How Many Bloggers Do You Know?

| August 18, 2011

BloggerIn your offline world, how many bloggers do you know?

This question popped into my mind the other day as I was running. I set up my first site in 1999 (as pitiful as it looked) and didn’t get started blogging until 2008. When I earned my first 63 cents back in 2006, I didn’t have a blog.

Everybody Has a Blog

If you listen to the news or even spend time online, you get the impression that everybody has a blog. Maybe I’m traveling in the wrong circles, but when I stop and think real hard, none of my immediate circle and no one in my extended circle blogs.

One former co-worker of mine maintains a blog, but he’s too involved in local city politics to spend too much time blogging. More people visit blogs than actually have blogs.

Some Stats to Chew On

Here are some stats. In 2010 according to Pingdom.com,  there were 1.97 billion internet users worldwide. In the same year, according to BlogPulse, there were 255 million blogs on the internet. Now, if I divide the number of blogs by the number of internet users (carry some ones and move some decimals over a time or two) I come up with about 13% of the internet users have blogs.

Of the 13% of internet users with blogs, I can bet that most bloggers have more than one blog . That means there are even fewer people who blog (I have about 15 or so blogs and I know of folks who have way more blogs than I do).

To get a better perspective of what we’re talking about here, check out this video:

What Do I See When I View Such Stats?

I see opportunity. There will always be beginner bloggers. Just imagine, someone today is creating a blog for the first time and they know even less than you and I do. In a couple of years from now as you’ve gained more experience you’ll be considered the expert to the newbie who just found out that there is a program called Google AdSense.

Excuse me for getting a bit giddy but all I can see in front of me is opportunity. There are opportunities for you and me and everyone else to grab a newbie by the hand (so to speak) and guide them through the process of becoming successful bloggers or content writers. There are more than enough newbies to go around.Internet Growth

All you need to do is develop your own flavor of teaching. We all know that despite what the label says, one size does not fit all. Similarly, one guru’s teaching methods will not appeal to every newbie. As long as you continue to hone your skills and discover what works best for you, you’ll be able to create products to help newbies become successful. As they buy your products, you become more successful.

Unlike the ever shrinking job market, you are a part of a growing field that will be lucrative for years to come. And…when the folks in your circle finally come to the realization that earning money online is a viable option, you’ll hold back your “I told you so” and give them a hand.

The possibilities are endless

Tags: , ,

Category: Blog, Earning Money

1. Bill Swan says:

To use a bad analogy – how many building contractors do you know personally? Unless you are in the field, probably almost none. But a contractor can likely tell you 50 others who are in the field, who is good, bad and what their specialty is.

Writers are just like that. Bloggers are a specialized writer so of course they know other bloggers. And you come across bloggers the same way you come across building contractors – you see their name somewhere and look them up. Hence you find their work, and others like them.
    Bill Swan recently posted…Comments Mean You’re Being HeardMy Profile

2. Ken Muise says:

Shameless, but I just wanted to know if my new Gravatar was working…

3. Melissa says:

I don’t know anyone in my immediate circle who blogs. In fact, I still get that ‘what are you talking about’, one eyebrow cocked up to the hairline look whenever I mention my blog. LOL
    Melissa recently posted…Moving ForwardMy Profile

4. Shelley says:

Thank you for this wonderful post. Believe it or not, I happen to know two people personally who blog very well: one, a professional writer. They always put me in awe of their abilities (even though I’ve done my share of article writing and blogging as well). Somehow, my efforts seem to pale in comparison. I’ve also let my blogs fall by the wayside as well.

I’ve never made any money (outside of one broker site); but then, I haven’t pursued long enough to know, have I?

Again, you’ve given me to set me back on course and give it another try. I appreciate all you share with the reader, and a thanks to your commenters as well.

5. As long as we live, there will always be opportunity. We just need to recognize it :-).

I do know a lot of bloggers offline, yet I know even more people who:

a/ don’t know what a blog is, and when they know, think they’re missing out on all the fun
    b/ think a blog is something only the “elite” know about and write/own
    c/ admiringly look up to me (oh, that feels so good!) because I have been consistently writing since 2003
    d/ couldn’t care less and look at me indulgently (grrr..)

I’ve been thinking about your post about residual income and need to take action. Just that I am too happy right now with just the kind of work I like to do.

It is so inspiring to visit your blog, Felicia. You are among my favorite writers. This may sound weird, but I would seriously worry if I didn’t receive an update for three days in a row. Thank you.
    Vidya Sury, Freelance Writer & Professional Blogger recently posted…The weight loss obsessionMy Profile

Vidya, the key words from your post “I am too happy right now with just the kind of work I like to do” means you’re doing what you’re supposed to do. I’m happy for you and wish more folks were in your very fortunate position. I feel just as you do. I’ve finally found what I’m supposed to be doing too. 🙂

Bloggers who quit are the only ones I know personally. And there are only two. And they’re both relatives – hmm. Both still have blogs but neither has updated in the past year+. Of course, I am not the poster child for frequent blog posts lately . . . but I’m certainly not quitting!
    Crystal recently posted…How to Prepare for Your Golden YearsMy Profile

7. Joni says:

I love it….it IS opportunity. The only people in my family that even USE a computer are my two kids, a niece, and me. That is among 20 people. Until recently, my mom thought if I was on the computer I was playing solitaire or yaking on Facebook. I told her (for the 99th time) if I’m on the computer I am working, even if it is all day).
    I’m sorry, but I will have to tell them “I told you so”…….lol.
    Joni

8. Michael says:

Not to mention all the blogs that no one actually updates or tends to anymore. It’s like how “everyone is on Twitter” and “everyone is on Facebook” even though a ton of people aren’t on either or are but barely check in.
    Michael recently posted…How to Unsubscribe from Demand Media Studios Demand Deals EmailsMy Profile

9. Pam says:

That’s so funny, I was just wondering about those kind of stats the other day when I realized I don’t know (in real life) a single person who blogs. Thanks!

10. Deanna says:

Very interesting stats. In my “real” life, I don’t know anyone who blogs – in fact, people tend to look at me funny if I say I have a blog (actually, I have several), like it isn’t normal to have one. Yet my online friends all have blogs and we all think it is very normal. I also never really thought about the fact that now the time is ripe to make money teaching others what we have learned from trial and error. You’re right, there is opportunity for everyone out there who is already one step ahead of a newbie. Thanks for pointing all this out – it gives me something new to think about.
    Deanna recently posted…Christian/Religious Publications Writer’s GuidelinesMy Profile

11. Deb says:

I love the way you look at things. I’ve been experimenting with Internet marketing (finally getting somewhere, too). While it seems that everyone in the world is into it, when I’m out and about — almost no one has a clue about what I’m doing. They know me as a teacher, never understanding my clandestine “separate life” post-retirement.

Opportunity is everywhere — especially between my bed and my back door.

Deb

12. kidgas says:

Great points. I know no one who has a blog so your point is well taken. Not to mention the fact that there is still 2/3 of the world’s population that don’t even use the internet. More possibilities.
    kidgas recently posted…Plans and Happenings at CFMMy Profile