Need a little writing motivation? Why not sign up for NJFM's Motivation for Writers Newsletter. You'll receive a dose of motivation delivered to your inbox every Monday.

Small Steps to Success

Steps to SuccessA long time ago I wanted to work from home. So now I do. After I worked from home I realized that I didn’t like the job-like feeling of writing for up-front paying sites, so now I write mainly for sites that pay on the residual model. I then realized I preferred creating my own sites and writing there instead of spending the bulk of my time on someone else’s content site, so now I write mainly for myself.

As time went on, I realized that even with my own sites, there were some I really enjoyed writing for and others not as much. The problem is the not so enjoyable sites are the most lucrative sites. So, I decided to continue writing on those to keep the money coming in while I develop my more enjoyable sites.

Small Steps towards Happiness

Several years ago, I did not up and leave my job (although my job up and left me), and decide to spend my time at home writing about things I enjoyed. Well, actually I did, but it was a progression. You see, when I first started, I had to take baby steps to find my true writing joy, and I’m not so sure I’ve reached nirvana yet.

With each step I took I would ask myself two questions to make sure I was heading in the right direction. The questions were:

• Does this step make me happier than before?Writer
  • Can this change pay the bills?

If the answer was yes to both, then the decision was a no brainer. However, if the answer is yes to one and no to the other, I knew I had to keep one foot planted in the old money-making routine and one step in the new. Not until I could answer yes to both questions would I plant both feet in the new direction.

Time is Precious

The one thing we all have in common is 24 hours a day. What we do with it will affect our enjoyment and money. Because I’m so aware of time and how one wrong choice can result in a monumental waste of time, I’m careful with my decisions. It’s one of the reasons why I’m such a numbers junkie. Sometimes it’s hard to tell that you’re actually moving forward without some cold hard numbers to compare your progress to.

It’s another reason why I try not to sweat the small stuff and attempt to get to the meat of any problem as quickly as possible. After finding out the facts I try to come up with a solution and implement the steps necessary to expediently resolve the issue. I tend not to spend too much time browbeating or speculating about situations I cannot change. My goal is to become a happy, financially secure writer.

Reflection

As I look back from my brick and mortar career up to now, I see an emerging pattern. When I first started working I went from lots of joy and little money to little joy and a lot of money. My job moving to Florida was a blessing in disguise. If it had not moved to Florida, I would still be Small Stepsthere dependent upon the 9-5 world.

Now that I’m self employed, I keep chipping away the built up layers of the cubicle mentality. Freeing myself from the cubicle didn’t free my mind from the mentality. It has taken a long time for me to get to this point.

With each up-front paying site that I no longer write for, each piece of content I place on my own site and each book I write, I’m getting closer and closer to my own nirvana. The pace is a slow one because I have to make sure the money coming in can cover the bills. But, no matter how close or far I am from my goal; each step brings a little more joy, peace and satisfaction. I sure couldn’t say that when I was in the 9-5 world.

Success is all about taking small steps, one step at a time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: MotivationSelf Employed

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (8)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kristine says:

Needed this today. I get caught up in the big picture, and if I’m not there in a few months, get frustrated. I’ve been slowly learning the small steps approach, but I still revert at times.

And, how I wish there were more hours in a day! That phrase has never wrung true as much as it has the past few months.

2. Vanessa says:

Thank you Felicia, your wisdom is so appreciated!

3. Terr says:

Great stuff. I will keep this in mind when I am slaving away, doing my thing. I hit the wall, and I wish I could stop, but bills have to be paid and such. But as I am able to carve out time to do my passion projects, things will shift towards being able to live off of my passions.

I like the point that Kidgas made. We live in an instant gratification world. It’s challenging for me to not get discouraged when I see bloggers and other making money now. But it took them months and years to get to that point.

So, what I’ve learned is that instead of getting discouraged, I need to put my hat in the ring. If I stay discouraged, then more time is wasting, right? I might be lagging behind everyone else on the blogging journey, but I’ll never move forward from a standstill, right?

4. After writing much of the week for a low-paying client that offered me some fun assignments, I’m happy to be reminded that I need to be building my own future.

Of course, I recently wrote hundreds of articles at $15 each for a niche site being started by someone else. He ended the project and reported that he can’t get any traffic for the posts and therefore isn’t making any money from them. I made thousands from him. So in that case, I won and he lost. He owns the content, however, and could still start making money.

Gip
    Gip @ So Much More Life recently posted..Multi-Function vs Single Purpose Devices- Which Are Really Simpler A Guest Post

5. William Tha Great says:

Hey Felicia,

If you take small steps in the right direction there is nothing that’s not within your reach. The thing is that many people give up along the way. For whatever reason they feel too beat down to keep pushing when things aren’t going the way they hoped.

I know I have had my fair share of those moments, but I keep pushing and so should everyone else! The more I write the more my love grows.

Just my 2 cents.

God bless,
    William Veasley
    William Tha Great recently posted..Are You That Person Looking For Handouts

6. Loretta says:

Another inspirational post, Felicia. Like you, my escape from the corporate rat-race was involuntary, but I believe that blessings often come disguised. We just have to know them when we see them.

Being free from the 9-5 shuffle has given me the opportunity to pursue my passion for writing and when I started my first blog that was the icing on the cake. As I have said before, I am not yet making money writing on-line, but sites like NJFM motivate me and keep me doing my homework to that end. I know that eventually I will reap the benefits of my (gratifying) labor, and I thank God every day that I have a small safety net that enables me to indulge my pleasure for writing without having to worry about paying the bills. In the meantime, I am in the process of creating a second blog. Regardless, my goal is to eventually get paid for my writings and I know that it will happen at the time that it should. In the meantime, Felicia, please keep being the Ann Landers of Blogland.
    Loretta recently posted..Stand By Your Weiners

7. kidgas says:

It is easy to forget at times that everyone has to start somewhere. We look at superstar athletes, or business magnates, or celebrities and think they have it so good and easy. But few remember the hours of practice or the 20 hour days that were required to get to that point. Every journey starts somewhere and if you can make it through the first several steps, it gets easier. Too many people quit on the cusp of success. You are not one of them.
    kidgas recently posted..Perfect So Far as an Amazon Affiliate