Backing Up a Bit

| June 24, 2011

Going BackwardsI realized that my last post might be a bit discouraging to a newbie.  I feel I need to back it up a bit for folks who don’t know my story.

My last post talks about my shock and weak-kneed reaction to earning over $100 in one day with Google AdSense. What some of you don’t know is that in my first year of playing online I earned $16.25. If you want to see how I did it take a look at the chart

March Created Site
April $ 0.63
May $ 2.63
June $ 3.58
July $ 1.05
August $ 0.06
Sept $ 0.09
October $ 1.63
November $ –
December $ 6.58
Total $16.25

You can see that I wasn’t kidding when I said $16.25 in one year.

It Could Have Ended There

If I gave up, I could have said to anyone who asked if earning money on line was possible, “Don’t waste your time. I earned $16.25 in a whole year. It’s not worth it!” But instead I thought of it as, “Wait a minute. I earned $16.25 in a year while I was playing online doing something I enjoyed. Imagine how much I could earn if I took this stuff seriously.”

It’s All about PerspectiveHope

I get emails daily from folks asking me if they should write for certain sites. The conversation goes something like this:

“I saw on NJFM that you had a particular experience with a particular site…should I waste my time with that site?” Here’s my global answer. It all depends. If you’re one to give up at the first sign of adversity, then don’t bother. I wrote for a year and earned $16.25. Would you do that? Why did I write for $16.25? I did it because I was doing what I would have done for free. You have to figure out what you are and are not willing to do. Determine your own boundaries (my boundaries may not work well for you).

My Online Perspective

The $16.25 was a whisper to my inner soul. It was a quiet whisper telling me that I could earn money doing something that I enjoyed. If I wanted to earn more I needed to learn and grow more.

If I were a guru of sorts I would tell you my 5 rules to success. However, I’m not a guru and I don’t have 5 rules of success. My rules involve discovering yourself and making you work.

Back to the TopicKeep Writing

Now, let’s bring this ramble back to yesterday’s post. I’m still weak in the knees from my first time of earning over $100 with AdSense. But, I would not have reached that milestone if I gave up after my first year of $16.25.

Earning over $100 in one day is not only a major milestone but it has my hubby and kids asking, “How much have we earned so far today?” Gotta love the family involvement.

Tags:

Category: AdSense, Earning Money, Motivation

1. Luke says:

Very inspiring post. It needs to be experienced i guess.

I see many times people are told what to do and where and how, yet there is strong disbelief in their hearts.

The moment of seeing the first $ – that what makes them work ! It the moment they realize “damn – so it really can be made! – now if i scale this up….”
    Luke recently posted…Online school for kidsMy Profile

2. Stacy says:

You always inspire me so much! I am holding on to this: “My rules involve discovering yourself and making you work.” I feel as if just now I have found what I love to do, and it is paying off more quickly than I envisioned. I know the next step will be to start niche blogs and such, I know I need to diversify, but for now I’m in love with what I am doing. It’s not often I can say that – I love my job – but now I do – and you helped propel me to finally take action!
    Stacy recently posted…The lowdown on Bentley Williams’ return to ABC’s ‘The Bachelorette’ 2011My Profile

Stacy, I’m thrilled that you’re happy with your job. Over the weekend I had quite a few conversations about being happy in what we do. It’s unfortunate but most folks are doing what they do because of the money and not because of the joy.

I’ve found I had to change my lingo a bit when I talk about what I do. If I tell people that I’ve got to leave because I have to go and play on the computer, I get “that look.” You know the look of, “She should get a job” type of look.

However, if I say, I’ve gotta run because I’ve got some computer work to catch up on, then they give me the understanding look of, “We all have to pay our bills.” So it’s acceptable to work on the computer but not play on the computer.

Little do they know that my work is my play. I’m on the computer doing what I want to do and what I used to do for free. It doesn’t get any better than that. Welcome to the “I love my job” club Stacy. Isn’t it great! 🙂

• MartinaJ says:

I have been trying to earn an income online for some time now and I have failed on many attempts. Thus the reason I have not said anything to my husband. When he sees me on the computer, Lord knows what he is thinking. It is my intention that when I get my first cheque, I want to show him proof that the potential to earn an online income is very real!
        MartinaJ recently posted…May 30, Passive IncomeMy Profile

I know exactly how you feel. I had to curb my enthusiasm with my family until the money started coming in regularly. Now, they don’t mind it so much when I talk shop. They know that my “playing” online helps us to afford some of the things we enjoy.

