Not Feeling It

| September 15, 2011

Not Feeling ItSomething pretty interesting has been happening with me. Every time I sit down to the computer to write, I don’t. What I end up doing is searching the Internet on subjects far removed from writing (like non-genetically modified foods and transitioning to a whole food diet).

Going with the Flow

In addition to my monetary goals, I also have certain health and fitness goals. Over the past few years I’ve spent more time concentrating on my monetary goals and not as much time on my fitness goals. Yes, I do exercise and yes, I do eat a relatively healthy diet, but I’m not where I want to be.

When I attempt to sit down and write, I end up on another health and nutrition site (my most recent favorite is DoctorYourself.com). So, instead of fighting it, I’m going with the flow.

Note: In re-reading this section of the post, I realize why I can’t write. I never “sit down to write.” Complete ideas/articles usually come to me and I have to race to the computer to write or dictate them before I forget. That has not been the case recently.

Money vs. PassionBalance

Over the summer, I knew my writing schedule was going to be light so I concentrated my writing efforts on the sites that brought in the most money (oh and I also wrote here on NJFM). Those moneymaking sites are great for making money, but not necessarily exciting and emotionally rewarding.

The balance between money and passion is like a pendulum (too bad I couldn’t find an appropriate image of a pendulum..guess the balancing scales will have to do). Over the summer, the pendulum swung to the money side, and now it must swing to the side of passion. Once I get my fill, things will balance out and I’ll be back on track for a more balanced writing schedule.

Newton’s Law

One of Newton’s laws states, “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” I’m finding this to be true. Although writing for passion won’t do much to add money to my bank account, it does much to fill my soul. There is no better written work than from a writer with a well-nourished soul.

So, to sum up this post, quota, goals and income be danged…this gal has gotta fill her soul.

Tags: ,

Category: Freelance, Writing

1. I’m not a writer. I do Title QA for Demand Studios and I work 7 nights a week. I’ve done this for two years. I’m having one of those nights where I just don’t feel like working. I hate those nights. I’m such a perfectionist and too hard on myself. I need to learn to let up a bit. I just can’t figure out how. I thought I’d come by and visit NJFM because it’d been awhile and I always liked it here. This particular title caught my eye. Thank you for making me feel better.
    Victoria – Ozarks Crescent Mural recently posted…Foggy Morning VideoMy Profile

2. Di - Living in Washington DC says:

That happens to everyone. There are times when I just need to step back and take a little break from it. When I do, I always come back energized and excited to start working again. Good luck 🙂

3. Bill Swan says:

Just go with the words. What you’re writing now may turn out to be something you need later. I do that with photography, I’ve been known to take a camera with me as I walk someplace and just snap shots. I know I don’t need them now, and they don’t do anything for what I work with now – but they make me feel good and I’m probably gonna use them later on someplace.

You just don’t know yet where your current writing fits in, other than allowing you to “work” while taking a break from working.
    Bill Swan recently posted…Writing Job Links and Affiliate SitesMy Profile

4. D. Heath says:

Sometimes that happens to me when writing a blog post. That’s when I know that I’m not really feeling passion about the post.
    I was into the health craze a couple of years ago. Definitely changed me for the better.
    D. Heath recently posted…Upgrade and Remodel Your Content and Blog on a Regular BasisMy Profile

5. Laura says:

Boy, I hear ya. If I am writing something because I think it will do well in searches, it reads a little dry. If I write from my heart, I can see the difference. I don’t know about you, but I can barely type fast enough when it comes from the heart . . .
    Thanks for the post.

6. Michael says:

I admire your positive attitude in the face of not feeling particularly inspired at the moment. What’s that they say about needing to let the fields go fallow every once in a while before you can seed, grow and harvest once more? I think there’s a lot of truth to that, especially in creative fields.
    Michael recently posted…Freelance Work Online – Alternatives to Demand StudiosMy Profile

7. Diane says:

I’m sorry to hear about your burnout. But we are getting into autumn with its crisp morning walks. Maybe you will feel inspired looking at the beauty of the season.
    Diane recently posted…Do It Cheaper: Sports Tickets, etc.My Profile

8. Ken says:

Oh, BTW…it’s official. The new 48 hour rule is in effect. (Gotta’ give the readers what they want..)
    Ken recently posted…Boosting Blog Traffic Like Grampa And Gramma DidMy Profile

