Panda and the Lottery

| May 4, 2011

Lottery TicketWhen I stop to think about things, I think of Panda much the same as I feel about the lottery. Personally, I don’t play the lottery, but I’ve watched documentaries on TV about lottery winners. The sad fact is that so many of the lottery winners who were barely making ends meet before winning the lottery, 5 years later are bankrupt and barely making ends meet.

Flipping the Coin

On the other side of the coin, we’ve all heard stories of people who have built businesses, lost everything, built another one, lost everything and did it over and over until they were successful.  According to this post on OnlineCollege.org, Henry Ford went broke 5 times before Ford Motor Company. Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Giesel) received 27 rejections for his first book To Think That I Saw before getting it published. And, get this…Thomas Edison’s teachers told him he was stupid and didn’t expect him to amount to much.

There is a long list of success/failure/success/failure/success stories. The one thing about all of the success/failure/success stories is that each of the famous or successful people never quit when failure hit. They kept going until they were successful again.

PandaMy Chubby Buddy the Panda

Here’s where the Google panda algorithm comes in. We can BMG (bitch/moan/gripe) about our dropping earnings and the content site beat down. We can commiserate and complain and reminisce about the “Good ol’ days.” We can stay in the valley of failure or get up and start climbing the success mountain.

Panda has created a new normal for most of us and I firmly believe that other things are a brewin’ that will make even further changes to our income generation model. Let’s face it, Demand Studios closed down the WCA program about a year after shutting down the WCP program. Things change and we have to adapt and make changes too.

Staying the Course

If you haven’t read Brian Tracy’s book Flight Plan, I suggest you go to the library and borrow it. Get the audio version if you don’t have time to sit and read a book.

In his book he uses a flight analogy. Basically, in any given airline flight, the airplane is off course most of the time. The pilot makes adjustments, sometimes small and sometimes large, to get the plane to its destination on time. It’s similar to driving to the local grocery store to buy groceries. If there were a direct road right through your neighbor’s house and through the local school, you could drive in a straight line to the grocery store.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), there isn’t a straight road. Instead you have to make right and left turns until you reach your destination. If you make a wrong turn, you don’t give up. You manage to turn your car around and navigate until you get to the grocery store. Imagine telling your family, “Oh no, I didn’t buy groceries this week because I made a wrong turn.” Your online career is no different.Rags to Riches

It’s all in the Mind

The lottery winners are broke again because they never changed their poverty mentality. The success/failure/success people are successful because they refused to accept the failure mentality. Online writers who continue to earn money online do so because they don’t give up. Whether it’s a wrong turn or a hungry panda, freelance writers have to keep pushing forward. It’s not always easy and those low income days can be disheartening, but that’s part of the journey. Just keep taking steps towards your destination.

Tags: , ,

Category: Motivation

1. kidgas says:

Another timely post which reminds me of the little engine that could. I remember reading that story many times as a child as well as Dr Seuss. All of the recent changes with Panda and the eHow proposal simply reinforces the fact that developing your own sites is the way to go.
    kidgas recently posted…April Worst Month for 2010 and 2011My Profile

2. Reena says:

Yes Felicia, the offer looks attractive. Although like you, I feel miserable about losing that chunk of money every month. It was like opening Christmas gifts month after month. I have started my own blogs and working on my niche sites. I know the process will be long – at times I log on to my Adsense account and become impatient. But hopefully, one day I’ll make it too. NJFM has been awesome in motivating and keeping the fire in me burning. Thanks for all you do.
    Reena recently posted…Visit CurvyGirls Bridal The New Plus Size Bridal Salon in Northern VirginiaMy Profile

3. Reena says:

Will wait to hear your thoughts about the eHow articles buyout proposal. I am sure you must have received one! 🙂

I love earning residual income and eHow was a large part of it. I knew that one day the golden goose would quit laying the eggs. I wish I had been better prepared, but I’m not unhappy with the eHow settlement. I look at it as a win-win situation. After all, my eHow articles were written in a short period of time with very little research. In other words, I wrote about what I knew and wrote it in the eHow format. My articles didn’t take a lot of research because most of the information was sitting somewhere in my gray matter.

