eHow to Remove WCP Articles from Site

| May 6, 2011 | 76 Comments

Bye Bye eHow

In the back of our minds we knew it would happen eventually. We always wondered when eHow would no longer offer payouts for the user-generated articles written under the WCP. We no longer have to worry or wonder. That day has come.

eHow has made an offer to purchase the existing articles currently appearing on the eHow site. Writers have two options:

1. They can accept the offer and received payment in two monthly installments via their PayPal account. The first installment will be paid on June 15th and the second on July 15th. Or,
  2. Writers can reject the offer, remove their articles from the eHow site and place them elsewhere.

No matter which option you choose, the articles will stop earning residual income on the eHow site effective May 5, 2011. The offer expires on May 31, 2011.

What was My Decision?

Running with the cashTake the money and run! I have a philosophy of write it and forget it. Because of the nature of being a freelance writer, we spend a lot of time researching and learning. Things that I researched and learned a year ago no longer interests me now. Therefore, once I write it, I forget it.

I only come back to those articles if I have a resurgence of interest in that particular topic area. Even if my interests are sparked again, things change over time and that article I wrote a year ago will either be obsolete or require tweaking to make it current. Spending a lot of time tweaking a 500 word article is not usually worth it to me. Spending a lot of time tweaking a book is a better investment of my time.

My eHow Portfolio

The portfolio of articles I have on eHow were not necessarily my best work. Most of the articles were on topics I was interested in at the time or had a lot of knowledge about. They did not require much research; neither did they take a lot of time to write. The fact that I earned what I did on that base of articles still amazes me. It was a nice ride while it lasted.

How this Development Affects My Earnings

eHow closing down the compensation program and paying us out does have a serious effect on my residual earnings. Instead of earning $90 a day, my daily earnings have dropped to $45 a day. That’s a major drop.Keep Writing

On the flip side, however, I’m happy with my offer and can put it to good use. Although my residuals have taken a hit, my overall financial picture has improved.

Making the Best of It

I earned a lot of money from eHow and I learned a lot while earning from eHow. I’m taking my earnings and my learnings and am moving onto the next adventure.

The one thing I know for sure is that quality and diversity always wins. Quality seems to survive algorithm changes, content site smack downs and even writer compensation program closures. Diversity gives us a place to hide when we’re licking our wounds coming up with another writing strategy.

I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have my own blogs to fall back on.

Going Forward

I’m still on my residual income quest. The eHow payout has given me a bit of freedom. I no longer wonder how long the eHow gravy train will last. It’s over. I’m now focusing more on my books and my blogs. How about you?

Tags: ,

Category: eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

1. Eve says:

“Write your life.” That IS really good advice. I think I might be missing a few markets simply because I haven’t really looked at ALL aspects of my life; thanks again for being so encouraging and inspiring. :)
    Eve recently posted…Why Work From Home?My Profile

2. Eve says:

FELICIA! ” … I spent building new sites that have (as of 5 days ago) matched and surpassed my eHow income.”

My sole goal is to create enough content on my own sites so that the income matches what I was making monthly on eHow. I’m only 1/10th there. Congratulations on meeting that goal so quickly. I am extremely impressed. :)

LOL! Eve, your comment made me laugh. :)

I think the reason I was able to replace the income was because I ventured into new territory. I think my inability to stick with one subject for too long (except for NJFM) opened the doors to new residual opportunities. My new blog topics are very different from my eHow article topics.

My suggestion to you is to write your life. I write articles about new purchases (I bought a set of computer speakers which almost satisfy my needs) to problems with my new bank. I also write about things that I’m unfamiliar with but am willing to research and learn. Learning new topics bring me the most joy (and money). I’m the eternal student.

I’m finding that the secret formula to earning money online is to be real with your readers, explore your interests (and I mean all of your interests) and employ some basic SEO.

3. Susan says:

I am one of the few that did not sell their ehow articles. Instead I tweaked them enough to bring them back to life. Published them on various websites including my blogs and I am pleased with the earnings that I have received. For me it was a good decision. Last month I was very close to reaching my eHow income.

