The Attitude of Abundance vs. Scarcity

| August 24, 2011

Abundance vs. ScarcityThis post was inspired by Michael’s (Demand Studio Review) comment. His comment was regarding something I had written about the eHow writer’s compensation program closure.

He had inquired as to why I did not take my eHow articles and place them on a newly created website to earn residual income off of the 300 or so previously written articles. While that was definitely one route I could have taken, I chose not to. First of all, the payout that I received from eHow was too good to pass up. Secondly, as mentioned before on this blog, I tend to write and forget about it.

Abundance vs. Scarcity

If you’ve read more than five posts on this blog you know I’m a big fan of Brian Tracy. In several of his books he addresses the attitude of abundance versus the attitude of scarcity. To paraphrase: “In this universe there is more than enough to go around for everybody. It’s your attitude about whether or not there is enough that will determine if you get your share.”

Some time ago I had a reader who often commented here at NJFM. In reading her comments it was evident that she had the attitude of scarcity. SheScarcity never thought there were enough writing assignments, clients or venues to earn money. You could see there was a paranoia and tinge of envy when other writers were successful. It was almost as if they had taken a piece of the pie that was slotted for her. Unfortunately, I believe her attitude became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

She has since stopped coming by the blog or maybe just stop commenting. I wish this person well but I believe a change in her attitude would make a huge change in her financial condition.

The Attitude of Abundance

Because I believe in an abundant universe, I choose not to hold on for dear life to articles that I’ve written in the past. I also tend not to pay attention to things like Facebook “Like,” re-tweets, and other external measures of my content quality. By focusing on Likes and re-tweets and other external measures there is the tendency to write for popularity rather than from passion. In my opinion such outside measures inadvertently give rise to the attitude of scarcity. Too afraid to venture out into new unpopular territory writers begin to clamor for top spots in saturated subject areas.

With the attitude of abundance, I know for a fact that there are enough subjects, readers and money to go around as long as I continue to write quality from a point of internal guidance rather than external guidance. Don’t take what I’m saying out of context. Of course you have to pay attention to external conditions, but don’t let the external conditions frighten you into an attitude of scarcity.

As I look back over my eHow journey, when it is all said and done, each of my articles were worth an average of $147. I had in excess of 300 Doorway to Opportunityarticles on eHow. That’s a nice piece of change but that train has left the station. It’s time for me to find another mode of transportation (or catch a different train).

The eHow WCP closure forced me to take my writing in a different direction. One door closed and a newer, shinier, bigger door opened.

Having the attitude of abundance is far more peaceful and calming to my soul than an attitude of scarcity. Being afraid that there’s never enough is exhausting. Knowing that we live in an abundant universe gives me piece of mind.

I didn’t mean to go all Zen on you guys, but sometimes the difference between success and failure is attitude.

BTW: This month is on track to exceed my pre-WCP closure income.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Earning Money

1. Vernon says:

This is very informative post. In our Economics subject abundance is define an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply and scarcity is define as the fundamental economic problem of having humans who have unlimited wants and needs in a world of limited resources. We are trying to analyze each problem and find solution to it… This post is great and lots of ideas to be discuss.
    Vernon recently posted…DragonicaMy Profile

2. LilyRose says:

Thanks Felicia, you’re so right. Your setbacks seemed to have made you a successful person in the freelance writing world. Quite frankly, you’ve succeeded in this tough industry when not a lot of writers have. That’s quite an accomplishment.

I agree–I’ve read a ton of books, but the positive thinking isn’t sinking in the way I want. Maybe audio CDs are the way to go. Thanks again 🙂

3. LilyRose says:

Thanks Felicia for this inspiring post and everyone’s insightful comments.

I agree, but I also agree it’s hard to change your thinking. An abundant world is hard for me to wrap my head around, but I know it’s true and this positive mindset will make me successful once and for all. As someone who has struggled financially for the past nine years, it’s been very trying. But I agree, you have to be a different person to live a different reality.

Best of luck to everyone else on this journey toward financial success.

LilyRose, if you’re having a difficult time wrapping your head around abundant thinking, maybe you should spend a little time each day reading motivational books, watching motivational DVD’s or listening to motivational CD’s or tapes.

My abundant thought process was not dropped into my head. It was developed over years. I was a glass half empty type of gal. Life beat the crap out of me for a while (and on occasion still does), but my attitude towards my butt whippins are much different.

My mom’s terminal illness not too long after losing my job wasn’t the best time in my life. We’ve had to deal with too many health and financial setbacks, but if it weren’t for an abundant attitude (and my faith in God), I don’t think I’d get out of bed in the morning.

I realized I was letting too many outside forces dictate my self talk and my thoughts. Once I took control of my thinking, things changed. Well, not really, things didn’t change; my response and attitude towards things changed. I’m still undergoing a mental transition, but I feel I’m heading in the right direction.

If I can do it, you can too.

4. Deepika says:

Thanks Felicia for inspiring us again n again !! Loved the words of Mr Tracy “In this universe there is more than enough to go around for everybody. It’s your attitude about whether or not there is enough that will determine if you get your share.”

Rightfully its only our attitude which makes of mars….
    Deepika recently posted…10 Reasons To Start Drinking Green Tea TodayMy Profile

5. Grandma says:

Excellent thoughts, Felicia…and very true. The train concept is also good, and it has been used to relate to many ideas. Life is filled with trains going in all directions, just like rivers…hop on board a different one if the one you are on does not go where you wanted it to go.

Even the best gig can come abruptly to a halt; having more than one place to write is very necessary. Other options are available too. Writers that have become “burned out” may do well to do something else for a bit until the passion returns.

If you do look for them, options are abundant.

