Need a little writing motivation? Why not sign up for NJFM's Motivation for Writers Newsletter. You'll receive a dose of motivation delivered to your inbox every Monday.

Please Pass the Smelling Salts

Smelling SaltI’m writing this post while lying down on my living room floor with a cold compress on my head.

This morning I did my usual stat checking leaving my AdSense stat check for last. When I checked my AdSense numbers I found I had earned over $100 yesterday (that’s when my knees buckled)! Oh my!

Gotta Get Busy

Such stellar earnings, increases the urgency of generating other sources of income. I’ve learned from eHow and Panda that the internet is a fickle beast. I’ve already been through one round of disappointment. I’m not too anxious to go through it again.

Although I’ll continue to do the bare minimum it takes to keep my online ventures running and profitable, the bulk of my time will be spent diversifying and creating alternative income sources.

To that end, I’ll be spending most of my time finishing up a few books and developing a learning resource that should be a win-win situation to all involved (more on that as things develop).

In the meanwhile, I’m discovering there is life after Panda and content farms.

Update: It seems that my earnings are affected by Panda 2.2.  My earnings started to increase right around the time of its roll out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: AdSenseEarning Money

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (25)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kristine says:

Congrats! I’ve never gotten near $100. I am routinely way over double digits. I think my reaction will be the same as you when I have a $100 day.

2. ShelleyD says:

For some reason, Adsense intimidates me. Yes. I cannot seem to get the hang of it. People are probably laughing at me-I’m laughing at me. Somewhere between signing up and getting it to my website, it falls into a dark hole.
    ShelleyD recently posted..The Door of Opportunity

AdSense takes a little getting used to. I was confused too when I first signed up. Take the time to play around with it a bit. I think it’s worth the time investment.

• Would you please expand on “play around with it a bit.” Are you talking about ad placement within the site or is there more to it than that?

Hmm, do I detect a need to limit your ability to play? Play around a bit means just that. For me, I play around with things to the point of almost breaking them so I can find my own limits and boundaries. Google has some rules and limitations and I make sure not to exceed them, but everything else is fair game.

Sorry Crystal, I’m not going to place a damper on your creativity. ;)

• Tashana says:

Shelley, I feel your angst. I’m that way with submitting to Suite101, and starting my blog.

I admire anyone who makes writing part of their every day vocabulary. I’m slowly working on that. I try and write every day to exercise my intellectual muscles; so when I get ready to launch my blog the behaviors will already be in place.

3. Tashana says:

Okay, time to really get serious now – lol…You’ll be happy to know, and I’m happy to report, that I’ve actually made my first $30 on Textbroker.

That’s huge for me, because it took me a while to write anything. Now that I’m seeing that this thing is really serious business, I’m going to put some concentrated efforts behind more of these sites.

I am also working on my website. That process is a little slow moving, especially since my laptop decided to perform its own burial ritual. So, she’s been in the laptop recovery ward for over a week, and I’m just really concerned that she will lose all her wits by the time they fix her up and bring her home. It’s so sad…lol..

Felicia thanks for continuing to share your success, big and small. You really keep us encouraged.
    Tashana recently posted..Build a better boss the Google way

Tashana, that’s a huge step and I’m very (very) happy to hear that you got off of the fence and are now making money.

I wish I could send a virtual get well card to your computer. LOL. I love the way you described its condition. Hope it recovers soon. In the meanwhile, it sounds like you’re really serious about your online writing career. Keep up the good work.

BTW, my computer sounds like it’s catching a bit of what yours had.

• Tashana says:

Well, I’ll be sure not to send any viruses your way – lol…My computer is still AWOL, and I’m sure they’ll hold her for a substantial ransom – lol..

I’m a little dismayed with Textbroker though. For the past couple of days there have been no 2 or 3 level requests. I sent a note to customer service about rating my articles (because I haven’t received a rating in over a month). So, we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

In your experience (or any of the other professionals here), is this normal for TB? I have yet to garner up the nerve to submit to Suite101 again; but, I’m working on it. I got really discouraged but I’ll work through that.

Is there a Suite101 guide out there anywhere?

Tashana, I can’t help you with TB since I don’t write for them. As for Suite, it seems the New Rules Committee is constantly setting new rules. I’m not sure if there is a guide out there for them. My rule of thumb is to write engaging, reader-focused content. It works for me, it should work for you too.

4. Angela says:

Congratulations, Felicia! What an incredible earnings report. It always brightens my day when I get an alert that you’ve posted a new blog entry. I’m learning from each and every one of your experiences. Looking forward to the launch of your new books.
    Angela recently posted..I Believe

5. Deanna says:

That is wonderful! Your hard work is paying off for you. I look forward to an Adsense day like that! :)
    Deanna recently posted..Mid-Year Report for 2011 – How My Year is Going

Congrats, Felicia! Your continued and varied success is an inspiration to us all. How cool that you have prospered despite the Panda setback that sent so many back to square one. What I especially love is that you follow your own path and forge ahead despite advice from “experts” on how to be a success. And you’re a success anyway:)
    Crystal recently posted..Laminate Floor Care

7. Loretta says:

In one word — Congratulations,Felicia! Oh, that was two words. Here are two more — good job.
    Loretta recently posted..A Message to Young Men: Put a Belt On It

8. Will says:

Felicia, in a nutshell, is the subject matter of your sites based on your expertise, keyword search volume, cost per click, some other factor(s), or all of the above?

Will, I tried all of the above and found out that my most successful sites are based on experience. When I say experience, I’m not talking about long-standing knowledge. I’m talking about as I become interested in a topic and research it, I create a blog about it.

• Michael says:

This is great advice. I think going forward this will be how bloggers and webmasters can find the most success. Not only do you get the advantage of writing about things that interest you, that will make your writing more interesting to read. Plus you won’t be trying to game the system so Google updates and the like should help you instead of hurt you.

9. Mandy says:

The bare minimum online? You do still see your own sites as good, potential money makers, right?

I’m diversifying offline, too. I’m looking for business clients in my local community. But, mostly it’s because I find the virtual world a little too vacuous. I need some people interaction!

But, if you still recommend doing so, I’d like to get my own sites up and running.

Oh Mandy, yes. I do still see them as potential money makers. I couldn’t have earned over $100 without them (just checked my Amazon numbers and I had 22 orders yesterday). It’s just that I tend to spend a lot of time playing around with them. Rather than playing online, I’m going to do what needs to be done and then get on to the business of writing books.

I strongly recommend that you get a few sites up and running. As a matter of fact, after reading this response, I suggest you start brainstorming your own sites. You can do both, have online sites and seek offline clients.

10. kidgas says:

Congrats on the daily total. I made over $3 yesterday and was thrilled. You are right that anything on the internet could change at any time. Developing your own product or working on affiliations is another way to diversify.
    kidgas recently posted..I Just Need Twelve Years and Ten Dollars