my daughter read it. She looked at me the way only a teen can look at a parent and said, “Poo poo. Really Mom!” So I took one poo out. LOL!

• ShelleyD says:

I just visited your site-nice! Your posts are so helpful to those of us trying to find our way. I’m always amazed to find new places to write just by reading the comments of others. BTW..Tiffany Dow is great for giving tutorials on Squidoo. There may be others, but I only know of her. Sadly, I haven’t done one, yet. Oh, I subscribed to your site, too.
      ShelleyD recently posted…Start SimpleMy Profile

You are an inspiration, Felicia! And your stick-to-it attitude reminds me of an old post I just ran across on Cal Newport’s blog about the Steve Martin method of success. He says, “Martin credits “diligence” for his success. But he’s quick to clarify that he’s not referring to working hard over time. What he really means is staying diligent in his interest in the one field he was trying to master . . .” Well, you are living proof that diligence does indeed lead to success. Congratulations on surpassing yet another residual earnings goal.
    Crystal recently posted…Live to Be 100: Should You Take Baby Aspirin Every Day?My Profile