Need a little writing motivation? Why not sign up for NJFM's Motivation for Writers Newsletter. You'll receive a dose of motivation delivered to your inbox every Monday.

eHow to Remove WCP Articles from Site

eHow

Bye Bye eHow

In the back of our minds we knew it would happen eventually. We always wondered when eHow would no longer offer payouts for the user-generated articles written under the WCP. We no longer have to worry or wonder. That day has come.

eHow has made an offer to purchase the existing articles currently appearing on the eHow site. Writers have two options:

1. They can accept the offer and received payment in two monthly installments via their PayPal account. The first installment will be paid on June 15th and the second on July 15th. Or,
  2. Writers can reject the offer, remove their articles from the eHow site and place them elsewhere.

No matter which option you choose, the articles will stop earning residual income on the eHow site effective May 5, 2011. The offer expires on May 31, 2011.

What was My Decision?

Running with the cashTake the money and run! I have a philosophy of write it and forget it. Because of the nature of being a freelance writer, we spend a lot of time researching and learning. Things that I researched and learned a year ago no longer interests me now. Therefore, once I write it, I forget it.

I only come back to those articles if I have a resurgence of interest in that particular topic area. Even if my interests are sparked again, things change over time and that article I wrote a year ago will either be obsolete or require tweaking to make it current. Spending a lot of time tweaking a 500 word article is not usually worth it to me. Spending a lot of time tweaking a book is a better investment of my time.

My eHow Portfolio

The portfolio of articles I have on eHow were not necessarily my best work. Most of the articles were on topics I was interested in at the time or had a lot of knowledge about. They did not require much research; neither did they take a lot of time to write. The fact that I earned what I did on that base of articles still amazes me. It was a nice ride while it lasted.

How this Development Affects My Earnings

eHow closing down the compensation program and paying us out does have a serious effect on my residual earnings. Instead of earning $90 a day, my daily earnings have dropped to $45 a day. That’s a major drop.Keep Writing

On the flip side, however, I’m happy with my offer and can put it to good use. Although my residuals have taken a hit, my overall financial picture has improved.

Making the Best of It

I earned a lot of money from eHow and I learned a lot while earning from eHow. I’m taking my earnings and my learnings and am moving onto the next adventure.

The one thing I know for sure is that quality and diversity always wins. Quality seems to survive algorithm changes, content site smack downs and even writer compensation program closures. Diversity gives us a place to hide when we’re licking our wounds coming up with another writing strategy.

I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have my own blogs to fall back on.

Going Forward

I’m still on my residual income quest. The eHow payout has given me a bit of freedom. I no longer wonder how long the eHow gravy train will last. It’s over. I’m now focusing more on my books and my blogs. How about you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: eHowFeaturedLegitimateOpportunities

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (76)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Eve says:

“Write your life.” That IS really good advice. I think I might be missing a few markets simply because I haven’t really looked at ALL aspects of my life; thanks again for being so encouraging and inspiring. :)
    Eve recently posted..Why Work From Home?

2. Eve says:

FELICIA! ” … I spent building new sites that have (as of 5 days ago) matched and surpassed my eHow income.”

WOW!!!

My sole goal is to create enough content on my own sites so that the income matches what I was making monthly on eHow. I’m only 1/10th there. Congratulations on meeting that goal so quickly. I am extremely impressed. :)

LOL! Eve, your comment made me laugh. :)

I think the reason I was able to replace the income was because I ventured into new territory. I think my inability to stick with one subject for too long (except for NJFM) opened the doors to new residual opportunities. My new blog topics are very different from my eHow article topics.

My suggestion to you is to write your life. I write articles about new purchases (I bought a set of computer speakers which almost satisfy my needs) to problems with my new bank. I also write about things that I’m unfamiliar with but am willing to research and learn. Learning new topics bring me the most joy (and money). I’m the eternal student.

I’m finding that the secret formula to earning money online is to be real with your readers, explore your interests (and I mean all of your interests) and employ some basic SEO.

3. Susan says:

I am one of the few that did not sell their ehow articles. Instead I tweaked them enough to bring them back to life. Published them on various websites including my blogs and I am pleased with the earnings that I have received. For me it was a good decision. Last month I was very close to reaching my eHow income.

Susan, it just goes to show that the Internet is not a “one size fits all” money-making venue. I’m glad that reworking your articles worked for you.

4. Michael says:

I’m somewhat surprised you didn’t decide to pull the articles and place them somewhere else since you have the blogging skills already. I understand what you said about not wanting to revisit stuff that no longer interests you, but couldn’t you have simply dropped them into a new site? Even if it was just a catch all site I would think you could over time earn more that way than with a one time payout.

Then again, I guess if the offer was good enough it makes more sense. Anyway, either way I’m glad you are happy with the offer and the choice you made. I’m also happy for you that you no longer need sites like eHow to earn your residual income these days.
    Michael recently posted..Demand Studios Getting Rid of How to Articles?

I understand where you’re coming from, Michael, but too many times I see talented writers spending their time milking, moving and focusing on previously written content. Maybe it’s my limited attention span, but I find that the Internet is fraught with new adventures and I prefer to move onto the next.

In this case I made the best decision because the time I would have spent moving, tweaking and building a site around my over 300 eHow articles, I spent building new sites that have (as of 5 days ago) matched and surpassed my eHow income.

5. Kara says:

Did anyone get the email today about the deadline being expected? Just curious because this email said to expect “buyout payment” by “July” 15th. It doesn’t mention the 2 payment split that was previously mentioned. Anyone know if this means they plan on holding off on giving us a payment in June?

Kara, this is the first I’ve heard of it. Anyone else get the email?

• Kara says:

Thank you for responding Felicia. Someone posted the actual email over on infobarrel and just because of the past I wasn’t quite sure how to interpret it. I know originally it was 6/15 and 7/15 but the email just basically says to expect buyout by 7/15.

Since they extended the offer acceptance date to 6/15 I was concerned for those of us on the 2nd round of offers that it may have delayed our payments.

• Tim says:

No email here.

6. Keith says:

Do you remember when they said the first payment will be made? I can’t find the email they sent.

7. Dave says:

I guess Im happy with the payout…not sure how much they made but the 500 bucks will come in handy…..not bad for 100 articles for a 3 year period I guess.