Smelling the Roses

| January 21, 2011
Smelling the Roses

R & R

I think I need to take a little time to smell the roses.  Over the past four years I’ve spent quite a bit of time writing on line.  I’ve spent quite a bit of time wasting my time online too.  It just seems that I always have a computer attached to the end of my fingers and I think it’s time to take a little break.

Slowing the Pace

I don’t intend to stop writing all together, but I am slowing things down. After reviewing my numbers over the past few years I realize that I’ve instituted a pretty good base for growing residual income.  I’m ¾ of the way to my second income goal (the first was to replace my part-time job’s income through freelance writing) and need to take time to regroup.Muse Chat

Working smarter is always better than working harder.  What I’ve been doing has worked well so far, but I think it’s time to modify or supplement my portfolio. I’m starting to get bored. How to modify or supplement my portfolio will only reveal itself if I take a bit of time to confer with my muse.

Beauty of Residual Income

I know I’ve said this before and will probably say it many times to come, but I love residual income.  If it weren’t for residual income I wouldn’t be able to slow things down to have a heart to heart with my muse.

I think Ken over at The Freelancer Today says it perfectly.  His most recent post entitled How Writing for Content Sites Stunts Your Growth pretty much summarizes the NJFM blog.

If I get too Zen like in my smelling the roses muse conference and forget to return to posting here on NJFM, you can always get great content by visiting Ken’s site. In the meanwhile, consider developing your online writing business with the future in mind.  A few years from now you may need to take time off from writing to chat with your muse…will you be able to?

Tags: ,

Category: Freelance, Self Employed, Writing

1. cadebe says:

I echo the other sentiments, Felicia. No Job For Mom is an invaluable resource for me and countless others. Everyone deserves time off and you are no exception. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know you will have even greater insights when you return!

2. Prerna says:

OMG! When I read the first few lines, I thought you were stopping to write here at NJFM and I yelled so loud I scared my toddler.. Okay, now that I’m calmer and get the drift of your post, I’m happier.. much happier.. You’re my go-to for everything writing-related.. inspiration, motivation,education..
    Glad you’re taking time to reflect, regroup and reconnect with your muse.. but can’t wait for you to be back!
    Prerna recently posted…Experience Love- Forgiveness and Peace with The Search by Suzanne Woods Fisher – A ReviewMy Profile

LOL! Prerna, you caused me to spray my tea all over my keyboard. 🙂

Give your little girl a big hug from me (sorry to have scared her). 🙂

3. Kidgas says:

Enjoy your time of reflection but please don’t disappear. At least come by once a month or so since so many of us would miss you and let us know what you are learning from your time away. I am sure you will have new and wonderful insights. God bless!
    Kidgas recently posted…Celebrating Small VictoriesMy Profile

4. Felicia says:

Thanks for all of the well wishes, guys. It’s just another phase in my online writing career. As you progress in yours, you’ll notice different phases. I think because I’m older (or wiser), I’m learning to go with the flow and embrace the changes.

A few short years ago I would have forced myself to work through this phase, but instead I’m embracing it to see where it leads. It may lead me right back to where I was before or maybe not, who knows. Wherever it leads, I’m going to enjoy the ride. 🙂

5. Deanna says:

Good for you! You have worked hard and built up a wonderful residual income (as far as I’m concerned) and deserve a break to do something different. Enjoy smelling the roses (ours are under 10 feet of snow!) and let those new ideas flow! 🙂
    Deanna recently posted…Parenting Magazine Resource PageMy Profile

6. Judith P. says:

Take all the time you need Felicia, we’ll all still be here when you get back. I have to say I will miss you. I may not always comment because of time restraints but I do follow you faithfully.

7. Will says:

Perhaps this is a signal that you are close to achieving your goal. Last year, you reminded me to write for my blog at my own pace. It’s nice to see you’re heeding your own advice. Enjoy your time away from the keyboard.

Congrats on your decision to take it easier and re-group – you’ve certainly earned it. This is what you’ve been working toward all along, right? And getting accustomed to a less intensive writing life before you hit the road in that RV will help you more fully enjoy the freedom. But like Grandma says, don’t disappear! While there are many great sites (Ken at the top of the list), there is only one Felicia:)
    Crystal recently posted…Save BIG on College CostsMy Profile

9. Ken says:

Wow. Just wow. I read this post Felicia and I am still kinda picking up my lower jaw. But you are so right about taking the time to smell the rose and taking time for yourself. The great thing about residual income and about building a freelance writing business is that in time, we can and should take some much needed and deserved time-off.

It is a lot of work to build an income base, as you relate to us in your posts and life. But it is work that is so satisfying and well worth the time.

Your writing through No Job For Mom has encouraged, motivated and inspired many people and will continue to do so for many more years to come.

You truly are an inspiration Felicia and you touch many lives every day in positive ways.

Psst…btw, we won’t let you forget to post here because we will be screaming from the mountain top looking for you. 🙂 You are a muse to many yourself. 🙂
    Ken recently posted…How Writing For Money at Up-Front Content Sites Stunts Your GrowthMy Profile

10. Grandma says:

Nicely put, Felicia, and good timing. I will browse through Ken’s website today and find more inspiration, for sure!

Just don’t disappear from your NJFM family while on vacation or retirement…you are the glue, you know!

Taking a day off or time to smell the roses is indeed necessary. I did that yesterday, and it was hard to go all day without writing anything at all that would pay cash.

On the other hand, I did manage to write something for myself of a personal nature that finally solved a huge problem. This, in the end, will be more valuable to me than any article pay would have been. Without the time to think of something else, this problem would still be a roadblock.

I have set up my goals sheet for 2011, my target list, my income chart, and now a daily “success list” to help keep myself focused. Still trying to cut down on the Internet time waste. That is a hard habit to control because losing time online is so very easy to do.

Thank you for you constant thoughts and advice. I know I am just one of many who appreciates every tidbit you publish.

Like it says in the song lyrics that Dwight Yokam (love his long blue jeaned legs) sang….”baby, things change”.

Grandma, I like the idea of the “success list.” We all concentrate on the “to do” list and forget to celebrate our successes.

No, I won’t forget about NJFM, it’s a part of me. Not writing here is like telling me to stop breathing. 🙂

As far as inspiration goes, I think we all inspire each other. So many of my posts and articles are inspired by you guys. There’s no way I can turn my back on NJFM.