Which Road are You On?

| January 8, 2011

Road to SuccessThis post was inspired by Ira’s last post, Internet Marketing and Article Writing are a Matter of Inches, where he plainly lays out the two options for internet marketers (and freelance writers). Either you quit or you continue on the road to success.  He’s absolutely correct.  There will be detours along the way, but you really only have two options.

The Non-Productive DetourDetour

Then I got to thinking.  If there are only two roads to take (quit or continue), why do so many folks take the non-productive detour down 3C Drive?  I’m sure we’ve all taken that wrong turn once or twice.  Some of us realize we made a wrong turn and get off of 3C Drive as soon as we realize we’re on it, while other folks continue further and further down the road derailing their own success and the success of others.

Where is 3C Drive?

3C Drive stands for Complaining, Comparing and Criticizing.  I’m sure we all know folks stuck on that road.

Complaining: No matter what happens, the first response of a person on 3C Drive is to complain.  If there is a software glitch, a formatting change or even a guideline change, it’s met with a complaint.  The further this person travels down the non-productive road, the louder the complaints get.  The complaints start to affect those around them.3C Drive

Comparing: Not happy with their progress (how could they be, they’re traveling down the wrong road), they start comparing their progress to everyone else’s.  Their skewed comparison leads them to the conclusion that the other person must be cheating the system, doesn’t have a life, has nothing better to do but write/market all day, and on and on.  Instead of admiring and emulating others success, they are jealous and green with envy.

Criticizing: Man, I know we all have heard this one (The Sourpuss Award comes to mind).  They criticize other people for doing what they have Waldoto do. They blame folks for the economic downturn, lowering the freelance writing pay scale, the demise of so many magazine and newspaper companies, global warming and their inability to find Waldo.

Make the U-Turn

I’m not going to play holier than thou, I’ve been known to complain a time or five (like there are dishes in the sink as we speak and I didn’t put them there). I’ve spent my time traveling down 3C Drive.  Fortunately, when I realize I’m on the wrong road, I make a U turn and get off of the road as soon as possible.

Ultimately, there is only one road that I want to get on and stay on and that’s the road to success.  As Ira mentioned in his post, there may be trouble along the way, but you either “bear down and gain another inch, or quit and go home.”

Which road are you on?

Tags: ,

Category: Motivation

1. rosanava says:

Straight to the point! Thanks ma’am, while reading your post it just came across my mind what character I have in me that creeps for so long.
    rosanava recently posted…Offsite Data StorageMy Profile

2. Lavinia says:

Straight path to the success! Keep moving forward to your goal!
    Lavinia recently posted…Unclaimed funds Texas search for unclaimed funds in TexasMy Profile

3. rashimit says:

yOU GOT ME THERE! i AM WITH THE 3c dRIVE THEN QUIT. As if you were talking to me. but really this post just make me stop and think over things. Thanks very much, this is a very valuable post, not only for bloggers but it can be applied through any life’s challenges.
    rashimit recently posted…dating chatMy Profile

4. Cynthia says:

Keep moving forward! Be motivated to strive for your gaols..
    Cynthia recently posted…Dont let black mould ruin your healthMy Profile

5. sunshinealo says:

Though I don’t have the character of the 3 C’s but the fear of inadequacy always makes me left out with my plans. You really put all those C’s in a very simplified form. Though it does not only can be applied to net marketing but to the real life itself. Thanks for a good post.
    sunshinealo recently posted…dating websiteMy Profile

6. William Tha Great says:

Hey Felicia,

Thanks for the awesome post!

You are right there is only 2 roads. The road to success and the road to failure. I have been one to compare myself to another blogger and wonder why i wasn’t getting the same results. I had to realize that we aren’t the same person. So were not going to have e same level of success. Now I see that my mindset was the very thing holding me back.

Personally, I going to do everything within my power to stay on the road to success. With your help I’m sure theres nothing I can’t accomplish.

Thanks again!

God bless,
    William Veasley
    William Tha Great recently posted…Go 100 Percent All Day Every Day!My Profile

7. Mark says:

Inspiring post, Felicia. It’s much easier to complain and sit around on your hands than actually do the work to find the success. I think the problem a lot of people have (myself included at times) is that it often takes a lot of work upfront with very few rewards before you start seeing a snowball effect of dollars and cents rolling into your accounts. But that does eventually happen if you keep at it.

8. The Modern Scribe says:

Hi Felicia!
    It’s my first time commenting here, I love your site, you have inspired me.
    Check out my new blog. I just mentioned you on it and hope you don’t mind:)
    You were the one who first opened my eyes to the online options!
    Please tell me what you think of it and any comments are most welcome!
    It’s brand new with more to come.

Congrats on your new blog and thanks for the mention. It’s a nice theme and easy to read. Find your blogging groove and stick with it. I wish you the best.

9. Grandma says:

Saw a good sermon on tv by Joel Osteen the other night. Seemed to be just for me, too, but the idea applies to all.

He was commenting about when things do not go our way. The closed door. You have no doubt heard the saying about how God never closes one door without opening another. This sermon point was something like do not sit and complain about the closed door because God (or the Universe as you will) put it there because there is something else better waiting for you, an open door He wants you to go through.

