The Learning Never Stops

| November 16, 2011

Earning with DoubleClick for PublishersI’m currently knee-deep in a ton of projects. Actually it’s more like neck deep, and I’m a pretty tall gal. That means there are lots of layers of projects keeping me busy.

Anyway, between learning more about consolidating blogs, formatting ebooks for a professional look, formatting books for Kindle and PubIt, I’m also learning quite a bit about newsletters, email lists and Aweber features (not to mention that my brainstorming sessions are never ceasing).

On top of that, I recently came across an ad management tool. This tool, DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) Small Business is an answer to a growing problem that I seem to be having. You see, increasingly I’m receiving requests to advertise on my blogs/websites. The requests are emails that go something like this:

I’ve recently come across your site and am impressed with the content (they never tell me which site). I have a client who is interested or I am interested in advertising on your site (sometimes it’s a link within the content or a link on the home page).

My client/I have a budget of $XX and would be interested in arranging an advertising partnership.

That’s not the exact text of the emails I’ve been receiving but you get the gist of it. The emails have been coming with increasing frequency, which is good (I guess). The problem is I don’t know how to or want to spend the time with managing ads. That’s why I use Google AdSense. Set it and forget it.

Enter DoubleClick for Publishers

In reading the Inside AdSense blog, there was a recent post entitled Ad Serving Explained. Not that I was interested on how ads were displayed, but the DoubleClick video caught my attention. Check it out for yourself.

The best part of the whole deal is that sign up is free. So, I immediately signed up and realized, “Whoa, I’ve got a lot to learn.” I have no problem with learning, but for some reason I’m in an obsessive learning phase in my freelance writing career. If I could boil everything down into liquid form to drink it or vaporize it to inhale it, I’d be ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately, drinking or inhaling isn’t an option so tacked onto the rest of the things I’m learning, I’ve got to learn how to utilize DoubleClick for Publishers to get the most bang for my buck.

Although this current learning phase seems a little overwhelming, I fully expect that it will pay off in the end. A year from now when I’ve mastered these tools, I’ll be glad that I took the time to grow.

Speaking of growth, what have you been learning lately?

Tags: , , ,

Category: AdSense, Advertising, DoubleClick for Publishers, Earning Money

1. Dianne says:

I’ve started a new blog, so now I have 3. I’m in the process of learning how to balance the three of them since the content matter is completely different.
    Dianne recently posted…My Favorite Outfits from ELLE’s "Big Style on Campus"My Profile

2. Michael says:

Thank you for this post. I had heard about DoubleClick vaguely here and there but wasn’t entirely sure what it did. This has answered my question and I think I will try it.

I hope you will write some posts sometime soon about “formatting ebooks for a professional look, formatting books for Kindle and PubIt” because those are things I am interested in as well and don’t know a lot about at this point.
    Michael recently posted…Freelance Work Online – Alternatives to Demand StudiosMy Profile

Of course, Michael. I’ll share my trials and tribulations with reformatting for Kindle and PubIt (I haven’t tackled PubIt yet).

I’ll also go into more detail about how I formatted my ebooks in the near future. As a matter of fact, it might be the first series in my “Writing for the Internet” newsletter (which is in the works).

3. Deanna says:

Just like you, I am delving into new territory and learning a lot of new things about publishing and advertising. I think it is always a good sign when you want to move forward, grow and try new venues. It looks like you are finding the perfect fit for you. And the best part is you are sharing all this information with the rest of us! I really like the new cover of you book – it looks very professional. I think it reaches out to people more than the old cover did. I also like the information about DFP – it really is something to think seriously about. Thanks for sharing – again! 🙂
    Deanna recently posted…My Books Now Available in eBook FormatMy Profile

4. Maintaining an open mind and willingness to learn is vital to keeping up with the world around you. Although I am willing to learn, I also know that there are some tasks worth outsourcing as my time is somewhat limited and valuable as well. I have done that with some of my advertising and find that I am doing much better than I would on my own.
    cashflowmantra recently posted…Leveraged ETFs and the Constant Leverage TrapMy Profile

5. Grandma says:

I don’t see all that much of a problem with the cover the way it is. The main thing that pops out is “Blogging for Beginners”. The “NJFM” almost disappears (even though it is big caps) and people that do not know what it means may think it is an author’s initials or something like that.

Now, having “NJFM” at the beginning may stick it down the list in an alphabetical listing, true. Better to have “Blogging for Beginners” first or even alone. You could add “NJFM” below it or in a line with something else like a subtitle.

I’ve got a few ideas rolling around in my head. The actual book cover spells out No Job for Mom. I couldn’t fit it all in on the small image so I put NJFM.

Ideas are still percolating.

6. Loretta says:

Hello Felicia. To your closing question “What have I been learning lately?” My answer is — very much from you. Aside from your NJFM site, I have one other realiable source who is teaching me all I ever wanted to know about blogging – and then some more.

By the way, congrats on your book, “Blogging for Beginners.” Although I no longer consider myself a beginner, once I started “devouring” the pages of your book and digesting the knowledge that you so freely share with us, I realized that I am still teetering on the edge of novice and intermediate. God speed to you, lady, keep doing what you do so well.
    Loretta recently posted…A Boomer’s Introspection on The PurposeMy Profile

Loretta, thanks for the encouragement and thanks for buying the book. Speaking of the book, I learned something else. I realize that my style in sharing information is great for the inside of the book, but not so cool as a book cover.

While driving home from the grocery store last night it hit me. Not only do I have the wrong title for the book, but also the cover is all wrong. Only the folks in the No Job for Mom community know who No Job for Mom is so why would anyone else buy a NJFM book? Plus, if you’re not familiar with the blog, the name No Job for Mom can mean a whole lot of different things.

One person who reviewed my site mentioned that the title invoked a vision of a melancholy sad mom crying in a coffee because she didn’t have a job. Nothing could be further from the truth.

So, I had one of those kick in the butt revelations. It’s time for me to change the title and cover of the book. But, instead of just changing the title and the cover I decided to perform a sort of a split test. I’m still working on reformatting the book for Amazon so I can test it there.

The e-book, when it gets on Amazon, will have a different title and a different cover. The inside will remain the same. I’ll be able to see if a different cover/title makes much of a difference.

One of the other things that I’ve learned which I didn’t mention in this post is that everything is a learning experience. There’s very little that I regret about my online freelance writing career except not starting it earlier. Every mistake that I made has been a learning tool for future successes.

The ebook cover is yet another learning experience for me. Over the next few months I’ll continue the split testing. Once I find which way works the best, I’ll modify the book accordingly. Because the information in the book is pretty much timeless, taking a few extra months to make the best cover/title is insignificant. Three years from now the book will be available no matter which title or cover is attached to it.

Oops, I’m sorry. I’m having a cup of coffee and am obviously a little chatty. 🙂