Another Plugin to Add to the List

| July 1, 2011

PlagiaristAs an addendum to My Favorite WordPress Plugins list, I just came across one called WP-CopyProtect. The purpose of this plugin is to make it harder for plagiarists to copy and paste your content.

While on the topic of plagiarism, if you have your blog’s RSS feed set to “Full Text” I would suggest that you change that to “Summary.” A full text feed is the best type of feed for plagiarists. All they have to do is copy the entire content of your feed and place it on their site. In other words, you hand deliver your content to them to copy.

If you use the summary option, they have to actually visit your site to copy your text. And, to make it even more cumbersome for them to copy the text, install the WP-CopyProtect plugin and configure it to “Disable right click,” and “Disable text selection.” By choosing those two options, plagiarists are unable to select, copy and paste your text. It also disables Ctrl+A (select all command) and Ctrl+C (copy command).

I’ve installed it on all of my other blogs. I’m on the fence about installing it on NJFM. I don’t want to make it harder for readers who legitimately use parts of my content to help spread encouragement and motivation to others who need it.

Always a Work Around

I want to caution that this plugin doesn’t make it impossible for plagiarists to copy your text. It just makes it more difficult. Sort of like car thieves. Anti-theft devices make it a little more difficult for thieves to steal a car, but if they really want your car, they’ll figure out how to get it. What anti-theft devices do is it prevents the petty thieves that haven’t quite figured out the work around yet.

Tags: , ,

Category: Plugins, WordPress

1. Charlotte says:

Glad to understand why many are doing this. I haven’t been keeping up with this and others because I have to go to the site. Yes, I am lazy … But certainly not one of the plagiarists !

2. Heilager says:

I’m not sure I like the idea of this plugin for a couple of reasons.

I frequently copy entire articles and put them in Onenote in my article database I have.

Second, if my readers need to copy material I have written I don’t have a problem with it.

Third, the most used web browser is Firefox and no-script will probably stop this like a hot rock.

Heilager, it’s not for everyone and for every blog. I’m sharing the plugin because I believe it can be useful. As I mentioned in my post, I didn’t install it here on NJFM for the same reason you reiterated in your second objection.

Additionally, your third objection only reiterates what I’ve said in my post. It won’t stop plagiarists (nothing will stop them), it just makes it a little more difficult.

3. I wonder if there is a Blogger version? Hmm…
    This code may be helpful for those not on WordPress. It’s tested, so it’s safe.

No Copy Coding for Articles and Blogs
    This code prevents highlighting and right-clicking:

//Disable select-text script (IE4+, NS6+)- By Andy Scott
    //Exclusive permission granted to Dynamic Drive to feature script
    //Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script
    function disableselect(e){
    return false
    }
    function reEnable(){
    return true
    }
    //if IE4+
    document.onselectstart=new Function (“return false”)
    //if NS6
    if (window.sidebar){
    document.onmousedown=disableselect
    document.onclick=reEnable
    }

Alina Bradford recently posted…Think You’re Your Own Boss? Think Again.My Profile

4. William Tha Great says:

Hey Felicia,

I might not understand the plugin correctly. I can still select and copy all your content. I thought that was supposed to be disabled?

God bless,
    William Veasley
    William Tha Great recently posted…There Is Money To Be Made!My Profile

William, go back and read the entire post.

• William Tha Great says:

Hey Felicia,

I read the article, but I feel like i’m missing something?

You said that the plugin disables the right click, but it doesn’t disable mines. It doesn’t seem to make it harder to copy your content.

Hope this makes sense.

God bless,
        William Veasley
        William Tha Great recently posted…Having Another Long Day?My Profile

I’ll give you a hint. 🙂

I mentioned that I installed it on all of my other blogs, but am on the fence as to whether or not to install it on NJFM. In other words, I didn’t install it on this blog. Check out one of my other blogs.

5. William Tha Great says:

Hey Felicia,

Glad I dropped back by NJFM! I will be installing that plugin asap! I have been looking for a plugin like that, because I know it will stop a lot of plagerism.

Would you say most people try to simply copy and paste your content?

Thanks! Keep up the hard work!

God bless,
    William Veasley
    William Tha Great recently posted…Why Inconsistency Is Stabbing You In The Back?My Profile

6. kidgas says:

As one who is just starting to figure out WordPress, this is invaluable information. Thanks.
    kidgas recently posted…I Got My Work Cut Out For MeMy Profile