9. Alexander says:

I have been so missing your posts, but they are all so good, I will allow your extended absence 😉 Really, you are so right to not write if the inspiration isn’t there, if you’ve done your job right – and you have – your audience won’t disappear overnight. Even this post inspires me, knowing that even for someone successful, you are human. As for me, I have had a crazy schedule and been unable to write nothing more than a few comments and emails for the last two months. Soon I’ll have a new schedule at my new job and I will be typing away again. We have to give ourselves that breathing room, and you’ve just made me feel better about it and now I know it is better to save myself for those creative bursts than to try and push out garbage. Thanks again Felicia, look forward to when you’re back, but don’t hurry.

10. Great post Felicia. I think at some point and some age we all think we need balance in our lives to be happy. My husband and I are both writers and we have 3F policy that we try to keep in balance. Finance, fitness and fiction (non-fiction for me :)) We’ve yet to achieve success of all 3F’s at once. If writing is going well, we’re not exercising enough and so on. But, and this is a big BUT, if we had all three perfectly balanced all the time whatever would we strive for? Browning said, “Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?” I think going with the flow is a good idea. You may lose a bit of balance, but you’ll catch up.
    Connie Brentford recently posted…Your Name Is Your Online ReputationMy Profile

Connie, I love that 3F formula and you’re right. If we did balance all 3F’s what the heck would we do?

Angela, Joni, thanks for the votes. You might regret it if I started writing uninspired. You might find out just too much boring information about how much my dog’s hair balls are blowing down the hallway and I just don’t have the desire or inclination to vacuum them up. After a few posts like that, you’ll take a vote to limit my internet access. 🙂

Bill, thanks for considering me a “big-timer,” but just like everyone else, I do put my pants on one leg at a time. Although, I’ve been known to jump into a pair with both feet. Don’t ask about the circumstances, suffice it to say that it’s a lot easier one leg at a time. 🙂

11. Joni says:

I second that Ken and I understand from where it is you are coming Felicia…..

12. Bill Swan says:

You just proved a point I tried to make back on Friday. If it ain’t there, it just ain’t there. I actually wondered out loud (okay in words at least) if any of the “big-time bloggers” had this problem where they just couldn’t get themselves to write or not know what to write.

Oh, compared to me, yes you is a “big-timer”. And this post proves the old saying that even those who are well known put their pants on one leg at a time. Thank you.
    Bill Swan recently posted…What Happens When I Can’t Write at the MomentMy Profile

13. I am on the verge of burnout and discouragement. It has been a long week, leaving for work at 6:30 each day this week and not getting home til 10pm on Monday and Tuesday. Got home early last night at 7:30 but went to bed and took a nap before getting up at 10pm for some important paperwork that needed finished by today.

I simply may need to take some time off. I get this way after a few months of working hard but have come to recognize it so that I don’t spin my wheels.
    cashflowmantra recently posted…Lessons in DiversificationMy Profile

6:30 am to 10:00 pm is a wicked schedule. I think I’m burnt out for you. 🙂

At least you recognize the signs and will adjust your time accordingly.

I know where you’re coming from, Felicia. My focus has changed over the past several months – partly due to circumstances WAY beyond my control and partly because I’m (yet again) reevaluating my course. Seems you said something one time about being careful that working at home didn’t start feeling like being in a cubicle again. Now that the novelty of actually being able to make money online (yippee!) has worn off some, I’m questioning the need. I’d rather find ways need less money than ways to earn more. It’s been fun and I’m not necessarily done, but I’ve definitely been spending too much time on the earning end. And what do I have to show for it? Well, it is fun to spend (and I’m probably helping the economy in a very small way) but at what cost to my time and sanity?

BTW – Thanks again for sharing. Like many others, I look forward to your posts:)
    Crystal recently posted…Do You Hate the New Blogger Interface Too?My Profile

15. Ken says:

(screech) re-mix…

Does anyone actually make money from a blogspot or know anyone who does?

Just curious because I’ve never read anywhere that they do…thanks again.

I’ve made money from blogspot blogs, but the person who is (was) the Master of making money with a blogspot blog is The Grizz. On the right I have a link to his current site (Grizzly’s How to Make Money Online).

