Suite Making it Sweeter

| January 2, 2011

Suite 101As I was going through my year end numbers, I was seriously considering dropping Suite 101 from my freelance writing arsenal.  Well, let me rephrase that. I wouldn’t drop Suite entirely, but I was seriously considering stepping down as a Feature Writer because the financial return for meeting the once a week writing obligation was barely worth it.

I made 40% less at the end of the year with Suite than I did at the beginning of the year (this with adding 65 articles during the year).  The per article rate was quickly dropping so I thought of concentrating my efforts elsewhere.

Suite 101 Sweetens the Pot

Effective January 1, 2011, Suite made a few changes.  Feature Writers with over 300 articles will now earn a 40% bonus (instead of the current 30% bonus for FW’s with over 50 articles).  Additionally, they’re instituting bonuses for Contributing Writers also.  Non Feature Writers with 300 articles will now receive a 20% bonus.

Because I’ve taken such a financial hit this year with Suite, I’m hoping that the 40% bonus will turn things around and eventually bring me to my pre-drop levels (I’ve got to add an additional 42 articles to partake of the bonus).

Giving Suite 101 Credit

I’ve got to hand it to Suite 101, however.  How many sites will offer a larger compensation to keep its writers happy? Suite heard the many complaints from its writers and they have been moving heaven and earth to make us happy.  They’ve not only instituted these changes, but they’ve been working on providing a per article earnings breakdown for the FWs (I believe this info will be offered to Contributing Writers too, but I’m not 100% sure).

To top it off, over the holidays Suite 101 suffered major computer, hardware and database issues (they’re trying to build a stronger infrastructure).  The details aren’t worth going into at this point, but they’ve been putting out fires left and right in addition to trying to satisfy its many writers.

Suite 101 LoyaltySuite Bonus

I’m a loyal type of gal and have found Suite 101 to be loyal also.  I usually don’t stick with a website when my income drops so drastically, but because I started writing for Suite 101 in 2007 and they helped me to “discover” residual income, I can’t turn my back on them now.  This move on Suite 101’s part has done much to renew my respect and loyalty to the folks behind the Suite 101 banner.

I’ve got to be honest, however.  If this recent development had occurred beyond the first quarter of 2011, I might not have been around to enjoy it.  I was very close (and I mean real close) to dropping Suite 101 from my arsenal.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Legitimate, Opportunities, Suite 101

1. Christine says:

Could you elaborate on how to become a Feature writer, as opposed to a contributing writer for Suite 101? I don’t write for Suite101 yet, and the different levels are not outlined on their upfront info.

Christine, sound like you’re putting the cart before the horse. Once you’re approved as a CW, you have to demonstrate expertise in an area before becoming a FW if there’s a spot available. But, first things first…become a Contributing Writer.

2. Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet says:

I was seriously considering dropping Suite as well, although I have much less invested in the site. However, with all the new changes they have been making, I think I’ll stick around a bit longer.
    Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet recently posted…Pen Meets Wallet Has Moved!My Profile

It’s really a daily dilemma with me. I’m making less money this January than I made last January. I’m going to struggle though and put up the additional 30 some odd articles I need to reach the 300 article mark and then re-evaluate it at that time.

It’s unfortunate that Suite is the only one of my online options that continually declines.

3. Josephine says:

I took a look at my $/1000PV figure at Suite 101.
    Then I logged into my Adsense account and took a look at the eCPM number, which is the same thing as $/kPV at Suite.

I am making about six times as much eCPM as $/kPV and I stay away from low CPC topics on both websites. The FW bonus is worth about 15% of your total earnings (or 20% of base) at suite. If you get $400/month, $60 is from the FW bonus for four or five articles per month. I think that is still worth it since you can grow the monthly revshare. But if your base earnings per month is low, then being a FW is not worth it.

I didn’t see a 40% haircut in earnings like you did, but I would have left if that happened to me.

I hear ya, Josephine. As far as leaving, I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. When you’ve earned over $13,000 with a site, you think long and hard before kicking them to the curb.

4. I have been considering dropping Suite as well. I don’t get hardly anything from them. For some reason, I thought the increase in commission for a CW was at 50 articles! I am no where near 300. I won’t drop them completely, but I will still throttle back. I hope these new changes will improve my earnings!
    Julie @ Inspired to Write recently posted…1 Tip for Becoming a Successful Freelance Writer- Stick With ItMy Profile

You’re right, Julie. There is one increase at 50 articles, but they’ve instituted another increase at 300 articles.

• Ira says:

I’ve been doing Suite for a little over 2 months now, myself, and though I am focusing primarily on my own websites at this point, for residual incomes without doing your own sites, Suite really is a good way to go.

Especially with this new change lol

Course, I still have, what, 280ish articles to go before I can touch that bonus? 😉 But that’s ok. Any increase is good increase, in my mind.
      Ira recently posted…Has Your Dogma Been Biting Your KarmaMy Profile

5. Prerna says:

Completely agree with you. Suite is quite the rockstar when it comes to residual-type sites. I’m happy about the 40% bonus too and while I have a longer way to go (80 odd articles), I’m hoping this will motivate me to reach there sooner. Hope it turns your numbers around too, Felicia.
    Prerna recently posted…2011 New Year Resolutions- Goals and Plans for The Mom WritesMy Profile