Secrets to Success on Constant ContentCeleste Stewart has sold over 2,500 articles on Constant-Content and she shares her secrets in her book Secrets to Success on Constant-Content. Its a must read for anyone serious about making money on Constant-Content.

Serenity Now

Serenity Now!

Serenity Now!

I had to interrupt my 4-year online writing recap to inject this minor vent and wake up call.

For those of you who watched the TV show Seinfield, you know what I’m talking bout when I say “Serenity Now.”  For those of you who are not familiar with the show, here’s a clip of what I’m talking about

After my little Serenity Now vent I pulled out my Serenity Prayer and re-focused myself.

The Annoying Situation

Yesterday was an interesting day.  I checked my stats this morning only to find that eHow didn’t update their numbers and Suite…well good old Suite.  They had a software glitch (at least I hope they did) and my earnings were at a record low (yep…66 cents).Hissy Fit

I must admit that I was pretty annoyed to find that both eHow and Suite did not properly update their numbers on the same day.  I’m a stats junkie and such an occurrence is a real annoyance.

Things I Cannot Change

Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do about how and when eHow and Suite report their numbers.  I can complain and rant and rave, but that gets me nowhere.  It also opens the door to negative energy and I’ve been working hard on putting a lock on that door.

What I can do, however, is decide where to place my online writing efforts.  Earning money by writing for online content sites is exciting.  Content sites get great traffic and they are a great venue for learning how to write online.  Some folks make it their first and last stop when it comes to online writing.

Adding Eggs to My Own Writing Basket

As much as I try to diversify my writing, I realize that a large part of my online content is placed on sites other than my own.  Wait, let me rephrase that.  A large portion of my money making content is placed on sites other than my own (I have a lot of content here on NJFM but it’s not a money maker).

The double software glitch was the wakeup call that I needed.

Time for More Focused Changes

I did mention that this year was going to be a year of focus for me.  To that end, my next goal is to increase the number of articles on my own sites/blogs to match and exceed the amount I have placed on sites that I don’t own. It’s time to add more eggs to my own basket.

When I first started with eHow I challenged myself to write 100 articles in one month.  I accomplished that task and have been reaping the benefits of my work ever since.  Never have I challenged myself to produce that amount of content for my own sites.  Why?  Dunno.

This is really puzzling to me because I’m earning just as much with one of my blogs as I earn from Suite and my blog has ¼ the amount of content.  You would think that I’d take the time to beef up the content to increase my earnings.Peace

Serenity Now

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I can’t change how and when eHow and Suite report their figures, but I can sure as heck build my own online arsenal so that if the same thing happens next year, I’ll be less affected by the lack of reporting.

Every once in a while I need a bit of a wakeup call.  Thanks eHow and Suite for the swift kick!

Enough of my rant…I will now return to my 4-year online writing recap…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Earning MoneyeHowFeaturedLegitimateOpportunitiesResidual IncomeSuite 101

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (10)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Christina Crowe says:

Hey Felicia,

I, too, get so frustrated when eHow doesn’t update their earning stats. I noticed that this happens every now and then, and, while sometimes they update earnings at a usual hour, often it’s random throughout the day – and it gets me so aggravated when I’m trying to keep track of my stats!

But, like you said, you can’t change anything. You just have to keep moving forward.

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted..Understanding Link Wheels and Avoiding Sandboxes- The Beginner’s Guide

2. I’m with you all the way. I’ve had the exact same kind of wake-up call. While I’ve been doing really good building my blogs, I really need to focus on my poor website!
    Alina Bradford recently posted..January 2011 Freelance Writing Earnings Update

3. I am a junkie too! If I don’t see my numbers first thing in the morning it can ruin my entire day. I understand where you are coming from on that one!
    Mandy Robinson recently posted..Reasons Why I Love Residual Income

4. Chrystal says:

I think Angie has become sort of a mentor to me :) I have been trying to make my own websites the main source of my revenue share, but it seems like the other websites make me more money, no matter how many backlinks I do. I just started putting all of my efforts into residuals this year having had enough of the lack of decent titles to write, crazy guidelines, and clients coming & going. This is the year I want it all to be about me!

Felicia, you have a ton of information here that I have been (lurking) sifting through for quite some time. I know you have a helped a lot of others in your journey!
    Chrystal recently posted..eZine Link Swap

5. It’s funny – no matter how devoted I am to my goals or how focused I think I am, it seems like I’m always in need of at least a slight kick in the butt to really get me going. Thanks for sharing!
    Master Dayton recently posted..How Are You Going to Bust Through- A Freelance Writing Rant

6. Ken says:

Yea those stats can sometimes be a little disheartening. You are so on the money though with placing more content on your own sites. It is easy to point a finger at outside sites when our money dips, but ultimately we are our own business.

I don’t know that the Google Chrome piece will play much of a role at this point. If anything it may have created another money-making opportunity for people to scam. Already people on Fiverr are offering to “block” competitors for folks. Time will tell however.
    Ken recently posted..Writing Gigs for 02-15-2010

7. Will says:

Another reason to put more effort into your own websites is Google’s “war on content farms.” I think it’s safe to infer that Google considers eHow/Demand Media, AOL’s Seed and Yahoo’s Associated Content to be content farms:

Will recently posted..Who will survive Google’s war on weak web content

Thanks for sharing that Will. Makes me wonder how many folks use Chrome and if it will have much of an affect on search results. I guess only time will tell.

8. Angie says:

Felicia, this post really hits home with some things that are going on recently. I have plenty of sites of my own that need/deserve more attention, but there is a sense of safety when you place your energy elsewhere. Not safety that someone else is going to ensure it reaches its utmost potential. Instead, I think it is more of a safety that the blame can be placed elsewhere. Does that make sense? There is at times that internal, unconscious avoidance of taking full responsibility for my own success or failure.
    Angie recently posted..Don’t Put All of Your Eggs in Amazon Affiliate Program Basket

Angie, I know what you mean. I’m learning to consciously look at every situation to see what, if anything, I can do to change it. As freelance writers, we have a lot more control over our outcome than we are willing to admit. All too often, as you say, we like to place the blame elsewhere.

The minute we realize we don’t like a situation, it’s time to start brainstorming and developing a plan for getting out of it. Life is too short for us to spend so much time in non productive or less than optimal situations.

Changes don’t occur over night, but if we plant the right seeds something positive should grow. Early on I realized up front pay wasn’t right for me so I instituted a plan to get out of the up front pay rut. It didn’t happen over night, but it is happening.

Similarly, I’m not real happy about the lack of income reporting control at eHow and Suite. I can’t change it, but I can institute a few changes to mitigate their overall affect on my income. It takes time, planning and patience.