The Grizz used to earn a six figure income from his blogspot blog. All was going along swimmingly until Google slammed the People’s Elbow on him (The Rock’s famous move before he became an actor).

Since then he moved his info to his own domain.

16. Ken says:

Must be something in the water. I just decided to start posting on a couple of my blogspots again. I convinced myself they could never be productive for me…and now I say to hell with that. I’m gonna’ do it anyway. I really like posting there (a Quaker Parrot Blog and a Web Writing Blog)…so to hell with it. I’m gonna’ do.

Felicia…I would like to start a motion that would require you not to go more than 48hrs without a NJFM post!

Can I get a second? Anyone.. Anyone..
    Ken recently posted…The Blogging Ethos: Never QuitMy Profile

17. Grandma says:

Maybe it’s a combination of all things…the crappy news everywhere…the poor economy…a non-functioning government…bad weather…hot weather…lack of work…offerings of stupid work and ridiculous instructions for those articles…and on and on. Who would not be sub-consciously avoiding it all?

18. Tiffany says:

Since having my 3rd child about 6 months ago I have been on a weight loss kick. (I have already about 55 pounds with 50 being preggo weight). That being said I don’t feel like working as much on my other sites. I have started 2 sites that have to do with weight loss/healthy eating as that is my passion right now, so I know exactly where you are coming from.

One of the sites I am super excited about and I don’t know if it will even make me that much money, but for this site it’s more about sharing with others like me and helping people. I don’t think that everything has to be about money (unless you absolutely need the money in order to survive).I also believe that when it comes to passions you often find more creative ways to make money from them that you may have not thought about before. For example I know a few weight loss bloggers who are now fitness trainers or have started a membership forum that cost a few dollars every month but has new workouts every week.

I do think that you do need a balance if you aren’t making money from your passion and it sounds like you understand that completely.
    Tiffany recently posted…Revisiting HubPages vs. SquidooMy Profile

19. Crystal Watts says:

I too get up in the morning looking for your emails, I really enjoy reading your posts and when I don’t see them, wonder … where’s Felicia today?

Even though, I know we are all human and not every day is going to be a bouncing party of writing. There are times when we peak and other times when we just want to do something else. True, we all love writing and I’m sure for most of us that have stuck with it, it’s a part of us and we’ve been doing it a long time. So I understanding the odd feeling inside when you realize you just don’t feel like it 🙂 No worries – it always returns popping, filled, and glad to see you too!

Keep up the good work Felicia. I enjoy reading your posts!

20. Deanna says:

I think we all go through times when the well dries up and we need a break – I know I did this past summer. I’ve also found that when I write articles that I don’t find all that interesting (but make good money at), it seems to take away my creativity and passion when I sit down to write the articles I enjoy writing. The past few days I’ve had no “assignments” and have been updating some of my blogs and am having a blast. I guess we all need a balance of writing for money (whether for ourselves or someone else) and writing for passion. 🙂
    Deanna recently posted…Learn To Take Rejection GracefullyMy Profile

21. Loretta says:

Felicia, I am on constant lookout for your posts and disappointed when I don’t see a current one. Every time I read one — especially this current — I am amazed at how much we think alike. We must be some kind of psychic twins. LOL. Sometimes out of the blue I’ll get a lightbulb flash moment and rush to my computer. But after I sit down to write I find myself just sitting there staring at the blank screen (the lightbulb dimmed) and sometimes I imagine that the computer screen is mockingly singing to me, “Yooou can’t do it.” Then, like you, since I am there anyway, I start searching the net. I read current news stories and visit sites about health, nutrition, and my favorite — exercise.

Making money is for me, as it is for most people, not only a goal, but a necessity. I know that for me lack of income will result in a financial meltdown to nothing; and we know what nothing from nothing leaves. I would rather write then do just about anything, and because writing is my passion, sometimes I can fuel that passion with just a prayerful boost. When I find myself deeply embedded in writer’s block, I call on my spirituality to turn off that mocking computer voice and rev my creative engine and it works – at least until the next lull. LOL. Keep filling your soul girl and feeding us those uplifting posts. You do it so well.
    Loretta recently posted…Times They Are a-Changin’ – Part III of IIIMy Profile