I’m Back and on a Mission!

| November 1, 2011

Yo G - Where's the Cash?

There’s something to be said for adversity. Personally, I don’t like facing too much adversity at one time, but every time I do I come out on the other end stronger.

The power outage was an inconvenience and an experience to learn from. There were several action items I took away from the experience. I’ve taken care of two of the action items and currently working on the next 3.

Unexpected Adversity

During the power outage, as I was accessing WiFi and sipping my calorie laden latte at the Bad Ass coffee shop, I discovered a Google AdSense hiccup. Well, to me it’s more like a cough, but in the grand scheme of life, it’s a hiccup.

It appears there’s a glitch that is affecting some AdSense publishers. The glitch is preventing us from getting paid. According to their interface, the affected publishers earnings didn’t exceed the $100 threshold in September to warrant payment in October. It was worded as follows:

“Unpaid finalized earnings prior to October 1, 2011. A payment will not be issued this month. Your unpaid earnings prior to October 1, 2011 was calculated to be $0.00. Payments are issued within 30 days after the end of the month in which your unpaid earnings reach $100.00.”

In my case that’s untrue. My unpaid finalized earnings prior to October 1, 2011 was well in excess of $100.

Here We GoNo Earnings

So, here I am in the coffee shop with caffeine coursing through my veins realizing that my usual AdSense payment that I send to the mortgage company will not be coming in. I’ll have to dig into my pocket to pay my mortgage this month (bummer).

I later found a few forum threads on the Google AdSense forum from fellow publishers affected by this glitch. In that forum thread I found a link to report the problem. If you are affected by the glitch and haven’t reported it yet, here’s the link:

Google’s Response

I submitted the form and received the following response:

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I’m currently working as quickly as I can to investigate your concern and I’ll be sure to send you another email as soon as I have any more information. Thanks for your patience, and please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with in the meantime.

For additional payments related information, visit our Payments Guide at http://www.google.com/adsense_payments . You can also visit our Help Center at http://www.google.com/adsense_help for common questions and optimization tips.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

What Can I Do?

Until Google finds and fixes the problem, there’s not much I can do about it. It is annoying, but fortunately, I’m able to work around it. Kick in the PantsWhat this piece of adversity has done, however, is kick me in the pants (again). You see, Google kicked me in the pants with the first Panda when my income dropped by 50%.  In all honesty, Panda wasn’t fully responsible for the 50% drop.  A large portion of the drop was because eHow closed its WCP, but the Panda sure didn’t help.

I worked hard to get my income up to pre-Panda levels and then Panda two struck. As I analyze my numbers, my income took a minor hit with the second panda (about 1 or 2%), but it was a hit nonetheless.

I get it this time! You don’t have to hit me again; I get it. When a whole month’s worth of earnings (close to $1,800) is lost in the shuffle, it’s up to me to get into the cheese manufacturing mode. It’s time for me to create new cheese.

Going Forward

Now that my power is back on, and I’m able to continue working on the items I was near completing before the outage, I fully intend to devote 100% of my time on my new cheese. Well, maybe 95% of my time on the new cheese and 5% on some of the other online moneymaking ventures that I enjoy.

Having the income from Google is nice, but having 100% control over my financial future is nicer. Again, I must thank Google for the swift kick. They told me back in March to work on my own ventures, but I didn’t listen. I’m listening now.

This was delivered to my inbox this morning (how appropriate):

“I am grateful for all of my problems. After each one was overcome, I became stronger and more able to meet those that were still to come. I grew in all my difficulties.”
— J.C. Penney, businessman

11/2/2011 UPDATE: Update:  If you’re experiencing the same problem that I am (or one of the two other variations of the problem), here’s a link to an update: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdSense/thread?tid=17c610a849512e85&hl=en

Here’s another link to a forum post in which the person copied and pasted a response from the Google AdSense Team advising that there’s no guarantee the problem will be resolved prior to the next payment cycle.

So there you have it. No sense in holding your breath waiting for them to fix the problem this month.  It’s time to go to Plan B.

The Plot Thickens: Update Part 2

Apparently I’m being penalized because I had signed up for the Google Affiliate Network (GAN). I signed up quite some time ago and have earned a grand total of about $1.50 with it over a period of a year. I’m not very active in the network.

Active or not, it seems to be the culprit in not receiving my September earnings. There’s a glitch with the Google system for GAN publishers that is preventing earnings from displaying on the Payment Page and also prevents Google from issuing the earnings check. Big time bummer!

If you haven’t signed up for the Google Affiliate Network, don’t bother. That small commission of $1.50 is the reason for this holdup. Even worse, some publishers haven’t earned a dime in the Google Affiliate Network and are having the same problem as I am.

You can either learn by making a mistake or learn by someone else’s mistake.  Consider this a lesson. 🙂

Tags: , , , ,

Category: AdSense, Earning Money, Monetize

1. Lissie says:

Ouch – thanks for the heads up – I remember ignoring that offer to join something new on Adsense! It wouldn’t kill me, but its not a good time of the year for a late Adsense check.

