Oh that Elusive 63 Cents – July Earnings

| August 1, 2011

Earnings

Just last night I looked at my numbers and mentioned to my hubby that I was 63 cents shy of reaching $2,600 for the month. When I said it we both laughed because we both remembered when 63 cents was my entire monthly haul.

In April of 2006 I earned $.63. It was my first month online and it was the beginning of my online writing fascination. I didn’t start to take it seriously until February of 2007 but that first $.63 was the catalyst.

Several Years Later

July

Since then I’ve earned over $100,000 online. No, I didn’t accomplish it all in one year, but I fully believe one day my annual earnings will exceed $100,000. I’ve got more work to do before I reach that milestone, but I’ll continue to enjoy the journey.

Average Weekly Earnings

Last month I shared my June earnings in the form of a graph. I thought of using that same graph this month to show my July earnings but I realize the graph would be misleading. You see, in February of 2011 my average daily residual earnings were $86.15. And although my July average daily earnings didn’t reach $86.15, my actual monthly income for July is higher than it was in February. The 28/31 day differential makes a big difference when reporting daily averages.

Instead of reporting my July earnings by showing my daily average chart (although I couldn’t help but insert a small image), I decided to report it showing my weekly average. To calculate my average weekly income I take the monthly earnings and multiply it by 12 to get the projected annual income. I then divide the annual income by 52 weeks to get the average weekly income if my earnings had remained constant for the year.

Using such calculations, I now share my July, 2011 earnings below:

May

$355.30

June

$465.61

July

$605.12

*eHow closure and Panda algorithm change.

The above earnings do not include the amount received in the eHow buy out. They only include my monthly residual earnings.

Baseball

As you can see, July is my second highest earning month this year. If I had displayed the earnings on an average daily basis, the numbers would incorrectly relegate July to third place. To borrow a saying from the old Saturday Night Live character Chico Escuela, July has been “very very good to me.”

Back to the 63 cents

The only way to increase earnings from .63 to .64 is to stick with it. You have to stick with it through the ups (such as stellar earning days) and the downs (such as hungry Pandas and program closures). I guess it was easy for me to stick with it because I cannot see myself doing anything else.

BTW: I did earn the needed .63 and then some.  I’ll come back and finalize the July figures in a couple of days when all revenue sources have finished reporting.

Tags: ,

Category: Earning Money, Freelance, Motivation, Self Employed

1. Luke says:

I agree that consistency is very important. Not even in IM but everywhere. It is easy to visit a gym for one day. Anyone can do that. After that period our curiosity disappears and it not so interesting anymore. It the same with earning money. It comes down to work, work and more work !
    Luke recently posted…Are online degrees respected ?My Profile

2. skeet42 says:

Today, I have read 3 of your articles and I must say you are very inspiring. Every now and then we all need that little extra push. Thanks for my push.

3. I remember my first month I made 13 cents, and then a whopping 36 cents the next month. Thank goodness I stuck with it instead of giving up – but it is funny how the changes happen gradually – but they do take place.
    Master Dayton recently posted…Freelance Writing Advice: Jumping at OpportunityMy Profile

4. Kyle Brown says:

“Where else can I live life, enjoy an experience and write about it? Better yet, I get to earn money from doing it. In other words, I get paid for being me. C’mon think about it. Does it get any better than that?”

No, doesn’t it doesn’t get any better than that!

5. Gisela says:

Thanks for sharing Felicia, it’s so empowering to see that it can be done!

6. You’re doing great, Felicia! Funny about the 63 cents … what a difference in just a few short years. $100k/ year is totally within your reach!
    Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…Welcoming a New BabyMy Profile

7. Joni says:

Once again, that’s all it took; to see your earnings. I have only made up front pay, but I do not even think about going back to my old life. I WILL do it. When I see in plain print that it can be done I know I can do it.
    Our cheerleader!
    Regards,
    Joni

8. Angela says:

Hi, Felicia! Love this article. Every time I read one of your postings it gives me a fresh motivation to get up, get moving, and make it happen. You are living the dream, living MY dream — doing what you love, writing, and making money at it RESIDUALLY. More and more I can see that persistence and consistency are the keys.

The serious results that one can achieve by working a plan really hit home to me when you said that from start to now you’ve earned over $100K online. I remember just a few short years ago when the naysayers were proclaiming loudly that the choice that you made in how you wanted to make your living online was neither practical nor profitable. To this I’d like to indulge myself and reach back into my childhood for what I think is a most heartfelt belated reply — NA-na na-na naaaaaaaaaa-na :p Ha! The best revenge is massive success. 😉

(Please forgive my rambling. I’m just so giddy over your results that I can’t think (or write) straight. 😀 )
    Angela recently posted…I BelieveMy Profile

9. Loretta says:

Felicia, I don’t know if you are familiar with Squire D. Rushnell’s series of books about “God Winks.” I am a long-time fan of his. I said that to say this. Although I am a trooper, occasionally I — like many writers — have days like today when I am trying very hard to write, but feeling like there is a brick wall blocking my creativity. I felt that I needed just a tiny push, a wee bit of encouragement to get me out of the temporary slump. For some distraction I decided to check my email box and there you were encouraging us to “stick with it.” Your post about “that Elusive 63 cents” not only put a broad smile on my face, but it was my God Wink for today. Thanks for being the messenger.
    Loretta recently posted…Message to My Boomer Friends – Get With It!My Profile

Loretta, I’m not familiar with Squire D. Rushnell, but I’m going to check him out. I gotta tell you. I love being a messenger or a part of God’s master plan. Glad I was able to help.

10. Deanna says:

Your earnings look great, especially considering they are residual earnings. You are so right – what better way to earn a living than doing what you love? I couldn’t imagine doing anything else but writing either. 🙂

11. kidgas says:

Congrats on getting that 63 cents. You have bounced back quite quickly from the Panda and eHow hurdles. Very inspiring.
    kidgas recently posted…Back From Vacation Trying to Catch UpMy Profile

Back when eHow closed and Panda happened, I set a 6 month goal. I wanted to do what it took to increase my income to its prior level. It looks like I’m heading in the right direction.