Susan, it just goes to show that the Internet is not a “one size fits all” money-making venue. I’m glad that reworking your articles worked for you.

4. Michael says:

I’m somewhat surprised you didn’t decide to pull the articles and place them somewhere else since you have the blogging skills already. I understand what you said about not wanting to revisit stuff that no longer interests you, but couldn’t you have simply dropped them into a new site? Even if it was just a catch all site I would think you could over time earn more that way than with a one time payout.

Then again, I guess if the offer was good enough it makes more sense. Anyway, either way I’m glad you are happy with the offer and the choice you made. I’m also happy for you that you no longer need sites like eHow to earn your residual income these days.
    Michael recently posted…Demand Studios Getting Rid of How to Articles?My Profile

I understand where you’re coming from, Michael, but too many times I see talented writers spending their time milking, moving and focusing on previously written content. Maybe it’s my limited attention span, but I find that the Internet is fraught with new adventures and I prefer to move onto the next.

In this case I made the best decision because the time I would have spent moving, tweaking and building a site around my over 300 eHow articles, I spent building new sites that have (as of 5 days ago) matched and surpassed my eHow income.

5. Kara says:

Did anyone get the email today about the deadline being expected? Just curious because this email said to expect “buyout payment” by “July” 15th. It doesn’t mention the 2 payment split that was previously mentioned. Anyone know if this means they plan on holding off on giving us a payment in June?

Kara, this is the first I’ve heard of it. Anyone else get the email?

• Kara says:

Thank you for responding Felicia. Someone posted the actual email over on infobarrel and just because of the past I wasn’t quite sure how to interpret it. I know originally it was 6/15 and 7/15 but the email just basically says to expect buyout by 7/15.

Since they extended the offer acceptance date to 6/15 I was concerned for those of us on the 2nd round of offers that it may have delayed our payments.

• Tim says:

No email here.

6. Keith says:

Do you remember when they said the first payment will be made? I can’t find the email they sent.

7. Dave says:

I guess Im happy with the payout…not sure how much they made but the 500 bucks will come in handy…..not bad for 100 articles for a 3 year period I guess.

8. leigh peterson says:

When I log in to ehow, I see how much my articles made but I can’t read the articles to take them. Anyone know how I can get my articles back? :-(

9. Susan says:

Well I finally heard back and here is their message: Vinodh, May-13

Please be aware if you accept this offer, we will own the copyright of all the photos included in your articles. If you do not own the copyright to the photos you already own, please delete them.

Assuming that the photos included in your articles are of your family, you may no longer use the images for commercial reasons. However, you can use them for personal use.

eHow Team
    Susan recently posted…Herbal Sleep RemedyMy Profile

10. Karen says:

I had seven articles that were published on the eHow website that were either going to be deleted or I could transfer them over. Now, when I log into my account, I see only two articles. And these are drafts of articles I thought about publishing but never did. What Happened?

Wow, Karen, I don’t know what happened. I made it a habit to backup my articles right after publication. Once I was presented with the offer, I took it and ran. I never looked back so I’m not sure what’s going on over at eHow.

• Virginia Allain says:

it seems that the eHow article sweeps (purges) are still going on in the middle of all this. You are now free to post the articles elsewhere like Seekyt or Squidoo or Hubpages, etc.

11. Francis says:

I totally agree with you Felicia. It’s been many years since I contributed to eHow and but I kept getting a monthly payout. The passive income was great but it’s time to move on to something else. Like you, I’m taking the money.

I’ve had nine of 24 deleted and it appears they’re going from the oldest forward, so I may well lose more. But my offer is unchanged at this point. I already said if they just wanted the earners, they were welcome to them – so maybe they’ll delete all the ones I wasn’t willing to sell:)

On another note, I ran across some of my eHow content plagiarized on Not sure how much is there but others might want to check it out to see if their work (from eHow or elsewhere) is being stolen, as well.
    Crystal recently posted…How Flexible Are YouMy Profile

13. petulantM says:

After I removed photos to which I wanted to retain the rights, some of the articles were swept. Actually, 12 of my articles were swept (some that had photos removed and some that didn’t). Since those no longer appear under “my articles,” I believe eHow is not interested in purchasing the rights to those articles.

