October Earnings

| November 17, 2011 | 12 Comments

October 2011 EarningsI don’t think I discussed my earnings in a while. They haven’t been too impressive, but I’ll share them with you anyway.

October was an interesting month. I’ve been a little frustrated because my earnings have been hovering a couple of hundred dollars lower than my best month.

My best residual month was March 2011, just before Panda hit the first time. In March my earnings were $2,799. Since then, I’ve had a drop and a steady increase and then a plateau followed by a bit of a decrease. October’s earnings were $2,591.

October 2011 Earnings

All in all that’s not bad, but I got into this online writing and residual stuff for increased earnings, not decreased. If I wanted my earnings to decrease I could have gone back to the traditional job market.

Frustration Spurs Action

You guys know that I’ve been brain storming and coming up with a host of new ideas of things to try. I could try to do more of what I have done over the past few years, but I don’t want to work harder for the same results. Besides, I’ve grown bored with what I had been doing. It’s time to switch gears.

I’ve been working online long enough to know better than to expect immediate results. I’m doing a lot of research, learning and seed planting. The best part about switching gears is that I’m excited about writing again. I had lost my Mojo for a while but I believe it’s back with a vengeance.

How was your October?

If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up for NJFM’s Motivation for Writers Newsletter.
A dose of motivation will be sent to your inbox every Monday.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Residual Income

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Suzanne Grey says:

In every financial crisis, it is suggested we save for the rainy days.

2. Rahul says:

Thats is great, I am working hard. I hope i will steadily increase. I don’t want any negative trends whether how many panda come and go.

3. Tiffany says:

My October was good but that was because I have a few Halloween sites that made pretty good money. So far Novmeber is starting off really, really slow. I’m hoping people start buying more stuff soon 🙂

I also have some ways that I plan on increasing my income but they definitely aren’t as passive as putting up a site and earnign money from it, but I am still looking forward to taking on new things. I’m already thinking of my goals and business plans for 2012 and getting started on them (can you believe it’s going to be 2012 soon?)

I’m with you, Tiffany. 2012 is coming just a bit too soon for me. I’m still working on finishing what I started in 2011. 🙂

I think 2012 is going to be a good year for us all. After all, we survived two Panda attacks in 2011. We’re a lot tougher now.

4. Edward G Gordon says:

Hi Felicia, once again a nice inspirational boost for those of us still standing at the foot of the proverbial ladder.

As for October – well I’m still in the middle of writing my first book so…only time will tell. I’ve been lax with my own site and have not written any fresh posts in several months. The truth is I got a bit disheartened after I lost/deleted the last two years worth of article posts.

But I always feel better after dropping in on you so who knows maybe in the next few weeks I might get some real work done.

In the meantime keep up the good work.

Edward, I remember when that happened to you. Shortly after that happened to you I thought the same thing happened to me. I went to my site and everything was gone.

Fortunately, after reading about your mishap I backed up my sites only to find that my hosting company was upgrading the servers and were in the middle of transferring the sites to the new servers.

I now make it a habit of performing regular backups…speaking of backups. I need to do one this weekend. I’d do it today but my electric company is working on a transformer and the power is intermittent.

Hopefully I can respond to your comment before the power goes out and I lose my internet connection again.

5. Looking great, Felicia! I’m at a very low point earnings-wise (down more than $4,000 from my highest months) but the outlook is good and I look forward to being back up where you are!

6. Terr says:

Thanks for sharing the ups and the downs of your online ventures. It might be tempting to want to always report that you’re rocking and rolling, but you know what? It’s helpful for personalities like mine to know about the dips and the drops. It shows the reality of the situation.

So many times when I have inquired about job positions or opportunities, people want to tell me what the highest earner makes, with regards to earning potential. But it always turns out that maybe a few of the “chosen” people in an organization make the top tier money. Everyone else is struggling. The recruiters aren’t going to share that, because they would lose applicants.

I appreciate the real scoop. I don’t need for someone to blow up my mind with illusions of grandeur, when there are going to be bad days and bad months. What I need to to learn is how to overcome those rainy days and rainy seasons. I need to see examples of perseverance. I need to see how someone has decided to take responsibility for their situation by brainstorming and getting creative.

So having said all of this, thank you for your candor and transparency.

7. Dawn says:

Hi Felicia!

I want to thank you for sharing your graph of daily earnings. it made me feel a little better that everyone starts out slow!

As far as your drop: I honestly do not see that lasting very long for you. Not with the amount of brainstorming and self-educating you’ve been doing. Learning takes time that would otherwise be spent working. The Internet is an ever evolving place, thus it makes sense to switch gears. A little bump in the earnings road CAN be overcome – you’ve proven that yourself!

I realize you have published several e-books, but have you done Kindle articles?

As always, I look forward to your thoughts on things!

Since I’m still working on Kindle-izing my second book, I’ll wait until I’m done before I write too many Kindle posts. The first book was easy to Kindle-ize because when I originally wrote it, I used a different format when using Open Office. This second go ’round I opted for a different method which in the long run makes it just a bit more tedious when converting it to Kindle format.

Once I’m done, I’ll share the entire long, drawn out and boring story. 🙂

8. Good to hear that you have your mojo back. My October wasn’t all that great. It was one of my worst AdSense months ever in over 2 years. That being said, I think I will be doing better with a different approach.

Sorry to hear October wasn’t so good for you. Your positive attitude is encouraging. We always have the option to sit and complain or observe and make changes. I see which choice you made. I’ll be interested to see how you turn things around.