3. Cleaning out my old blogs is important for me because it allows me to see what worked and what didn’t. I love that. It’s kind-of like a road map to the future.
    Alina Bradford recently posted…Why Social Media is More Important Than Google SearchMy Profile

4. Gina K says:

Thanks for the continued encouragement. It’s fun to wake up in the morning and find a fish or two on the line (or as is the case on Cape Cod, a few lobsters in the trap!). I’m almost to my first $100 in adsense and have sold 10 of my little books this year (my first). Each bit helps.

• MartinaJ says:

After reading the initial post I decided to check my Adsense and I am happy to report that I am very close to my first $100.00 earning! I am so excited. It has been slow reaching to this point but I have great hopes that things will get even better as long as I continue what I am doing.
      MartinaJ recently posted…May 30, Passive IncomeMy Profile

It takes a while to get the first $100, but after you get it the first time the second time seems to come a little quicker.

5. kidgas says:

I thought of this question and now that Eve alludes to it, thought I should ask. You state that you create blogs on things you enjoy, etc. How many blogs do you have? I suspect they all earn differing amounts but contribute somehow to your success. My suspicion is that you need to throw many niches against the wall to see what sticks.
    kidgas recently posted…I Just Need Twelve Years and Ten DollarsMy Profile

I recently did some house cleaning and am letting a few of my blogs go. You know its time to let it go when after a year you only have one post, an about page and a privacy page.

Now after housecleaning I have 18 sites. Two of the 18 are not money making blogs and thus don’t have ads on them. Out of the remaining 16 sites, 4 bring in the bulk of the money. The remaining blogs earn each month but nowhere near the amount of the top 4.

I’m keeping all of them because I enjoy each of the topics. Some are seasonal in nature (such as my pool blog) so I only add content during the appropriate season. Others I add content throughout the year on a regular basis (like NJFM), while others I only add content when the mood strikes (like my health blog).

I look at blogs as the new content site, sort of. It takes many articles to earn decent income with content sites. The same goes with blogging, unless you’re fortunate enough to hit a home run right out of the box.

6. Eve says:

Yeah, I second the thanks, Felicia. I created my first niche blog in July, 2009, and it took almost 2 years for it to make $100. Late last year, when I saw the writing on the wall with eHow.com, I started creating a few more little niche websites. The slow, slow earnings can be so discouraging. SO discouraging. Thank you for the reminder that you didn’t get to $100 a day overnight.
    Eve recently posted…How to Get Your Face Back After You Lose It In KoreaMy Profile

7. Definitely always good to remind yourself and beginners that it’s a marathon and not a sprint and that the entire process takes time.
    Master Dayton recently posted…The Keyword Academy ReviewMy Profile

8. Felicia,
    I’ve been writing online for less than a year, primarily for textbroker and PPM content sites, and the candid nature of your stories has been inspirational. You’ve done a great deal to motivate me, to remind me that anything worthwhile takes time and perseverance, and that hardships should be taken in stride and be overcome. Thanks for the reminder.
    Douglas Prater recently posted…The Lion of Oz and the Courage to WriteMy Profile

9. Bill Swan says:

And once again you prove that the great big names all came from little humble beginnings – just like everyone else reading along.

10. kidgas says:

Thanks for backing up. It is encouraging to see that. BTW, I am up to 29 cents so far today.
    kidgas recently posted…I Just Need Twelve Years and Ten DollarsMy Profile

11. ShelleyD says:

I finally started writing again about something I desperately want to learn. I’m enjoying both aspects: writing and photography. At the moment, I’m not looking to make money, I’m only looking forward to gaining more experience behind the lens. Where that will lead, only the Lord knows.

On another note, several years ago I joined the 30Day Challenge with Ed Dale. The premise is to teach people how to earn money on the internet. Ed says if you can earn $1, you can earn a living. I believe it. It taught me a lot and it was (and still is) free.

I’m looking to refocus and try again to find a niche market. It’s all in timing and perspective.

Thanks again.

Thanks for reminding us all of your modest beginning. I’ve been here long enough to know you started slow but seeing the contrast between the first year numbers and $100/day is really inspirational!
    Crystal recently posted…Laminate Floor CareMy Profile