Getting Used to Google’s New Interface

| September 28, 2011

New AdSense InterfaceSince receiving the e-mail from Google in which they advise that the old AdSense interface will soon be disabled  and the new one enhanced, I realized it was time for me to start getting warm and fuzzy with the new one.

As I clicked around the new interface I found that I had a few sites listed under my account that were not mine. Most of them are HubPages accounts of fellow Hubbers. Since creating a HubPages channel, it appears that I get more than I wanted. Granted, I only get the number of page views and not add clicks but that can be a little disconcerting.

HubPagesIf I have their page views, I’m sure other Hubbers have mine. Since I don’t make much money at all from HubPages it doesn’t bother me too much but if such things can happen with HubPages, what other info is being misdirected?

Another Weird Entry

I found a Blogspot blog listed under my Google AdSense. For the life of me I couldn’t understand why this particular blog was showing up as one of my sites. After visiting the site, I saw why. The person copied not only one of my articles, but the images too.

The article was an Ezine article that was free for the picking and the images were also free images selected from stock.xchng. The issue occurred because the person copying the page didn’t upload the images to his server. He linked directly to the images on my server so every time his page loaded it would search for the images on my server. This is a problem.

If several websites decided to do the same thing, it would place undue burden on my web host. After all, I’m paying my host to display my images, this other guy isn’t. Not wanting this to continue, I searched online to see how to stop this guy and anyone else from burdening my servers. In doing so I came across this post, How to Deter Image and Bandwith Theft on David Airey’s site.

By following David Airy’s directions, anyone hotlinking to images on my Tidbits and Stuff site will get this:

No Hotlinking HereA Side Note

I believe the image hotlinks occurred prior to my installing the CopyProtect plugin.  Since installing the plugin the incidence of plagiarism has decreased significantly.

Now to create images and implement the code on the rest of my sites. Sheesh. There’s always something to keep us busy!

Tags: , ,

Category: Blog, Google, Maintenance, Search Engines

1. Useful post. I haven’t tried the new Google interface yet, but I guess I will today. I hope the winds of your passion blow in this direction again soon.
    Gip
    Gip @ So Much More Life recently posted…Could You Manage With Half?My Profile

2. Ken says:

Wow…you know you really have a true, dedicated following when everyone is riding you about your posts here! LOL…good stuff.
    Ken recently posted…Blogging Fills Needs For Us Weirdos!My Profile

3. Tiffany says:

I just switched to the new interface last night and I’m still getting used to the whole thing. Not sure if I like it or it’s just because I’m not used to it.

Thanks for the link to the article on protecting your images. It will definitely come in handy!
    Tiffany recently posted…Recommended Reading – The Barefoot Executive Book by Carrie WilkersonMy Profile

4. Joni says:

Aauuuggghhh…something else I didn’t even know about that is causing problems…LOL. What would we do without you Felicia? This is a perfect example of how important you are to us.
    Take Care and follow your passion.
    Joni

5. Terr says:

The scary thing for me is that there are online problems that need to be resolved. However, how will how I know how to resolve these issues if I don’t know the questions to ask?

This blog helps. However, I wonder if there is a guide of sorts to help a newbie blogger or site owner to protect their work, and their bandwith.

Terr, protecting the bandwidth is a minor problem (at least in my experience). The bigger problem is protecting your work. Plagiarism is a way of life when it comes to writing online.

There are a few tools that help to slow plagiarists down, but the determined ones will always copy what they want. It’s sort of like anti-theft devices. Installing them help to deter some burglars, but there’s always one that enjoys the challenge.

I don’t focus so much on plagiarism unless it’s an “in my face” copy job. I try to spend my focus and time writing and earning money.

6. Woah! I don’t really earn a fortune from Google AdSense, but it can certainly pay for my birthday gift. 😉 Still – what you described is disconcerting. I’d better go take a look at my account.

By the way, am I imagining it or are you writing less frequently?
    Vidya Sury, Freelance Writer & Blogger recently posted…Can you balance life-situations?My Profile

Vidya, you’re right. I’ve been posting here on NJFM less frequently. However, my overall online writing for this month has increased. I’ve written more this month than I have in July and August combined (well almost). I’ve just been working on other passions and long forgotten blogs.

I’m not abandoning NJFM, it’s just that the winds of passion are blowing in a different direction these days.

7. Ken Muise says:

I guess we’re going to have to more clearly define the “48 hour rule”. LOL…thanks for the post. I follow your followers and learn and learn and learn and learn…
    Ken Muise recently posted…Dynamic Views Come To Blogger!My Profile

LOL. Ken, when I was a kid I had a huge problem learning how to tell time. I guess my old learning disability is resurfacing. Are you sure it’s been more than 48 hours? 🙂

8. I was totally clueless to this as well although I don’t think that I am paying separately for bandwidth. I do need to go take a look at the CopyProtect plugin, though. Right now, I have no good way of knowing what is being stolen.
    cashflowmantra recently posted…How to Get Started Investing in OptionsMy Profile

9. Diane says:

Thanks for this info. I just read David Airey’s article and copied the code into notepad. I also signed up for his RSS feed.

My biggest problem is with a site called allindiaforums.com. I’ve been trying to get them to take down articles for a long time, but never get a response. Maybe this will help.
    Diane recently posted…Discretely Help Others With Gift CardsMy Profile

10. Michael says:

Thanks for the heads up about the image and bandwith theft issue. I wasn’t aware that that was even possible. That’s why I keep coming back here to check for more information that I can’t find anywhere else. And you certainly are right, there is ALWAYS something to keep us busy.
    Michael recently posted…Demand Media Realizing Demand Deals Unpopularity?My Profile