If you haven’t already accepted the offer, you may want to wait until the deadlines approaches, as there may be more article sweeps.

14. Christina Crowe says:

Hey Felicia,

I just found out about the new change today – and let me tell you, I’m pretty upset. First eHow removes an article that was earning the bulk of my income in the beginning of April. Since the article was removed, my income decreased drastically from $400+ a month to $150+ a month.

Now I’m hearing that they’ll be removing their writer compensation program completely. I got to admit, I did see it coming; I was just telling my boyfriend a few months ago that Demand Media was slowly wasting away.

But once I checked my inbox and saw that email, it hit me like a dagger. I honestly don’t know what to do at this point – but I’m leaning more towards just accepting the money and moving on. At least now I know where my priorities lay, and I don’t think I can ever write for Demand Studios again and feel the same level of security as before.

Christina Crowe recently posted…What’s Your Biggest Blogging Business ChallengeMy Profile

Christina I know how you feel. I think eHow issued a wake-up call to all of us. We started to become too complacent because we had the money coming in. At least I know I had.

I think you might need to take a little time to lick your wounds, regroup and come up with a new game plan. I’ve been to your blog and know that you are a creative and talented writer. I have all the confidence that you will rebound from this. It just takes time and effort.

As the old saying goes what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. After having undergone this particular setback, I think we are all a little stronger. We are learning that we need to depend more heavily on ourselves and possibly each other than on content sites.

• Oh, sorry you just learned about this, Christina! I know it comes as a blow to the monthly residual income bottom line, but what about turning it around and using the money (assuming you accept) to build your income platform? You could buy a niche site, domain names, hire a freelance writer, purchase software, etc.

As big a blow as this is to my own monthly income, I’m looking at it positively and have already re-invested a few hundred dollars into my business.

Best of luck whatever you decide!
      Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…Niche Site Profits April 2011My Profile

• Crystal says:

I’m sorry, Christina. I thought you might be unaware beings you hadn’t chimed in. Best to you with your future endeavors – based on your performance to date, I know you will emerge from this setback stronger than ever:)
      Crystal recently posted…How Flexible Are YouMy Profile

15. Susan says:

Today a friend contacted me and told me she deleted her images and then accepted the buyout offer (same day). I asked her if she waited 24 hours to make sure that the images were deleted from her articles. She went to check and found that some of the images were deleted and others were not. For anyone who needs to delete images I would suggest that you double check to make sure that they are deleted before you accept the offer. You have until May accept the offer there is no rush. It would be wise to make sure that images are removed from your articles. Note: the stock images from Freerange stock and other image sites, even images with CCL…Wikipedia you do not own these images so they must be deleted. Hope this helps.
    Susan recently posted…Five Month Old Kitten MiscarriageMy Profile

• Susan, I’m not sure this is accurate. Royalty-free photos and those with CCL (creative common licenses) used according to owners’ terms are allowed on eHow and nowhere in the offer or terms of the offer agreement were writers told to remove such photos.

My understanding is that the only photos that need to be removed are those for which the writer did NOT have permission to use, or ones they own and do not wish to sell to eHow/ Demand.
      Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…WriterGigs Residual Income sans eHowMy Profile

• Susan says:

Marie: I must tell you the entire image deletion has not been very clear. My comment was based on what I was told by another writer and I was merely trying to be helpful.

When I downloaded the images from Freerangestock I told the owner where I was using the image and I am sure they are fine as long as the image stays with the said article, however I am not sure that they would be fine if the said image was placed in the photo pool at Demand Media. I do not own the copyright on the freerangestock image and the the contract that eHow sent me states I must own copyright on all photos. See bellow:

• You own all copyrights in your WCP articles, including any photos used in your WCP articles;
        Susan recently posted…Herbal Sleep RemedyMy Profile

Susan, I agree with Maria on this one. Many of us used royalty-free photos from the likes of and Stock.xchng. Personally, I stayed away from photos that required permission/approval from the photo’s owner.

Rather than continue a debate on the issue of the photos, I’ve requested clarification from eHow on the subject. Once I get a response I’ll post it here.