The fact that I earned as much residual income as I did was unexpected. On top of that, to be offered a fair payout for those articles is a win-win situation in my book. Granted, it puts a serious dent in my residual income (which I’ll write about in a later post), but if I did it once, I know I can do it again and so can you.

4. wordchazer says:

If you make a wrong turn, you don’t give up.

Thanks for that, Felicia.

Am applying just that mentality to my current (new) job, where I am still grappling with the vertical learning climb after 2 months. I have a day off in lieu tomorrow so have brought my notebook home and intend to spend the day working through the notes I’ve taken and typing them up. Then on Monday I’m going to show my boss and see if she highlights where I’ve missed information so I can learn some more. I have a review at the end of the week and I’d like to be able to point out accurately what I’ve done and what’s still lacking if I can.
    wordchazer recently posted…Major overhaul of blog aheadMy Profile

Wow, Wordchazer, what a proactive way to approach your job. Your boss, if she’s on the ball, will realize she’s hired a gem. Best of luck with your new job. Sounds like you’re putting your best foot forward.

5. Angela says:

Excellent post and very timely indeed. Thanks Felicia!

6. I was hesitant to become a subscribing reader because NJFM seemed intended for maternal audiences, but your thoughts and experiences seem to be universal to anyone in the writing community. Which is why I am so glad to be a subscriber, seeing NJFM in the mailbox always brings a smile to my face, and even if the post isn’t technical knowledge, then at least it is highly encouraging and inspirational. Thanks for doing it again. The trip to the grocery store analogy sealed the deal for me, you’re right on.

Welcome, Alexander Mark.

When I first started this blog, I wanted to call it “No Traditional Job for Mom” but I realized that title was just too long. Because I’m a mom, it’s called NJFM. If I were a dad, it probably would have been called NJFD, but you’ve discovered that this blog works for both moms and dads. Actually it works for anyone trying to make a living as an online freelance writer.

Glad I’ve been able to provide a bit of motivation for you. Thanks for hanging out with us.

7. Deanna says:

Excellent advice. I think some people just have a more resilient mindset than others. While the many are complaining, the rest are looking for new and better ways to succeed. In the freelance business, if you aren’t willing to adapt to change, you may as well give up and move on to something more stable.
    Deanna recently posted…Call to All Mom Bloggers for HelpMy Profile

Another inspirational post with valuable practical advice thrown in – way to go, Felicia! I really needed this and hope you NEVER stop sharing your thoughts with all of us out here. I’ve got to keep putting one foot in front of the other and make corrections when necessary. See? Not so hard, right? And I think I’ll post Ken’s “persistence, patience and consistency” on the wall above my computer and in my sewing room. I can get one or two a lot of the time but need to make sure I’m embracing all three:)
    Crystal recently posted…Am I Becoming a Vitamin JunkieMy Profile

9. Ken says:

Someone asked me why so many fail at freelance writing or affiliate marketing. My answer goes along with what you mention about “If you make a wrong turn, you don’t give up.”
    How many times have you been in a hurry only to get behind a traffic backup at a stoplight or some person who doesn’t know the left lane is the fast lane. What happens when this happens? Do we just give up and turn around to go home because of a red light or a traffic jam? NO. Eventually the light will turn green, traffic will be diverted or the person in the fast lanes decides to get over.

Same thing with writing and affiliate marketing. How many give up simply because things do not happen in “their time frame?” Persistence, patience, and consistency are essential for success.
    Ken recently posted…Tips To Improve Your Hubpages IncomeMy Profile

10. Will says:

A very timely post, Felicia. Thanks.

11. Loretta says:

Felicia, it seems strange to me that whenever I am having a temporary “How long?” (before I see some significant results) moment, you write a post that lifts me out of the doldrums and vigorously shakes me back to my usual positive thinking self. You have done it again with this current post. I can’t say thank you often enough. As you continue to slay your own dragons, please keep offering motivation and inspiration to those of us who are trying to push the door open wide enough to get a firm foothold in it, so that we can see financial benefits from the labor of our love — writing.
    Loretta recently posted…Facebook Friends- Are They Real or MemorexMy Profile