I've earned well over $100,000 writing online. I share my writing philosophy, insider tips and lessons learned in my free Make Money Blogging book. What are you waiting for? Go and download it, it's free. You've got nothing to lose.

A Melancholy Observation

ObservationIn my hiatus from writing for money I was able to see which sites have been truly passive.

Currently, Suite 101 and Demand Studios revenue share fall under the truly passive category for me. I haven’t written an article for Suite since May 4, 2011 and my last revenue share for DMS was written on January 4, 2011.

When I look at my revenue share earnings, I can only reminisce about the Demand Studio “good ol’ days” when we were able to submit writer-generated titles. In hindsight, I wish I wrote at least 5 or 10 more of them.

Comparing the Two Sites

I have 270 articles on Suite and passively earned $126.81 in the month of August. With Demand Studios, I have 9 revenue share articles and earned $122.98. My 9 articles with Demand Studios brought in $3.83 less than my 270 Suite articles.

It just goes to show how crazy this whole Internet journey is. I can say for a fact that the quality of my Suite 101 articles is far superior to anything I’ve written for Demand Studios. It’s not that I didn’t write quality for DMS, it’s just the nature of a How to article. There are some concepts that don’t fit within the confines of the How to structure.

Not Isolated Results

The above results are not a fluke. If you own several blogs on a wide range of topics, I’m sure you’ll find the blogs that provide the most well-thought out grass roots information pale in earnings when compared to those that promote a popular product, service or concept (there are a few exceptions).

I could earn a lot more money with a blog that promotes diet pills than I would with one that instructs readers to eat healthy, drink water and get plenty of exercise. The pill promoting blog would probably get a lot of spam comments while the other would develop a loyal following of helpful community members.

Always a Balancing Act

There is one thing I’ve learned about writing online. It is a constant balancing act. You’ve got to write to the masses in order to keep a roof over your head, but you also have to write from the heart in order to keep your soul replenished. It appears that this gal has a bit more replenishing to do.

Photo by Marília Florêncio Santos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Demand StudiosFeaturedSuite 101

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (8)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Bill Swan says:

The funny thing is, the more the article provides a quick fix the more it is tried. This is even true when there is credible information that says the method is unreliable. Welcome to modern marketing.
    Bill Swan recently posted..If You Can’t Write, Write Something Else

2. Michael says:

Wait, you made over a hundred dollars with your Demand Studios revenue share articles and you only have nine of them? You’re talking about the ones you wrote through the studio, right? I seem to remember you writing through eHow itself but that you got the buyout.

Making that much off nine Demand Studios rev share articles seems darn near unheard of (except I’m hearing it now). That’s about ten times what I’ve heard anyone else report making.
    Michael recently posted..Freelance Work Online – Alternatives to Demand Studios

Michael, I’m sure there are other folks earning pretty well with their DMS revenue share articles. I haven’t roamed around the net to see how folks are doing, but the DMS revenue share seems to be taking on the same trajectory as the eHow articles did.

I really wish I had written a few more, but once the eHow buyout occurred, I didn’t want to build a large portfolio of articles through the DMS interface only to have them bought/removed.

• Michael says:

Certainly understandable. You seem to be doing just fine with your own sites anyway. That definitely seems to be where things are headed besides.

Anyway, color me impressed on those earnings.
        Michael recently posted..Books For Writers

3. Grandma says:

Oh my 90 articles on Suite 101 have now earned a whopping $5.17 so far in September. Compare to $54 for the last two weeks in Feb when I first started there, with only 50 articles. Hmmm…disappointment. The initial earnings would have been awesome if not for Panda. Talk about passive earnings! They lowered the pay threshold to $5 a month, so I will get something in October from them. Maybe enough to buy a cup of coffee somewhere?

I am finding better money in writing blogs for legal websites than writing for any content mill.

“I could earn a lot more money with a blog that promotes diet pills than I would with one that instructs readers to eat healthy, drink water and get plenty of exercise.”

Sad but so true, Felicia – everyone seems to want a quick fix. But like healthy finances, healthy weight (and healthy anything else I can think of) depends on daily decisions and actions. How can we get the masses on board with such a sensible idea as consistently making wise decisions? Hmm. Not very exciting, is it?
    Crystal recently posted..Will You Become a Millionaire?