16. Vee says:

Re: Photos
    I was told by Ehow support that Ehow will own the copyrights of all the photos that are included in our articles if the offer was accepted. If we did not own the copyright to the images, we needed to delete them.

It was also stated that if any photos were of my family, I could no longer use the images for commercial use, but I could still use them for personal use.

17. Char says:

I have to say that I am too Happy with my payout, while I know many others may have gotten more than me my payout was close to $1,000 dollars and I only had one high paying article.

Char recently posted…Stretchmark’s After Baby- and PhotoShopped Photo’sMy Profile

18. I have gotten an offer. The tech department contacted me. I’m waiting for eHow to send me a new password, though, since I can’t log in anymore.
    Alina Bradford recently posted…How to Monetize a BlogMy Profile

19. Susan says:

Regarding images: I too had images that I did not want to sell and tried to delete but found that I could not remove the images from my articles. I contacted the eHow help desk and was given a link to the message on my console which stated that the offer was for a lump sum. My guess is that the generous offer for my content was due to the images, backlinks and quality. I was not willing to surrender my family images so I declined the offer. It was a difficult decision to make as the money would have been a great help but family images can’t be sold.
    Susan recently posted…Lily Growing TipsMy Profile

20. Vee says:

Not able to remove photos even after that attempt, but that is okay. I have sent an email to tech support to see how I can handle the matter.

RE: Confidentiality clause
    Can someone please explain the clause to me. Are we expected to be silent even that an offer was made or are they just saying we can’t talk about the amount we were offered, because I see people online talking about what they were offered. Confused. Please help me understand.

Well, in my book, confidentiality means we zip our lips. When I signed my agreement, it was killing me that I couldn’t place a post on this blog telling everyone that eHow was going to close down the program. Instead I had to write posts on diversification and finding new venues.

I see confidentiality as we’re not supposed to divulge sensitive information, so I won’t. Maybe the folks who are talking declined the offer and don’t feel they are obligated to keep quiet.

This is tough for me because I’m such a blabber mouth when it comes to my strategy and my earnings. You guys know what I make and how I make it. This confidentiality thing is tough. :)

• I echo your thoughts completely, Felicia. I would love to share more info but I signed the NDA in March and simply can’t.
        Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…End of an Era- Goodbye to the eHow WCPMy Profile

• I wondered about that, Felicia – I thought all the diversification reminders must be coming from somewhere specific. I can see why those who took the offer are bound by the confidentiality clause and I will not divulge the exact amount of mine even though I’m not accepting and therefore not bound by it. Seems odd to me that DS would even put confidential info in an offer if they really wanted to make sure it remained confidential. That’s like telling someone a secret and saying they can’t tell anyone without getting agreement before you tell. Plus, with all the offers going out, they had to know that many people would run screaming to their keyboards with the sole intention of spreading the details far and wide. Anyway, it’s a new day and a new game. I for one am looking forward, not back:)
        Crystal @ Custom Memorial Quilts recently posted…A Gift from DougMy Profile

21. Jean says:

How do we remove photos from our articles. Every time I go to edit, it says after I delete the image, that the article is updated, but there is never any change.

22. Amanda says:

I just want to point out that the serious writers got their payouts about 2 months ago – that is when Demand studios first started approaching people that were the top tier. Those who did take those offers got nothing short of thousands. I know because I am one of them.

Many people need to move on and really stop it with the drama on this subject. Yes, we won’t have cash (those of us with an early payout stopped getting monthly cash 8 weeks ago and haven’t died) and yes, we have to write hard again, but frankly only time makes writers better.

Take your words to Gather or Examiner and start again. Be more unique in your efforts and grab the chance to grow. In fact every time you think to complain, write an article. In no time you will be making more and consider eHow a learning experience. This change is good for us all as it weeds out those who aren’t serious and makes us stronger. As for the whiners — yeah, I got nothing. God loves whiners too.

Amanda, although a group of writers were contacted 2 months ago, I wouldn’t differentiate the former and later group by calling the first group “serious writers” and the latter not.