And at least its just a technical problem- I was worried you’d been pandalized or worse!
    Lissie recently posted…An Apology – I Need To Come Clean – A C-List Blogger Is BornMy Profile

2. Kristine says:

I must admit this post terrified me. I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this. Not only do I make a huge chunk of my income from Adsense, but my family depends on it. You’ve given me a swift kick in the butt to get out there and find other income streams.
    Kristine recently posted…Is Content Really King?My Profile

Glad this got you thinking and moving, Kristine. Once you come up with alternative income streams, stick with it.

I have no one to blame but myself. If I had continued down the path I started back in March, this little snafu would almost go unnoticed. Well, not unnoticed, but it wouldn’t have as much of an impact.

3. Tiffany says:

That’s weird. I am part of the GAN and I got paid in October for Adsense. I haven’t made any comissions from GAN at this time so maybe that is the reason. Hopefully they get it sorted and you get your money soon 🙂
    Tiffany recently posted…If You Think Can’t… A Post on MindsetMy Profile

Tiffany, I guess Google is doing this to help me expand as a writer and a person. Actually, as silly as it sounds, its a good thing that this happened. They’re helping me to break the shackles of Google dependence.

I’m glad you weren’t affected by this mix up.

4. Michael says:

Was wondering if you could expound on the whole “new cheese” thing. Does that mean new sites? Ebooks? Something else altogether?
    Michael recently posted…Books For WritersMy Profile

My new cheese comes in a wide variety of flavors. Some things I can implement immediately and other things I’ve got to spend some time on self-development and learning. My recent brainstorming session came up with 31 ebook ideas and a host of other online writing projects.

The projects won’t involve creating a traditional online site. I’m kinda burnt out on creating sites/blogs. That’s why I’m going through the consolidation process and closing/redirecting a lot of my blogs. I feel it’s time for me to head in a new direction.

I feel like a seed at the moment. I’ve got to develop some roots before my projects can break ground.

5. Jen says:

I was really glad that I wasn’t hit with the Google problem this time. I am finally starting to see my Adsense earnings climb back up again!

6. That is incredibly interesting. I suppose that might help explain why my earnings for October were awfully low. If HubPages got hit by this mess, it could explain something. Oh well, I will keep working on my current venture since it seems to be working well at this point.
    cashflowmantra recently posted…Investing in the Dogs of the DowMy Profile

7. Ken says:

Okay…so the real question is this: Are Suite and the like, “smart” enough to identify and pay people what they are owed.

And…does Google have a plan to fix or the typical “we’re aware” bs answer?

Crap…

Ken, I truly believe everything will work out and I’ll get the monies owed. Here’s a link to Google’s “Known Issues” page. Apparently they know there’s a problem and are working on it.

It’s just a matter of time. Unfortunately, mortgage companies don’t like waiting for Google to get around to it so I’ve got to reach into my pocket until things are fixed.

8. Rosalia says:

Thank you for your effort for finding the google link to report a glitch. It is obvious that every website has some or the other problems and if we face problem in one website, instead of finding solution we search another website. But your post has given us a way to solving the problem with same website host.
    Rosalia recently posted…Los alimentos mas grasos del mundoMy Profile

Great attitude, Felicia – and glad to see you back! I especially appreciate your post today. I feel some rather significant adversity in another area of my life coming on (no, not health, family or anything actually that important – so maybe not so significant after all?) and your words (and those of JC Penney) were just what I needed to read. Plus, just writing this comment has placed it somewhat more into perspective:)
    Crystal recently posted…DIY Hair Donation UpdateMy Profile

We recently went through some real adversity (and I’m not talking about power outages or AdSense) and we realize that we are stronger and wiser from the experiences. I truly believe these types of events happen seasonally. We thought we were home free when we got through the first two events, but apparently we weren’t done yet.

You’re right, Crystal. I find writing about it makes things better. You get to see how big or trivial the problems really are.

10. Grandma says:

I am sure I want to get out of here now…LOL. Away from 2 grandkids, 2 foster kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, noise, no sleep, distractions, casinos, being taken advantage of by my own kids, etc., etc., etc. Will miss the sunny days but not the almost constant wind in OK.

11. Grandma says:

Better get yourself some cast iron pants! Over at Suite 101 people were complaining about no income and the tech response was that Google was updating their reporting system and at Suite the system did not know how to deal with newly formatted reports. Not sure if this is affecting other stuff but it might be.

Nice snow photo…and I am going up north next week for the winter…LOL Oops, I can still change my mind.

My Suite earnings are so small that I barely ever check them anymore.

The weather isn’t so bad right now. We’re in the 50’s. Just a lot of storm damage and a ton of folks without power. Are you sure you want to come north now?