6. Kristine says:

This also goes against how I think naturally, but I read this two days ago and have been thinking about it since. Thanks!
    Kristine recently posted…I Quit. Why I’m Saying Good Bye to Content Mills.My Profile

7. Sheila says:

Ahhh. This is very true and not just for writing. I used to get consumed with envy and get discouraged when someone I know has become successful in an area I’m also interested in. I used to think that there will be less market for me to tap if other people had already gone ahead of me. I realised later on that it was a very limiting attitude. I now focus on what I truly like and cared less about my “competitors”. It’s liberating to have a shift in my thinking.
    Sheila recently posted…CNA CertificationMy Profile

8. I completely agree with this post, both in theory and practice. The attitude of scarcity is at the root of many of the world’s problems. There’s no reason for groups to fight over tiny strips of land when there’s plenty for everyone.

There’s always work for good writers. And you’re right: Living at peace is much easier than living with the fear of going without.

I don’t have much money these days, but I manage to meet my obligations one way or another. I’ve never gone without yet.

Gip
    Gip @ So Much More Life recently posted…Toward A Simpler Replacement For QuickenMy Profile

9. Jen says:

What a great post! I am a big fan of having an attitude of abundance and recently,my attitude has been paying off big time! I think once you get the hang of it, it has a snowball effect.
    Jen recently posted…Fiverr Tips: How to Get More Exposure to your Fiverr GigsMy Profile

10. Amanda says:

Lately, I have ventured into Twitter to see if I can have any luck with it. I’ve thought long and hard about it, but finally decided to have a go, because I want to do everything I can to make things happen. However, unlike other marketing methods, Twitter requires high maintenance. That’s the reason I shrink from it until now, because I don’t think I have the heart (my mind wants to do it, but my heart doesn’t) to tweet day after day. I like commenting on blogs, but Twitter is totally another thing!

I know it’s a bit off topic, but that’s what I want to share.

11. Ruth says:

It’s funny because I caught myself with this attitude the other day. I caught myself and reminded myself that there’s more than enough to go round. It still doesn’t come naturally to me, but logically I know you’re right.
    Ruth recently posted…Having A Goal And Making It HappenMy Profile

Ruth, the attitude of abundance is not always natural for me either, but, as Brian Tracy says, “If you want to accomplish things you’ve never accomplished before, you’ll to have to become a person you’ve never been before.” It’s all about self improvement. Just like you, there are times I have to remind myself.

12. Ah, always wonderful to read what I call, one of my grandmother’s tenets. She was full of wisdom (as we expect all grandparents to be) – and I was the lucky beneficiary, thanks to my Mom being a single parent. I believe I am happy today, simply because her philosophy is so deeply embedded inside. Makes everything easier in life. This post goes into my “Great Links”. Felicia, your posts have a bit of a monopoly in my favorite links.

Sometimes, even though we know certain things, it feels good to read about them. Reaffirmation, I guess.
    Vidya Sury, Freelance Writer & Blogger recently posted…My share of burnt toastMy Profile

13. Michael says:

No need to apologize for going zen, it was an interesting look at the subject. Thanks for addressing my comment not only with a comment back on the original post but with a whole new post! You’re definitely more engaged with your readers than the average blogger, which I think is one of many reasons for your success.
    Michael recently posted…Demand Media Not Getting Rid of How to FormatMy Profile

Sorry for the late approval. For some reason your comment ended up in my spam folder.

Michael, NJFM is a two-way street. I think we do a good job of inspiring each other here. 🙂

14. Deanna says:

Everything you say is so true. There is enough out there for everyone who is willing to strive for it. I’ve found that some people want you to take them by the hand and show them exactly where the pot of gold is – and those are the people who do not succeed. You have to create your own oppportunities. It is usually not easy and disappointments do come your way – but that is part of the process. No matter what, it is important to keep a positive attitude and continue striving for your goal. (Sorry if this is starting to sound like an Infomercial.) Great post!
    Deanna recently posted…I Haven’t Disappeared – I’m Just Busy WritingMy Profile

15. Diane says:

I fell into this trap when I spent 12 hours a day writing for Demand Studios. I was not a big producer – those 12 hours netted 5 – 6 articles. I wondered why other people were so successful but I wasn’t – even though I was willing to put in long hours.

Then I found your blog and realized that working for myself is the path to success. My site is only a few months old and doesn’t earn much, but it has started earning steadily. I still depend on DMS too much, but now I am writing $25 articles instead of $15 ones.

Thank you so much for your blog, Felicia. Even though I do not comment often, I read every post and learn from them.
    Diane recently posted…Buy Great Gifts on a Small BudgetMy Profile

Diane, I’m so glad that you found an alternative to DMS. It takes time before your own blogs will take off, but the fact that you started down the path of blog ownership is a big step.

16. kidgas says:

Change and adaptability. That is what it takes to keep up in the world. I suppose you could refer to it as growth. We are either growing or dying. I will continue to grow until the day I die.
    kidgas recently posted…The Puppy Website is OnlineMy Profile

Nice, Felicia – it seems I may finally be back to my normal schedule and here I am enjoying yet another inspirational and thought-provoking post with my morning tea. Life is good!

I also believe in abundance. Your recent post on how many bloggers we all know really hit it home for me how much opportunity there is and always will be. There will also be change but that’s the only thing you can count on in any area of life, right? The beauty is that change always brings a whole host of new opportunities. They may not be readily apparent, you may even be kicking and screaming for a while (maybe that’s just me?), but opportunities await discovery nonetheless.
    Crystal recently posted…How to Prepare for Your Golden YearsMy Profile

Glad to see you’re back, Crystal. You’re right. The one thing we can be assured of is change (whether we go along nicely or screaming). 🙂