I was in the former group and I believe I was in that group not so much because of my serious writing (because some of my topics were really pretty cheesy), but because my articles earned a lot of money. One of my eHow articles, which I wrote in about 15 minutes, earned just shy of $8,000 the lasts time I checked. Unfortunately, I no longer earn on that article since I accepted their offer.

I believe we all will miss the monthly residual payment showing up in our PayPal accounts. That being said, I do agree with you in that complaining won’t change things. If we did it once, we can do it again. This is just a bump in the road.

If you’re categorizing serious writers as those who won’t give up verses those who do, then I agree that this eHow change will separate the serious writers from the complainers. The serious writers will find new avenues and the complainers will, well, they’ll complain.

So, I disagree and agree with your comments.

• Ria says:

I too agree with Felicia and disagree with Amanda about the first round of offers being only for the “serious” writers. My theory is that the first round was simply reserved for writers who had hundreds of article.

From everything I’ve heard about the first and second rounds, it seems that those who were given offers in March had 300+ articles, while those who were given offers in May have 50 or fewer. So naturally, those with more articles would have been offered more money. And it makes sense from a business point of view to handle the larger accounts first.

• Doban says:

I had over 300 articles on eHow but did not get an offer until May. I consider myself a good writer and a serious writer and I had an acceptance rate of over 97% at eHow. However, the difference may be the type of articles I wrote. I wrote mostly on behavior and mental health. My articles tended to have a good click rate because people are always searching for more info, but they had a lower cpc. Therefore, they did not earn as much. It was still enough to pay all my utilities and buy groceries each month, but not nearly as much as some were earning. I am thinking the timing of the offer had more to do with the earnings of the articles. I sold mine because I do not know of other sites that allow previously published content and I am not interested in maintaining my own site right now. If I am going to completely rewrite, I can do that whether I sell or not.

23. Kara says:

I forgot to add that some did not receive emails but did find details of an offer when logging in to their eHow accounts. So definitely double check so that you can 1) save your content or 2) Accept or decline the offer.

24. Kara says:

They are getting rid of everyone who was a contributor of the WCP. However, not every one is receiving an offer for their content. Those who do not receive an offer will simply have their content deleted around the same times as those who declined the offer.

25. I took my money and ran!
    Mandy Robinson recently posted…Quicktate TranscriptionMy Profile

26. Shari says:

Felicia, I took the buy out because I know I will do better than what I contributed to eHow over the last two years. I have learned so much from the best forums ever at eHow! (I love you guys!) I have made so many friends from eHow who all share the same passion, residual income! I’m disappointed that eHow did not follow through on their promise to pay writers in ‘perpetuity’ but that alone put me on the fast track to being loyal only to myself. But, they gave me the kick start to get it going! PS your side bars get in the way of the CAPTCHA code!

27. Virginia Allain says:

I hope that many of the eHow forum friendships will continue on despite the way it has ended. Some of the writers have migrated to Squidoo and have been getting settled in. I’m happy there.

It will be interesting to see what new opportunities open up now that we’ve “let go” of our addiction to eHow.
    Virginia Allain recently posted…Meet the Influx of Writers to Squidoo from eHowMy Profile

28. Joyce Mann says:

I am more confused than ever. I only have 45 articles at eHow. Their offer isn’t anything worth bragging about. My original plan was to do nothing, therefore decline by default. But now some friends tell me that Demand can still use my articles if I don’t personally delete them first. If we decline, my understanding is that Demand will delete them, that we retain the copyright and then can repost them word-for-word at another site. I have a half dozen articles that I really love and would prefer to find new homes for them. I am probably one of the few people in the world to write a personal how-to called “How to Fight Cancer with Humor.”
    Joyce Mann recently posted…Planning a Group CruiseMy Profile

If you decline their offer, you can place the articles elsewhere. I believe their intent is to remove the articles from their site anyway.

