August Earnings: Close but No Cigar

| September 6, 2011 | 16 Comments

No CigarThis Internet is a fickle beast. A few weeks ago I was on track to reach my pre-eHow closure and pre-Panda earnings. However, things slowed down just a bit towards the end of the month (earthquakes and hurricanes do have an affect on earnings).

All in all, I consider August to be a successful month as I came within $36.96 of my March (pre-Panda/eHow) earnings. I don’t think that’s too bad considering that the eHow/Panda smack down swiped over 50% of my residual earnings. I’m now back within striking range of reaching one of my goals of entering the Double O Club based purely on residuals.

Putting the Nose to the Grindstone

I view the month of September similar to the way I view the month of January. It’s a new start. The summer vacation is over, the weather is turning colder and it’s time to get back to work.

How I handle the months of September through December will dictate my New Year’s resolutions. If I reach the Double O Club during these four months, I won’t have to put it on my New Year’s resolution list. I’ve got some fitness and decorating goals that I’d like to achieve during these 4 months also. No need in carrying the dreaded 15 pounds with me all the way to New Years only to vow to lose them next year.

Setting up the Success Schedule

While doing a mindless task like the dishes or folding the clothes the other day, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Success is scheduled. It doesn’t just happen. You have to figure out what you want, determine what it takes to get it and then set up a schedule to get it done (a flexible schedule because life happens).

I believe 4 months is ample time to accomplish the items I’d like to accomplish. Now it’s up to me to set up a success schedule and take small steps each day to reach my goal.

How was your August? And…even more important than your August, what are your plans for the next 4 months?

Tags: , ,

Category: Earning Money

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Mandy says:

That exactly sounds like what’s going for me. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one and there is an end in sight!

2. Mandy says:

An inspirational post as always! What do you do to keep the stress down and your energy up? I find that stress and low energy are my biggest time wasters. Every day is better but it still seems like a constant juggling act.

Mandy, I’ve found the stress factor diminished with time.

When you’re first starting out, it’s hard to juggle home life and a new writing career. On top of the juggling act you have the concerns of making enough money and satisfying editors.

Over time, you begin to find your flow, but you’ve got to watch what you read and the forums in which you participate. I found that I had to stay away from negative environments because they did nothing but add stress, doubt and an underlying feeling of uneasiness. The more I concentrated on what needed to be done, the better I felt and the more progress I made. Its’ funny how making progress takes away stress and low energy.

It takes time, but hang in there. Keep your eyes on the prize.

• Emily says:

Good thought–staying away from the negative environments! Felicia, I love that you have such a positive community here at nojobformom.com. You are an inspiration. Consider me a newly devoted subscriber!

3. D. Heath says:

Very inspirational!! I think in the long term all quality will be able to recover financially from Panda. I’m not monetizing my blog right now, I’m definitely looking forward to it.

4. Jen says:

This is great! It’s so nice to see someone who is no longer relying on sites like Demand and eHow – and being successful at it!

5. Diane says:

I agree with you, September is a great time to start new goals. There is something energizing about the autumn months. I spent Labor Day weekend planning blog goals up through the holidays. Maybe I shouldn’t say this publicly, but it felt really good to take a few days off from Demand Studios and concentrate on achieving my dream.

6. Bill Swan says:

Wow this sounds similar to why I set off a bunch of goals for September. August simply sucked, and I realized it was because of little or no real planning on my part. But like I said on my blog, you can’t plan the rest of the year without knowing what you want for each month.

I’m with you, Felicia – September is time for me to get back on track after the summer. I love your insight “success is scheduled.” I think I’ll post that on the wall where I see it all the time. And that photo is perfect! Where do you come up with this stuff?

8. August turned out fairly well for me. I am also close to my all-time high with earnings although I think it might take me 3 to 4 months to achieve but it is within reach. I have been getting great traffic and eventually it will convert to earnings I have no doubt. Keep inspiring all of us. We do appreciate it.

I couldn’t help but think of you as I wrote my latest post also.

I love the “tracking…slacking” comment. I’ve got to spend more time on your blog. You’ve got some great stuff there (I’m a bit behind on my blog reading).