This can apply to many things, failed relationships, betrayals, (Judas), and even work. Just keep looking, you will eventually find that open door that is just for you. Remember, we are sort of stubborn and resistant when we want something we cannot have or get. It can be hard to stop looking one way and start looking in another direction, especially if we are certain the first direction would be “right” for us. Apparently we do not always know right from wrong. But He does.

You’re right Grandma. Every time a door closes there’s always a bigger and better opportunity waiting. Sometimes you have to search a bit to find it, but it’s there.

10. Mandy says:

Great post and timely too! This morning I received an article rewrite from Demand(ing). Then, in an attempt to really sabotage my sense of self-confidence, took a look at my ratings and found that an editor on a previous article rated my research “poor.” It wasn’t, and the article now requiring a rewrite really doesn’t either.

Criticisms like these are tough to swallow. Like many, I am sure, I like to think this writing gig is the only perfect job for me because I am just that darned good!

Talent is only 10 percent of getting there. 90 percent is doing the follow-through. It requires mental toughness. It means not looking to the Universe (or editors, or talent) for permission to play the game.

If you think you don’t have the mental toughness, yet, don’t worry . . . the Universe will keep doing for you what it has done for me, that is, giving you many opportunities to develop it!

Well said, Mandy.

• Ira says:

I am big on the thought that the Universe gives you what you want, too 😉

The way I see things, you have to have a thick skin to do anything on the Internet. Any time you put yourself out there, you’re open to someone else’s interpretation of what they “think” is the perfect example of something. Even if you know you did the right thing, there will be those that disagree.

The main thing to remember is that you’ll disagree, too 😉 As you imply, just keep plugging along, and you’ll get the editors that are going to mesh with you.
      Ira recently posted…Tablets and Payment Options – What You Should KnowMy Profile

11. Ira says:

Felicia, I am so glad to see that my article inspired you!

Your take on the 3Cs is absolutely perfect and goes right along with the thought of inches in business. We sometimes focus so much on those 3Cs that we don’t realize we’ve been making progress, one step at a time.

We sometimes can get ourselves in the mode where we’re seeing the trees but not the forest, and it’s an unfortunate event, because if we COULD see it, we’d know just how big we’re growing.

Thanks so much for being here to help us all help ourselves by sharing!
    Ira recently posted…Internet Marketing and Article Writing are a Matter of InchesMy Profile

12. Amanda says:

When I decided to take on freelancing, I told myself one thing: never say “no” to myself, never complain. If I am in a rut, I am the only person who is responsible for what I did, or didn’t. I have only myself to blame.

If things don’t go as I planned, what I should do is to find a way to hack the problem. I tell myself that it’s not what you do, but how you do that really matters. I convince myself to believe that there are always more than one way to do things. If one way sucks, try the other. Even though the alternative is not the best one, I have found another way to do what I must do, and my task is done, from my own perspective.

I think all this is somewhat related to 3C.

@Ken, your comment about giving up just before a breakthrough reminds me of “The Dip.” It’s a long story that I won’t get into, but in order to jump higher you have to crouch down to get your legs into a position to push yourself up. Unfortunately too many folks don’t understand that in business and they give up right at the dipping point. If they only knew that they were positioning themselves for great rewards.

@Kidgas, golf is a perfect analogy. Golf is a game of inches and you’ll drive yourself crazy comparing yourself to the greats. In my opinion, self comparison is the road to self improvement.

@Prerna, for some reason, I cannot imagine you on 3C Drive. LOL. You seem to stare adversity in the face and take it head on.

@Amanda, I’d say that’s definitely related to 3C! Sounds like you’ve got the right mindset to go far.

13. Prerna says:

Totally agree with you, Felicia.. Last year I was tempted more than once to go down the detour to the 3Cs.. but am glad I didn’t…
    Prerna recently posted…How to Have Organized and Happy Morning and Evening RoutinesMy Profile

14. Kidgas says:

Hadn’t heard of 3C drive but clearly an accurate concept. I do my best to keep plugging away and comparing myself to my previous results like I do in golf. If I compare myself to Tiger or Phil Mickelson, I would get depressed. But when I consider where I started and how far I have come, then I feel motivated to keep improving.
    Kidgas recently posted…Earnings Report for Fourth Quarter 2010My Profile

15. Ken says:

3C Drive. I love it. Lived on that street before. Moved out to Successville. lol. Great post Felicia. I tried bringing up Ira’s blog but I keep getting 404’d. Might be Firefox.

Both of you are spot on. Many people give up just as they are about to make a breaktrough either in IM or freelance writing. Both career paths, or a combination of them, require time and work for true success. Something not many people want to accept. Everybody is looking for the knowledge or the “magic pill” that will lead them to the financial freedom they desire. The knowledge is all around…your blog is a prime example. It is a matter of taking the knowledge and “working” as well as continuing to move forward one step, one dime, one sale, one article or one site at a time.
    Ken recently posted…One Week Marketing Plan For Making Money PLUS a FREE BonusMy Profile