29. Joey Brown says:

I have the same thoughts as you after thinking the whole buyout thing through. eHow was my first online writing adventure and a lot of my early articles were not the best. I learned a lot there and uses a few of my own pics, but nothing that I would need to publish anywhere else. I have written on same subjects with different content elsewhere, and isn’t that what writing is all about, anyway? We research and put it into our own words. Even our life stories can change in content, but I understand the people who have valuable pictures on their articles. I really don’t think that they want the pictures or most of our content as much as skimming the dross and keeping the gold of all of them. Getty is one of their companies now, so I suspect they will use them for their picture source. It’s too bad they did not give us more time to to go in and get pics and such. Their one day notice was pretty crappy for sure.

My car is in dire need of repair so it is doing me good, even though it’s middle of the road and not a 4 digit offer. Everyone got different offers and I’m sure that was based on ad hits and traffic from the articles.

Do we have to delete backlinks or just where we actually republished the articles? I only backlinked and a couple of people posted links to my articles on their blogs. I doubt they will be spending tons of time looking for those backlinks.

Anyway, Maria has been a great mentor to me and I’m off to a new avenue of my own website and professional looking blogs. Peace everyone!

Joey, you have until the 31st to remove your articles and/or pictures. As far as backlinks go, your current backlinks will most likely link to the eHow home page or where ever they direct the removed articles.

30. I didn’t get an email or an offer. Several of us didn’t. So I’m not sure that they are getting rid of everyone.
    Alina Bradford recently posted…A Welcomed Surprise and Added Income for My Writing BusinessMy Profile

That’s interesting, Alina. It’s so hard to get in contact with the folks over at eHow to ask what’s going on. Hmmm. Maybe your email is on its way? I just assumed that everyone got the email. There might be a technical glitch on their side.

31. Susan says:

Many people took the offer that accumulated up to 4 months of earnings and ran, like you they were not fond of their content as it was published based on what they had researched, their images were uploaded from free stock photo websites and the offer for their work was Awesome. I deleted my content because I wrote from my experience and from skill, I did not research anything. All images were taken as I did the steps. My family was in the images, my pets too. My articles were published over a span of 3 years and in that time I earned well, enough to pay my monthly mortgage. I could not accept the offer, nor could not delete the content from my blogs. I will add my content to my blogs and to Seekyt and I know I will do very well. For those of you, who took the money and ran, please delete all of your spin off articles because if you have a paragraph from the original article Demand Media can accuse you of plagiarism if they want to. Whatever you choose I wish you all the best of luck.

32. Felicia, I also took the buyout. I will re-invest part of that in my business, specifically through outsourcing articles and graphic design for my own websites and blogs.

In the end, eHow’s WCP was an entirely positive experience for me. Now it’s on to bigger and better ventures!

33. kidgas says:

I will be accepting the offer. I am of the same philosophy of write and forget. I can always reproduce a similar article and rewrite it any time. The knowledge is still in my head.

I will hopefully be using the money to get a hosting account and starting up a blog or two. I figure that I will get a full year’s worth of expenses paid for so that I can begin to build up my own sites.
    kidgas recently posted…April Worst Month for 2010 and 2011My Profile

34. I was rather happy with the offer they gave me. At 9 months earnings, that’s a nice little buy out and I can definitely use the cash now to do a little outsourcing and build up my own sites. Plus most those articles I didn’t really care about for many of the same reasons you mentioned, and most my backlinking was done with Ezines, Hubs, InfoBarrels – basically places I can go, remove the backlink, and then link to one of my own pages, so I admit there’s a little bit of “devilish guilt” in knowing eHow will lose almost all the backlinks pointing to the articles they’re buying, but there’s no point in me helping them out when I can use those links elsewhere! If nothing else, the peace of mind from not wondering when the hammer is going to fall is definitely nice. So I’ll take my payout and be happy :)
    Master Dayton recently posted…Freelance Writing 2011- So What NowMy Profile

35. Allison says:

Congrats on all the high offers! I’ve got to say I am quite disappointed in my eHow offer. Despite the fact that those articles were my first online work, they still make a solid, steady monthly income, of which I was offered approximately 3 to 4 months’ worth. It’s irritating at best, but I’ll probably take the money too. As a previous poster pointed out, the articles are unlikely to do as well elsewhere.
    Allison recently posted…Youth Group Powerpoint GamesMy Profile

Allison, sorry about the disappointing offer. eHow was a unique experience. As you mentioned, the articles probably won’t do as well anywhere else as it did on eHow so taking the offer is probably wise.

Rather than a drop of $45/day, I got a drop of about $.45/day. And I’m sure my payout offer compared to yours reflects that:) But I only had about 2 dozen articles and only a handful ever earned anything. So my payout offer was reasonable all things considered but not enough to really tempt me much. Without disclosing the exact figure, it was about 10 months worth of earnings, which is on par with some others I’ve read about. Then again, it far surpasses some of the offers others are complaining about and I guess some folks got no offer at all. So all in all, DMS has the right to do as they please and this is it. Now we all have the right to choose how we react and I like your style, Felicia. It was a great ride – now it’s over and time to move on.

So what’s my plan? Well, I’m going to have to remove my articles but I won’t get to it today as I’m in the middle of finishing a memorial quilt for a customer. My main reason? Photos. Most of my articles were sewing/quilting/craft related and I uploaded many detail pictures for the steps. Were I to accept the offer, I would be selling rights to the pictures as well as the text. That’s the deal breaker for me. We’re talking some pics of the grandkids and photos I’m already using elsewhere. Also, some shots were taken by family members (including my professional photographer SIL), which I have permission to use but certainly not sell. Fortunately, I have places to put nearly every article.

Anyway, the future is before us and it’s time to move forward to find our next great ride.
    Crystal recently posted…A Gift from DougMy Profile

Crystal it makes sense to remove your articles. The pictures alone are worth the effort. Me, on the other hand, I have no emotional attachment to those articles. They served their purpose.

I find it interesting to see the different views on this WCP situation.

• Crystal, you have a month to accept or decline. Why not remove your best photos, or the ones you wish to use elsewhere, and replace with stock photos if applicable, and then accept the offer?

• Crystal says:

Thanks for the idea, Maria. But do you suppose the offer still stands if we start modifying our articles?
        Crystal recently posted…A Gift from DougMy Profile

• Tim says:

I was wondering this aswell. I also have photos that I do not wish to sell to them 😛 Considering I was denied for DS, I’m tempted to take my 3 major earning articles that are relevant to my current blog and post them there. I may not have the pagerank of Ehow (yet 😉 ) but at least my work will stay mine. Plus, it’s kind of fun to think about doing it just to spite them, good buyout offer or not. lol

On the other hand, if we were able to choose certain articles to get a buyout of, I’d be okay with that. I’m just not okay with the few article I have attachment to/put a lot of work into and kept updated from being sold away as well lol.

37. Eve says:

I love your positive thinking. When I got the email, and I saw that they were basically offering me one year’s worth of residual money, but that they themselves will benefit financially indefinitely — well, I was not a happy camper.

I do think that removing my articles and putting them on my own niche sites is not the right thing. I don’t think they’ll get the SEO that they did on ehow. Plus, like you, I’m “over it” in terms of the topics I wrote about under WCP.

So I guess I’ll take the money, too, and just try to forget about it and be grateful for the money they earned.

But will it eat me up a few months from now, especially those high earners? Should I just write new and BETTER articles for those niches that proved so lucrative on ehow?

Eve, I hear what you’re saying. You’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about how much money eHow was making off of your articles. Once the cash exchanges hands, say goodbye and good riddance to those articles. There are so many other ways to make money online.

Actually, I’m rather thankful to eHow. By analyzing the income and subject matter of my eHow articles, I was able to create a few lucrative websites. My eHow articles did the keyword search for me. Although the WCP program is no more, those sites created based off of eHow data are still earning for me.

Would I have liked for the residual earnings to go on forever? Of course! But it didn’t. When I look through some of the articles I wrote on for eHow, the fact that they’re willing to pay for them, amazes me. As I mentioned in my post, it was not my best work.

I look at this as a win-win situation. I feel a sense of freedom now. Except for the one article a month that I have to write for Suite 101, the rest of the income I earn comes from my own sites. So, if Suite, eHow, Associated Content, Examiner or any of the other content sites decides to go belly up, I still have my own stuff.

What eHow did teach me though, is that I need to diversify a bit more. My residual income sources need extend beyond the online world.